LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

• 2 months later...
I'm not sure if Barman is making them still but here are some kits available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-LGT-WRX-FXT-Bullet-Proof-Intercooler-TMIC-Upgrade/332520949583

I saw that. I've been in contact with the seller, and I just went ahead and bought one, because I need this sooner rather than later.

I'm doing some more upgrades: currently have BNR 16g turbo and mild tune from cryotune (highly recommended if you can do opensource etuning). About to do catted downpipe, and K&N short ram intake with another tuning session from cryotune. My current top mount IC looks like the tabs are starting to pull, and I've heard nothing but great things about this mod.

• Moderators

Hey folks, I still have material sitting in my garage, but encourage you to buy what you can find that's available.

I've struggled with whether there is continued interest, but you guys keep coming and folks are definitely still interested. I'll try to dig through my emails over the weekend to supply instructions / design details for anyone hoping to make their own, and with my garage finally cleaned up I'll update after this weekend whether material will actually be ready to go to the machine shop.

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

OK. Large batch of material is cut and ready for machine shop. I'll get it over there this week or beginning of next. As soon as it is at the shop, I'll open up ordering for the number of kits being produced. If it gets anywhere close to filling out, I'll prep more material and drop it off when I pick up the first round from the shop.

Thanks to everyone that continues to express interest, I'm sorry for the delays and lack of communication.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is really great to hear, although it would’ve been nice to have the information promulgated more directly and formally.

Still, I'm glad the community has a resource and that the BPTMIC Mod is alive and well...

Long live the great LGT!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I read part of this thread and couldn't help but read more. It's like watching Tiger King with Exotic Joe explaining that facts, reason, and science are for pencil pushers. I got a great kick out of it. Thank you to everyone for the interesting read and thread-theatre.

Things I have learned on this thread:

1. A Semi-truck would benefit from replacing it's heavy "heat sink" radiator with a Honda Civic radiator because it can heat up/down faster (ignoring surface area of the larger radiator) and the larger radiator only acts as a heat sink. Having the smallest possible volume of water in a radiator is superior because the temperature can change more quickly, which is a good thing. A radiator the size of Lake Michigan would only act as a heat sink with consistent temperatures, which is bad. Temperatures that swing the most wildly are preferable.

2. Each individual cm^2 of an IC does not transfer thermal energy equally if one intercooler is 10 inches long compared to one that is 20 inches long because the metal is self aware. The metal used in larger intercoolers is quite lazy, per unit of area, and does not work as hard as the same unit area of metal in smaller intercoolers.

3. 10cm^2 of a smaller intercooler will cool air better than 10cm^2 of a larger intercooler. In fact, if a person were able to take an aftermarket IC and then cut it down to the size of the stock size, it would work better, but not as good as the stock IC.

4. Plastic end caps are great insulators, which means they protect against heat transfer.

5. Surface area is the enemy of heat transfer

6. If intake air has more channels to flow through with greater internal fin structure as well as greater external surface transfer to the same airflow, that is bad. Somehow.

7. Stock is always best. Manufacturers tune their vehicles to the best possible performance and reliability for that specific vehicle, without other production concerns, internal politics, and external factors.

8. A person that is 6'4" driving a Subaru would add way too much off-center mass above the center of gravity compared to a person that is 5'8". In fact, the car would be nearly undriveable and may flip or slide off the road, ignoring off center changes in stereo weights, speakers, windshield changes in weight, and other factors that changed pounds of weight in ceiling mass. There is no way that a taller person could beat a shorter person around a track. In fact, if a car has an empty roof rack, the same car without a roof rack would beat it every time.

9. R&D departments are pointless, especially aftermarket competitors and race and rally teams.

10. Science, evidence, facts, and controlled testing are for people that don't "believe".

Anyway, thanks everyone. I have to imagine that a lot of people were just egging each other on with their arguments. In any case, this put a smile on my face in our weird times.

Edited by dahoseman

• 4 months later...
I read part of this thread and couldn't help but read more. It's like watching Tiger King with Exotic Joe explaining that facts, reason, and science are for pencil pushers. I got a great kick out of it. Thank you to everyone for the interesting read and thread-theatre.

