LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

I will point this out... as you notice the rails you used are bowed in the middle, the result of tightening the ends well. Not a real issue, but I note it because pieces cut my spec snap firmly onto the IC and bed fully against all three interior surfaces... which while also will bow if overtightened, do not rely on being tightened whatsoever beyond merely snugged gently. The 'bolts' only serve to keep the rails on the seams, the rails holding the seams together.

Nevertheless, mister... good for you.

Yeah, I did tighten it down a bit much. HOWEVER... Not sure if you noticed what I said: I have one channel WITHIN another one. The one that's tightened is the outer one. The inner one is shorter, just enough to cover all the tabs, so I doubt it's bowed. The outer rail holds on the inner rail for the long part, so I'm not too worried about it..

Yeah, I did tighten it down a bit much. HOWEVER... Not sure if you noticed what I said: I have one channel WITHIN another one. The one that's tightened is the outer one. The inner one is shorter, just enough to cover all the tabs, so I doubt it's bowed. The outer rail holds on the inner rail for the long part, so I'm not too worried about it..

Nope, your're right I missed the rail within a rail part. And no doubt, it will protect your IC. But also no wonder it wouldn't fit where you mentioned, on the driver's side. That was actually the place I had to work outward from, since it was the most critical. The way my rails are made, with the hardware I also created since nothing I could find would fit, the "bolt" and rail fit perfectly right there, touching but not interfering with the BPV vacuum hose or the plastic crossover pipe for the PCV head air lines.

Nope, nothing to worry about there. You are an inventive original thinker, who also made his TMIC bulletproof... without JB Weld.:lol:

Although the new WRX is in almost all ways a legacy, it's also pleasantly different and weighs hundreds less. I like the hatch, and I like it being shorter.

The five speed is my kind of manual... four speed with overdrive. It has been many years, sadly, I realize now, since I gave up this kind of relationship between machine and me, in favor of the more urban convenience of an auto trans. Too long.

http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/brochures/2010_imprezawrx.pdf

So you have the WRX 5 door. Which, depending on whether it is the regular or premium trim, weighs anywhere between 3174 and 3229 lbs. Which indeed is not several hundreds less than a 3300 lbs Legacy GT. The difference curb weight wise is the tare weight of an anorexic girl on the high end or that of a larger dog on the low end.

http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/brochures/2010_imprezawrx.pdf

So you have the WRX 5 door. Which, depending on whether it is the regular or premium trim, weighs anywhere between 3174 and 3229 lbs. Which indeed is not several hundreds less than a 3300 lbs Legacy GT. The difference curb weight wise is the tare weight of an anorexic girl on the high end or that of a larger dog on the low end.

I understand that, though my reference is my 05 lgt 5EAT... it did weigh hundreds more. I loved that car... However, that said... I find here and there, everywhere, comments that echo my own opinion after my short ownership; the new WRX FEELS lighter. It's a quantum change. The owner of my coilovered and bushinged old LGT, and also part of a Subaru dealership, confided the same reluctant impression. Yesterday I had to downshift and take a corner much faster than I'd normally do... Mrs (on the phone) and groceries voiced silent reprimand, but the car just did it. Zero histrionics or protest.

It is out of this fundamental zone of pleasure with an automobile that I developed the TMIC mod. Some refinement here and there, maximize innate potential, enjoy. I do not need anything more to make every everyday ride a special one.

People always want what they think they don't have.

Nope, your're right I missed the rail within a rail part. And no doubt, it will protect your IC. But also no wonder it wouldn't fit where you mentioned, on the driver's side. That was actually the place I had to work outward from, since it was the most critical. The way my rails are made, with the hardware I also created since nothing I could find would fit, the "bolt" and rail fit perfectly right there, touching but not interfering with the BPV vacuum hose or the plastic crossover pipe for the PCV head air lines.

Interesting. I'd love to see your solution for that one up close and/or a parts list...

Hey, what is with the foil tape on your IC?

I've always used HVAC aluminum tape for heatshielding. It makes a difference.

Besides the endtank there, I have my pass side frame rail covered with it to cover holes there and to, again, shield some engine heat from influencing IATs due to my AEM CAI being in there.

