LegacyGT.com

1/4 Mile times...CAP Stage 1 at LACR

Driver72

First let me start out by saying, anyone who knows LACR raceway knows

it's a SLOW, and crappy track.

Pretty much the "rule of thumb" for the track is

Subtract .8 seconds and ADD 8% to trap speeds to get accurate times on

a "good" track.

LACR is at 2700 feet in elevation...runs SLIGHTLY uphill, and there's almost ALWAYS a slight head wind.

Today, from 7-10 pm the conditions were:

73-78 degrees

47 degree Dewpoint

29.92 Barometric Pressure

10-15 mph winds (that again hit you from the front right 1/4 panel)

I did 4 runs...this was my first time at a track with an AWD car.

I wasn't planning on going, it was a last minute thought so, I had just

OVER 1/2 tank of gas (91 Octane) too.

My Best of the night:

Reaction = .282

60 ft = 2.05

1/8th = 9.318 @ 73.99

1/4 mi = 14.62 @ 92.26

My Worst of the night:

Bogged the launch and hit the rev limiter going from 2nd to 3rd.

Reaction = .257

60 ft = 2.27

1/8th = 9.635 @ 73.91

1/4 mi = 14.94 @ 92.12

Using the "rule of thumb" (again this is an "average" adjustment, some say more of an adjustment is needed) for LACR would give:

13.82 @ 99.64 mph

I think that's about right for CAP Stage 1 LGT

60' times here are bad too. With better 60' times available here I think the adjustment factor would give a 13.7 @ 100 mph for my car. By the way...there was a BIG Subaru turn out tonight...including Dan Harman of Harman Automotive in his HEAVILY modded 2005 EVO MR which puts 370 hp to the GROUND! "SleepinGT" was also there, but didn't bring his LGT...it's getting an exhaust fitted.

For comparison here's some of the other runs of the night:

04 350Z manual - Intake only STOCK everything else:

14.8 @ 94

05 Mustang GT - Auto - Completely stock. It was a rental. The guy said he decided to take it here to see what it would do. He ran it like 10 times. His best times were:

14.8 @ 93

99-04 MGT manual - Exhaust only

15.2 @ 91

05 WRX STi - Owned by Mike...nice guy...he had CAP Stage 1 and K&N cold air intake. 10K miles His best of the night:

14.24 @ 96.8 mph on a 2.04 60 ft time.

2004 VW Golf R32 - (had a supercharger on it pushing 6.5 psi)

14.0 @ 95.5 best with 2.03 60' ft time

04 WRX manual - Exhaust only

15.2 @ forgot to write down trap speed

2004 Blue SRT-4 (intake and exhaust only) best time:

15.1 @ 94.6

He couldn't launch very good, his best 60' time was 2.3ish

2005 Silver SRT-4 (owner said completely stock)

14.98 @ 94

2005 Black SRT-4 (owner said completely stock...3100 miles on it)

14.7 @ 96.1 with a 2.07 60' time

2004 New Beetle Turbo (stock)

16.1 @ 84

2001 VW Jetta 1.8T - 150 hp - stock auto

17.1 @ 78 mph

2004 Audi TT Coupe 225 hp version - chip only

15.5 @ 90

2004 EVO IIIX - exhaust only (best of night)

14.5 @ 93 mph with 1.9 60' time

And Dan Harman with his 370 awhp dynoed 2005 EVO MR

on 110 Octane race gas:

12.14 @ 113 mph with a 1.7 60' time

He consistently got 12.1-12.2 and 1.7-1.8 60' times.

Stock LGT's average about 14.9-15.0 @ 89-90 mph on this track!

The "adjustment" is pretty crude. It would not be a fixed # for ETs and that kind of percentage for a trap speed. It would vary by type of vehicle, as well as the vehicle potential (ie: bigger effect on a 10-second car, versus an 18-second car)

Winds weren't too bad (it seems we have headwinds more often than not at the strip!!), and the barometer was pretty good, considering the altitude (altitude has a general effect on the barometer).

Looking at things like your good 60' time on the best run, and your ETs versus other cas running, it looks like you would have hit sub 14s on a level track, but hard to tell.

Get to a better track!!

Ron

Yeah, I need to take it too Fontana now.

The "correction" factor for the track is relatively "crude" yes.

But it holds pretty true for most cars. If you use it on

the many cars I listed, you'll see that it makes their times

about what you'd see on a good track.

Like I said, it's an "average" correction factor that most of the guys their

say you can expect to get should you go to a better track.

I would have hit 14.5's if I had time for one more pass (and with 5 or so less gallons of gas).

I got the launch down and after playing with my shift points a bit realized

where my best shift points would be too, but I didn't have time to line up and get

another pass in.

I would fully expect at least 13.8's @ 99+ mph at Fontana (California Speedway)

I'll probably take a trip out there this fall (temps are getting a bit hot now).

off lacr website:

Altitude Correction

LACR is 2,710 ft. above sea level.

To figure the altitude factor the formula is as follows:

ET: multiply your et (at LACR) by .97

MPH: multiply your mph (at LACR) by 1.03

This will give you the ET & MPH at sea level

off lacr website:

That's just the NHRA correction factor for elevation.

It doesn't take into consideration the crappy track, the slight incline,

or the head winds that are always there.

When stock EVO's are running 14.4-14.5 @ 95 mph with 1.9 60' times

and CAP Stage 1 WRX STI's are running 14.2's @ 96 mph you know there's more to it that just elevation correction.

The track is just slow...usually by .8 seconds and 8% traps.

