LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

From a cooling standpoint, the stock IC is better in EVERYWAY vs. the aftermarket. The tinhg the aftermarket ones do is allow more flow with less pressure drop. That is about all. Which actually makes for poorer cooling...

Thank you. :)

While the extra psi an aftermarket IC allows makes a difference to a VF40 scratching for every little bit, on a VF52 it does not. The VF52 has a lot more available than a Stg2 can use, and keeping the charge cool is the goal, not hp. An aftermarket IC on my car would "free up" a psi I'd then just have to tune away, to prevent increasing my already 100%+ IDCs. Then, I'd have the same power, but a warmer charge. I'd have increased my weight, raised my CG, and ensured continuous heatsoak in the city... all for only $500-$1200.

Until now, however, the 08+ WRX/LGT IC's fundamentally sound quality was overshadowed by its unreliability. No more.

From a cooling standpoint, the stock IC is better in EVERYWAY vs. the aftermarket. The tinhg the aftermarket ones do is allow more flow with less pressure drop. That is about all. Which actually makes for poorer cooling...

That actually isn't true.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thank you. :)

While the extra psi an aftermarket IC allows makes a difference to a VF40 scratching for every little bit, on a VF52 it does not. The VF52 has a lot more available than a Stg2 can use, and keeping the charge cool is the goal, not hp. An aftermarket IC on my car would "free up" a psi I'd then just have to tune away, to prevent increasing my already 100%+ IDCs. Then, I'd have the same power, but a warmer charge. I'd have increased my weight, raised my CG, and ensured continuous heatsoak in the city... all for only $500-$1200.

Until now, however, the 08+ WRX/LGT IC's fundamentally sound quality was overshadowed by its unreliability. No more.

1) The number of people on this LEGACY board that have VF52's is far less than the number of people on an IMPREZA board. You JUST said that an aftermarket IC makes a difference to a VF40, the turbo that the majority of us have. How can that be, if you ALSO say that the stock intercooler is better in every way than an aftermarket unit?

2) The "extra psi" is not an extra psi. It's one or two psi that aren't lost through the intercooler. That means that you can turn down the boost, have the same manifold pressure, and run cooler! Cooler air in, cooler air out.

3) Datalogs don't tell you anything about components you don't have. Again, you can run 100% IDC's without an intercooler. Does that mean that no intercooler is better than the stock intercooler?

4) In a daily driver, can you feel the difference in CG between a car with a sunroof and one without? No, you can't. No one can. A Sunroof raises the CG much more than an aluminum intercooler does. We aren't talking about 30 pounds, or 20 pounds, or 10 pounds here. We are talking about a marginal weight increase very close to the CG of the car. This is, quite possibly, your worst argument.

Do this. Find anyone running a stock intercooler with a 40+ lb-min turbo. Why do you think no one does it? Surely it isn't because of end tanks blowing up. Why are people wasting money on front mount intercoolers, when they can just clamp their stock ones and get away with running GT30R's?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Do this. Find anyone running a stock intercooler with a 40+ lb-min turbo. Why do you think no one does it? Surely it isn't because of end tanks blowing up. Why are people wasting money on front mount intercoolers, when they can just clamp their stock ones and get away with running GT30R's?

It's because 90% of people will put a new TMIC on because 'that is simply the next step'. You just do that on these cars.

Kinda like how it took 6 years to get people to stop doing a CAI as a first mod. And even then alot of people still think a CAI is still a first mod.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hmm, the OP did put an AEM CAI on the car after just a few weeks of ownership...

Have you SEEN the design of the stock intake :eek: very restrictive looking.

I have a AEM polished CAI from my '06 LGT for sale if you need it plus it looks cool. :)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I can absolutely tell the difference between cars that have a sunroof and ones that don't. If you put a dime anywhere in a car that I am driving I can feel the difference int he car's dynamics.

It is unfortunate that most drivers are not as in tune as I am.

I could tell you whether the dime was heads or tails up.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Hmm, the OP did put an AEM CAI on the car after just a few weeks of ownership...

In addition to a CBE, Cobb DB (Possibly UP too: not specified), lowered the temperature under the hood and fender from which the CIA draws from. (Via Ghetto Wrap :lol:)

Isn't that the basic fundamentals of boosted power: removing restrictions and lowering temperature?

Isn't that the basic fundamentals of boosted power: removing restrictions and lowering temperature?

i wonder if the world class engineers at fhi might have considered this when designing a compact lightweight intercooler which must sit confined atop a hot engine, often at rest?

I have read that every 10 degree decrease in intake temperature adds like 10 hp.

:lol:

Intake Temperature and Horsepower Loss

Estimate power loss or gains due to air temperature changes

HP Output = +1% HP per 10 degree temperature decrease

-1% HP per 10 degree temperature increase

It all adds up.

<topper>

i could tell you what year the dime was made.

</topper>

:lol::lol:

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.