It is also on the firewall where the downpipe passes. Same reasons.

But besides such uses, another picture I posted about the heatsink for the WB shows another use... I "wrapped" my Cobb dp's vertical third with multiple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, then bound it securely with the same HD HVAC aluminum tape. Also, I created an IR heatshield, to shield the intense IR from the turbo that "shines" right on the axel boot unless it's shielded. The stock shield has a double walled, asbestos? filled, section right there. That's to help extend that boot's life.

All part of rubbing the shine.

Interesting. Would you say that it's more effective then using header wrap on places such as the DP, UP? Also Ever thought about slipping on a silicone hose over the CIA?

But back on topic here. Ever thought about using some gasket maker (peramatex copper) in addition to the rails, or do you find that be overkill?

Interesting. Would you say that it's more effective then using header wrap on places such as the DP, UP? Also Ever thought about slipping on a silicone hose over the CIA?

But back on topic here. Ever thought about using some gasket maker (peramatex copper) in addition to the rails, or do you find that be overkill?

The IAT is measured by the sensor in the MAF assy, which on the AEM is up at the front of the pipe, and reflects only the temperature of the air that comes through the filter. Even if the CAI piping or any other part of the intake tract gets hot, it will never be indicated by the IAT reading. The piping is of little interest, however, as the air passes through it so quickly it's virtually affected by the piping walls. But, yes... I've thought about it.

By doing the things I've done so far I have changed the average low IAT of the untouched CAI installation from 9* above ambient, to only 5* above ambient. From the information provided by others with the same car, my 9* above ambient IAT temps are what anyone with the same CAI installation will get. Cutting that in half with very little effort will only make a small impact on power, but why leave it on the table.

As for the effectiveness of my ghetto wrap? :) It works. I didn't invent the idea, and others over the years have proven it works also. This was just how I did it. It was mainly to, again, reduce emitted heat from the downpipe... not any desire to affect gas flow. The axle boot is right there, as well as other heat sensitive stuff. The wrap keeps more of that heat in the dp until it is past the engine bay... better than not. Since I never compared, I don't know its relative effectiveness. But it can be touched, quickly, after use without burning my fingers. Adjacent parts do not get hot. AFAIC, it works.

The BP mod's mechanical clamping, alone, is more than adequate for making the IC impervious to any pressures it is going to see. In fact, it is overkill. Once installed you can forget the issue. Period.

Interesting. I'd love to see your solution for that one up close and/or a parts list...

As requested :). One pic shows the BPV sense tube tucked into place, held no harder than the clamps before and after it. In the other one I moved the hose to show the BPV recirc tube, etc.

You can see it fits just fine. However, this exercise has motivated me to take that bottom corner off the rails. I rounded them for aesthetics already, and to prevent scratched skin. But with a little more than rounding the rail will not touch the recirc tube at all. Tight for sure... like I said, it was that corner that dictated dimensions and hardware choices.

Thanks for your interest and input.

1129920347_BPModDriverSide-DSC00412.jpg.812ebdb05dbaa8a30866588ef7af3813.jpg

535881486_BPModDriverSide2-DSC00413.jpg.2b64ea986773caf33beeabf468914210.jpg

Hey, what is with the foil tape on your IC?

Here is a better pic of some of that ghetto heat shielding.

Also, an IR heatshield I made out of the HD foil and tape is attached to the back of the trimmed heatshield, inside lower half, that replaces the unmodified shield's double-walled shield there. Along with the shielding on the dp, it stops IR from cooking the axle boot. It's effective, and nobody sees it but me... til now. :lol:

2090053916_HVACHS-DSC00411.jpg.27cb1f793bd5e4cceb34167510249884.jpg

Is that galvanized hardware :eek:

Some I'm sure. Bunch o crap from Lowe's parts bins. :lol:

Marketing likes to call what the plated parts here are coted with as "Zinc." Like that's a good thing. :rolleyes:

Synthetic Zinc, BTW. :icon_mrgr

But seriously...

If I had my druthers, the hardware would be perfect length stainless with a flat head. The rails would be anodized. The bottom rails would have pressed-in lock nuts... so people could merely place rails, line up holes, and screw them together. No removing TMIC. None of my Rube Goldberg stuff... but hey, it works.