Sounds reasonable. With cooler weather and a better track, I think you would easily hit 13.8x.

What did you use for a launch, and was there any difference in shift points other than redline?

WRT the other poster who mentioned the elevation correction. They need to be carefully considered, and not used for getting "real" times. It basically comes down to barometer readings for the day. As an example, if we have a low baro of 30.00 at 800', and someone at 4,000' has a very high baro of 30.00, we are running under the same conditions. Actually, it's about the same as your 29.92 baro at 2,700', versus the low 30.00 baro we had last week at 800' (rained hard the night before.....big low-pressure system).

I hear ya on the temps, that's why I won't get anything meaningful until the Fall, when I can get into temps below 60. I'll be running the strip in mid-July at one of my car conventions, but times will suck. We run bracket-type eliminations, so I will just strive for consistency.

Ron

Yes, as posted, their is a slightly incline to the track. It's probably around

10-12 feet higher at the far end. It's not much.

It's just the track conditions and constant head winds that make the times

so slow.

Yeah, I have no doubt about that...just need to get over the California Speedway, which is a MUCH nicer track and lower in elevation without constant wind.

All of which would produce much better times than anyone can get at LACR.

Sorry man, I VERY nearly did, but again, it was about 4:30 pm and I thought, "hey, it's Wednesday night, my wife is at work, maybe I'll take the LGT to the track."

2 minutes later, I was getting ready.

I figured, by then, nobody local would see the post and be able to make it in time.

Next time I will post in the So. Cal thread.

Yes, as posted, their is a slightly incline to the track. It's probably around

10-12 feet higher at the far end. It's not much.

It's just the track conditions and constant head winds that make the times

so slow.

man that track sounds like Wilkesboro, but Wilksboro is DEFINATELY more than a 10-12ft change...more like an uphill battle! good #'s otherwise.

on a funny sidenote (at least to me....so don't take it personal!) i can tell people here on the board don't do much drag racing b/c everyone is sleeping at the tree!!

Kenda

It might be a higher uphill than just 10-12 feet. It's hard to tell, but it surely

looks like you are going uphill.

I had reaction times of .25 to .28 on all 4 runst. I don't think people are a sleep at the tree, it just depends on the track. LACR isn't the grippiest track at launch and

here even mildly powerful cars (Civics) spin like crazy at launch.

A few years ago, we had our convention drags at Quaker City in eastern Ohio. It is a full NHRA strip, and quite nice.

While sitting at the starting line, there is a very noticeable hill over about the last 300' or so all the way though the traps. Now, this is not a track that will be good for national records, but for class or bracket racing, it doesn't matter if it's all uphill....you still have to beat the guy next to you. When trying for a personal-best ET, though, it's not the hot ticket!

Ron

Exactly my point.

Though I got only a 14.6 @ 92.3 at LACR it's all relative, because

I still beat A LOT of other cars that are just as fast, if not faster.

For personal best ET's and traps, I'd have to go to a faster/better track.

It might be a higher uphill than just 10-12 feet. It's hard to tell, but it surely

looks like you are going uphill.

I had reaction times of .25 to .28 on all 4 runst. I don't think people are a sleep at the tree, it just depends on the track. LACR isn't the grippiest track at launch and

here even mildly powerful cars (Civics) spin like crazy at launch.

ahhh no grip off the line! i agree your R/Ts were VERY consisent which is highly commenable especially for bracket racing..i'm just used to R/T's of .1 or less cause Mooresville grips like a SOB (of course thats on 14" slicks also!!)!

Kenda

Actually, it was funny, SleepinGT and I were talking about making a track.

It's sad, we live in one of the biggest metro areas in the country and probably THE biggest that can sustain the space for a track. We live in the car capital of the world and a place with the most "car nuts" in the world.

Yet in all of LA County we have a crappy 1/4 mile track and

1/8th mile track (which most, like me hate, because it doesn't give your car a chance

to stretch it's legs and see what it'll do up top).

With a couple rich investors we could open a BEYOTCHIN track!

You know very well that land is way too valuable for a dragstrip. An oval/road course complex can bring in more revenue, but dragstrips aren't moneymakers unless there is a big meet.

I believe a number of the old southern CA dragstrips have closed over the years.

Giving away my age, but I was at the Last Drag Race at Lions dragstrip back in '72. Still have the t-shirt and poster I bought when I was there. Luckily, I happened to be out there on business over that weekend!

Ron

The drag strip could make a BINCH of money of done right.

It can't just be a track with timing lights a couple stands and

a hot dog and soda stand.

If there's more to it, like an evening car event, and televised events (i'm in the

film biz remember) the people would come.

Think about how many late night street racers there are.

No think how many would come to the drag strip if it were nice,

fun, and most importantly relatively close.

It's the permits that would kill it in So Cal though.

As I understand, it takes YEARS to get anything built in CA!!

I tend to disagree about it making a "bunch" of money. Not that I watch it closely, but it seems that any new dragstrips in the last few years have all been built as a part of a motorsports complex. I believe that a stand-alone dragstrip is not economically feasible.

Plus, to get the street racer guys, it has to be a convenient facility, and anything convenient in the southern CA area is expensive land with tree-huggers fighting you every step. I believe that a no-frills strip would work for the street-racing crowd, with low entry fees.

Just like the image of the F-bodies versus the Mustang, drag racing does not have the "image" that other forms of motorsport have. It's still viewed as the dirty-T-shirt crowd. It's a mature business, and if there were money to be made, the owners of the SoCal strips that sold out to get the value out of the land would have rebuilt new strips farther out of town.

Ron

Archived