LegacyGT.com

Grinding/Screeching Startup Sound

Also being down 1Q is NOT in the "acceptable" range. These cars are very sensitive to oil level and you don't want to run it a drop low if at all possible.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Also being down 1Q is NOT in the "acceptable" range. These cars are very sensitive to oil level and you don't want to run it a drop low if at all possible.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I meant to say something about that. If your car is low on oil, put more in!

No concerns about the mysterious white mini-puff of smoke?

Thanks for the help so far. The noise is gone (for now), so unless it comes back soon I'll plan to grease up the starter like outahere suggested when my schedule opens up in December.

I should have clarified that my oil level is lowish, but still above the "add" level. I check the oil at every fill-up and add as needed. It's just now low enough to be at the point where I'd more to get it to "full". When I was a kid I blew up our lawnmower because it was out of oil, so I'll never run an engine dry (or low) again.

• 3 months later...
This sounds like the starter issue. Search the forums, you'll find our 05's (and mabye others) have a noisy starter on initial startup in the cold. Try starting it cold, and releasing from the "Start" position to the "On" possition just a 1/2 second earlier. If it goes away with that, it's the starter issue. I'm thinking of replacing my starter for this specific reason. It's nothing that will hurt your motor, but REALLY annoying.

Yeah I hear this when it's cold as well with my starter it's a hard sound to describe

I'm starting to notice the same thing along with some sticking and grinding intermittently. I'm not sure if greasing it will help me at this point. This Leggy is about 4 weeks out from a Rebuild because....( where's Tris)...

I need a new Shortblock! :lol:

add a starter to the rebuild

• 4 years later...

Archived