Edited by SeeeeeYa

There is another, of the routine many, thread on tmics on page 1 right now. Therein a poster said this:

The main benefit of an aftermarket TMIC IMO is from a reliability stand point, not having to worry about your stock TMICs endtanks blowing apart once you crank up the boost.

This is the thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/stage-2-plus-tmic-159170.html

What is a shame, is that the perfectly fine but homely plastic tmic has been soiled by the failed endtank seams so long most are blind to its intrinsic beauty.

Put aluminum endtanks on our oem IC and it would be a different story. Imagine.

The fact is, however, that that mythical all-aluminum TMIC would be inferior to the stock, modded, TMIC.

Quoted from Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw_out_the_baby_with_the_bath_water

Throw out the baby with the bath water is an idiomatic expression used to suggest an avoidable error in which something good is eliminated when trying to get rid of something bad,[1] or in other words, rejecting the essential along with the inessential

Take another look at the picture and accompanying text, especially in my NASIOC thread... a pressure significant enough to break the TMIC with this mod installed would be immensely destructive, beyond mere worry about an IC. The TMIC to TB hose would go at the least, long before the IC. But, no stock turbo, for certain, nor any aftermarket turbo either for that matter, can produce a pressure that will threaten the modified IC.

I actually bought five JB Weld packages, reluctantly committed to completely covering the tabs on my compromised IC. Knowing that it would work was countered by knowledge it would fail, too, as you and others have found. But beyond that, dealing with the messy ugliness was the main impetus for my mental search for an alternative. I just couldn't stand the thought.

thanks

The fact is, however, that that mythical all-aluminum TMIC would be inferior to the stock, modded, TMIC.

Land the plane. This isn't true. You have absolutely NO evidence to support this claim, other than the fact that your WRX (which is not a Legacy) is able to max out the injectors with the stock intercooler.

You could max out the injectors without an intercooler. Does that mean that your modified stock intercooler is inferior to no intercooler at all? You'd definitely be saving weight if you removed all of that pesky aluminum and plastic, and that would lower your CG. AND, it would improve your throttle response.

But, if you are completely oblivious to reality then I encourage you to continue admiring the "intrinsic beauty" of your wonderful car, and quote more cliche lines from wikipedia. It's clear that, no matter the facts presented, you'll continue to believe you are superior to all.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Land the plane. This isn't true. You have absolutely NO evidence to support this claim, other than the fact that your WRX (which is not a Legacy) is able to max out the injectors with the stock intercooler.

You could max out the injectors without an intercooler. Does that mean that your modified stock intercooler is inferior to no intercooler at all? You'd definitely be saving weight if you removed all of that pesky aluminum and plastic, and that would lower your CG. AND, it would improve your throttle response.

But, if you are completely oblivious to reality then I encourage you to continue admiring the "intrinsic beauty" of your wonderful car, and quote more cliche lines from wikipedia. It's clear that, no matter the facts presented, you'll continue to believe you are superior to all.

People who go through life looking for windmills to joust with... are often found around windmills, going in circles.

Evidence and proof are for people who cannot think clearly, who are unable to choose a direction without a sign to point the way. When they do find that sign and join the queue, eyes on the paved path, someone else is in front with unproven ideas.

Stock or otherwise, an intercooler has little to do with injectors. This WRX, and every other similarly configured platform... STIs, all 09+ WRXs for example... max out their injectors at Stg2. It's known history. But, an STI doesn't have to worry about an intercooler when they make more power, WRXs do, LGTs do. My tongue isn't occluding MY eye teeth.

Fact is, the legacygt.com forums have always been full of failed intercooler threads. I should know, right? They can't make the power of a new WRX, stock, but the ICs similarly fail. It is a no-brainer to conclude people might like to be able to cheaply ensure the integrity of their LegacyGT's otherwise confidence draining IC. Not everyone needs, wants, or can afford another intercooler. But, everyone wants reliability. Hating a WRX for being more powerful and NOT a legacy and and and ... will help no one. My old LGT was much more powerful than my WRX. It can still kick my car's butt. Makes me proud, not envious.