Things I have learned on this thread:

1. A Semi-truck would benefit from replacing it's heavy "heat sink" radiator with a Honda Civic radiator because it can heat up/down faster (ignoring surface area of the larger radiator) and the larger radiator only acts as a heat sink. Having the smallest possible volume of water in a radiator is superior because the temperature can change more quickly, which is a good thing. A radiator the size of Lake Michigan would only act as a heat sink with consistent temperatures, which is bad. Temperatures that swing the most wildly are preferable.

2. Each individual cm^2 of an IC does not transfer thermal energy equally if one intercooler is 10 inches long compared to one that is 20 inches long because the metal is self aware. The metal used in larger intercoolers is quite lazy, per unit of area, and does not work as hard as the same unit area of metal in smaller intercoolers.

3. 10cm^2 of a smaller intercooler will cool air better than 10cm^2 of a larger intercooler. In fact, if a person were able to take an aftermarket IC and then cut it down to the size of the stock size, it would work better, but not as good as the stock IC.

4. Plastic end caps are great insulators, which means they protect against heat transfer.

5. Surface area is the enemy of heat transfer

6. If intake air has more channels to flow through with greater internal fin structure as well as greater external surface transfer to the same airflow, that is bad. Somehow.

7. Stock is always best. Manufacturers tune their vehicles to the best possible performance and reliability for that specific vehicle, without other production concerns, internal politics, and external factors.

8. A person that is 6'4" driving a Subaru would add way too much off-center mass above the center of gravity compared to a person that is 5'8". In fact, the car would be nearly undriveable and may flip or slide off the road, ignoring off center changes in stereo weights, speakers, windshield changes in weight, and other factors that changed pounds of weight in ceiling mass. There is no way that a taller person could beat a shorter person around a track. In fact, if a car has an empty roof rack, the same car without a roof rack would beat it every time.

9. R&D departments are pointless, especially aftermarket competitors and race and rally teams.

10. Science, evidence, facts, and controlled testing are for people that don't "believe".

Anyway, thanks everyone. I have to imagine that a lot of people were just egging each other on with their arguments. In any case, this put a smile on my face in our weird times.

Notice the silence? ;)

That's because the perspective of the person posting the above assumes his satire is funny... kind of like a foul mouthed commedian at a church service is. Wrong crowd son.

Many people like their LGTs just the way they came, or close to it. No big turbos, no big mods to threaten one of Subaru's most iconic models ever.

What those people want, whatever their minor upgrades, is an LGT that continues to function for as long as possible... without known failure issues haunting them. Some of those potential failure points are well known, as are their solutions. One, the subject of this thread, is the intercooler, and in these pages solutions are discussed... with the BPTMIC Mod the one unfailing solution for those who prefer to keep their LGT's motor inside the OEM envelope. For those who do upgrade their engine's power but don't intend to track their cars the OEM TMIC is still the better street use option... with the BPTMIC Mod providing failure proof longevity for whatever power those upgrades may present it.

But if you read the entire thread and not the parts you choose to mock, you'll find contradictions that compromise your act... that people with power upgrades tracked their LGTs, many times, all without failure to their BPTMIC Modded OEM TMIC. You'll also find one other very important fact: Zero failures in all the years since its introduction of properly BPTMIC Modded TMICs. Comforting, yes. Funny, not at all.

I suggest you search out similar BPTMIC threads over on the NASIOC forum where your efforts may earn you a standing ovation. But not here. We're a little more refined in our tastes and find people who make fun of others distasteful enough to walk away and ignore.

Notice the silence. That's feedback of the genteel kind.

BP top mount intercooler since 107k miles on my wagon, and 192k miles now I couldn't be happier with my tmic performance. Never an issue on the street with it data logging, plenty of other bolt-ons and driven hard.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Basically, find a C-channel piece of aluminum that fits over-top of the fingers/bends of the TMIC and holds them tightly - I found some at Home Depot pretty cheap - cut 4 pieces to size, and find a way to pull them tight against each other (i.e. one on top, one on bottom). 4 pieces total, 2 on each side, about 11.x in each, IIRC?

I ended up doing half DIY, half with this kit. I cut the pieces a bit longer, drilled holes and cut threaded rod to size and made 2 bolts, one on either end and tightened it down pretty well. They stuck out a bit, made it hard to put the engine cover on.

This kit cut a small groove in the middle section of the C-channel piece on the OUTSIDE and used a strap going all around to tighten them down. Definitely nicer, but not within my DIY toolset / skillset.

Sorry, don't have pictures anymore..