LegacyGT.com

ECM memory problem

fdiaconu

On my 96 Legacy, I have a strange problem with ECM. I attach the code reader to it and as I drive I can check it passes all emissions tests. After I shut engine down, all the indicators become "not ready". Of course I checked all signals to ECM and they are OK and I also replaced ECM. What is strange, once MIL lamp turned ON due to a missfire code. I did not reset code and lamp was ON while driving to work for 2-3 days and then just turned itself off.

In other words, ECM remembers a trouble code but forgets the ready tests data when engine is shut off. ECM version is AC431. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I too own a 96 Legacy. There is nothing wrong with your ECM. Believe it or not, all 96 Subaru's are OBD2 exempt for the not ready part of the emissions test, because the ECM reset's all monitors to the "Not Ready" status whenever the ignition is shut off. There is no software update to correct this. See attached link that state emission testers have.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/bmvim/bmvim_obdvehicles.htm

Hope this put's your mind at ease

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Thank you so much for the clarification. I was not sure but I thought it was remembering the passed tests data in the past. I had a problem with dead battery (interrupted inside) and thought problem was caused by overvoltage as I tried jump start engine. After replacing the battery and some driving, I checked the status of OBD monitors and noticed this issue. Thank you again. Florin

Archived