It takes no rocket scientist to grasp my comparison. Why do you think STI's have water sprayers... to combat heatsoak from those large all aluminum ICs. If you've autoxed, where heatsoak makes a BIIIIIG difference, you know a little water does nothing of value other than that. The plastic endtanked LGT/WRX TMIC in unarguably superior when it comes to heatsoak. Its size is adequate for a DD with 300ish whp. People happy with those FACTS don't NEED any aftermarket IC.

The new WRXs are, in fact, excellent cars... for what they are. They're no STI, despite similar Stg1-2 power. They are a shortened Legacy GT. The issues the WRX faces, LGTs face as well... especially (and this is what this thread is about BTW :) ) their TMICs.

Data logs are what I call facts. The chitter chatter of ground squirrels and thread trolls are more difficult to quantify.

Edited by SeeeeeYa

Evidence and proof are for people who cannot think clearly, who are unable to choose a direction without a sign to point the way. When they do find that sign and join the queue, eyes on the paved path, someone else is in front with unproven ideas.

This will make a good sig line for someone.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So we don't need proof or evidence unless we're morons and couldn't figure it out on our own. You're gonna rock the whole educational world with thinking like that. You could even end up as a professor at some Ivy league.

I like the Don Quixote thrown in there too for some extra flare

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

People who go through life looking for windmills to joust with... are often found around windmills, going in circles.

Stock or otherwise, an intercooler has little to do with injectors. This WRX, and every other similarly configured platform... STIs, all 09+ WRXs for example... max out their injectors at Stg2. It's known history. But, an STI doesn't have to worry about an intercooler when they make more power, WRXs do, LGTs do. My tongue isn't occluding MY eye teeth.

Fact is, the legacygt.com forums have always been full of failed intercooler threads. I should know, right? They can't make the power of a new WRX, stock, but the ICs similarly fail. It is a no-brainer to conclude people might like to be able to cheaply ensure the integrity of their LegacyGT's otherwise confidence draining IC. Not everyone needs, wants, or can afford another intercooler. But, everyone wants reliability. Hating a WRX for being more powerful and NOT a legacy and and and ... will help no one. My old LGT was much more powerful than my WRX. It can still kick my car's butt. Makes me proud, not envious.

It takes no rocket scientist to grasp my comparison. Why do you think STI's have water sprayers... to combat heatsoak from those large all aluminum ICs. If you've autoxed, where heatsoak makes a BIIIIIG difference, you know a little water does nothing of value other than that. The plastic endtanked LGT/WRX TMIC in unarguably superior when it comes to heatsoak. Its size is adequate for a DD with 300ish whp. People happy with those FACTS don't NEED any aftermarket IC.

The new WRXs are, in fact, excellent cars... for what they are. They're no STI, despite similar Stg1-2 power. They are a shortened Legacy GT. The issues the WRX faces, LGTs face as well... especially (and this is what this thread is about BTW :) ) their TMICs.

Data logs are what I call facts. The chitter chatter of ground squirrels and thread trolls are more difficult to quantify.

So clearly this thread is a joke. You keep your head in the clouds, and your car on a pedestal. I'll keep my feet on the ground, and my decisions based on science and engineering knowledge. If that means that, in your opinion, I'm running in circles around a windmill, then so be it.

Keep your "eye teeth" to yourself.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So we don't need proof or evidence unless we're morons and couldn't figure it out on our own. You're gonna rock the whole educational world with thinking like that. You could even end up as a professor at some Ivy league.

I like the Don Quixote thrown in there too for some extra flare

As long as I've known you, you've scoffed at convention. :lol: It took me a long time but I eventually came to appreciate your... inputs. But you, among few, live in a transparent house, and any stone toward me will surely land somewhere near you as well. Besides, you know what I meant.

Seriously however... despite my not being good brown nosing the public, where is the message flawed. We already know the messenger sucks. :cool:

From a cooling standpoint, the stock IC is better in EVERYWAY vs. the aftermarket. The tinhg the aftermarket ones do is allow more flow with less pressure drop. That is about all. Which actually makes for poorer cooling...
:spin: