Dual HVAC Double Din Kit: Completed Install Thread

ksnh

Car:

-2008 Outback LL Bean 3.0R

Factory electronics:

-Standard radio, no sub

-No Nav

Parts used:

-JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter JDM part #H6217AG911 (from avoJDM Parts)

-JDM Hazard Switch (JDM part #107-090-001 from avoJDM Parts)

-SVX Dc parts - 14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter, i85 adapter, AXESS SWC (from ae64.com)

-Parking/foot brake bypass for Alpine systems, (from Amazon.com)

Comments:

Alpine IVE-W535HD, HCE-157D direct connect camera. I chose a non-Nav unit. I really like my Garmin 3590, which I've mounted in the cubby. I found the Pioneer nav unit in my GMC (Avic-Z120BT) is just horrid, so I was reluctant to go with another stereo/Nav unit. There is no comparison to a good Garmin unit. Pioneer wasted a lot of landscape on the 7" screen.

Following the instructions in the "Official HVAC...." thread, no problems whatsoever.

1. For a PERFECT fit, trim the tabs on the ashtray/center console trim. Mate this piece with the lower HVAC control unit, and trim little bits off the tab at a time, until the two line up perfectly. My car has no gaps, and all trim pieces pop right in after this minor tweak.

2. Be careful making room for the hazard switch. The plastic you have to trim is somewhat brittle. You could easily take off more than you need.

3. For my camera install, I temporarily mounted on rear gate, high. This is barely OK. I need to re-route to near the license-plate location, outside of the vehicle.

4. Following the service manual, my car has no OP connector. I was able to tap into reverse lead at i53, pin 2, brown/yellow wire. This connector is located behind the passenger footwell kick panel.

This was an extremely easy install. Absolutely no wires were cut for this job. I soldered everything, and used heat shrink tube to insulate. Only wire I had to tap into was reverse mentioned above.

Thanks to everyone, SVXdc, dwolson, who made this such an easy job. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Edited by Suba-dog

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Car:

-2005 LGT 6MT STI swap

Factory electronics:

-2008 Standard radio, no sub (will be selling this now :lol:)

-No Nav23

Parts used:

- Appradio 2 ($320)

- Pioneer - Android Connection Kit for AppRadio 2 ($100)

- Bought my car a Samsung Galaxy Nexus 32GB ($100)

-JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM Parts) ($440)

- SVX Dc parts (AE64.com)

(1) i88 adapter harness $20.00

(1) 14-pin forward harness $ 7.50

- JDM Hazard Switch (JDM part #107-090-001 from Japanparts) ($44)

- Used the same 3M vinyl wrap chewee22 did but matted the finish (Amazon $23)

- cheap backup camera from ebay ($18)

Comments:

1. Need to finish the vinyl wrap on the shift boot console. Also learned when using vinyl in the car make sure you use "Cast" type vinyl so it doesn't shrink when it gets hot.

2. Also need to file those damn tabs down from the hvac unit, the gaps are driving me nuts.

3. Reinstalling the Kuda Mount for Accessport, but instead going to use it for the galaxy nexus.

IMG_0091.thumb.jpg.16e8b52da4ec92554f00c85205fef1bc.jpg

IMG_0100.thumb.jpg.d06fe73e4bf1174568ea864edfdb36f1.jpg

Car:

-2006 LGT 5EAT

-Cobb UP

-Cobb DP

-Cobb Stage II

Factory electronics:

-STI Gauges

-Stock speakers

-Standard radio, no sub

-No Nav

Parts used:

-JDM Dual HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from AVOJDM)

-(14 pin audio cable)

- JDM Hazard Switch (from AVOJDM)

- Rear View Camera

- Parking/foot brake bypass (from Amazon.com)

Comments (include make/model of your aftermarket head unit if any specific integration issues):

The AVH-P8400BH is Pioneer's top-of-the-line DVD multimedia receiver that features a beautiful 7" motorized touchscreen interface with our new Advanced Display Resolution technology, built-in Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and audio streaming, an HD Radio™ tuner, and AppRadio Mode for iPhone® 4/4S. The newly designed and innovative user interface makes direct operation of the unit stress-free by eliminating complicated layered selection displays, so access to desired functions is smoother and simpler than ever. A variety of multimedia options ensures that you will be properly entertained. Customizable audio and video functions make it easy to suit your mood.

FEATURES

• Built-In MOSFET 50W x 4 Amplifier
  • 3 Sets of Hi-Volt RCA Preouts (4V) for System Expansion
  • 8-Band Graphic Equalizer
  • Auto EQ (CD-MC20 required)
  • Sonic Center Control
  • Advanced Sound Retriever
  • SD/SDHC Memory Card Slot
  • Rear View Camera Input
  • Advanced Touch Slide Operation
  • Wired Remote Input
  • Included Remote Control
  • Detachable Face Security™

What a Pain in the Nut Sack.:spin: but after doing the install and drinking 100 Advils, Priceless :lol:

IMG_20120515_072408.thumb.jpg.1a30bdf1d3367dd79e3fa5f134ff8de6.jpg

IMG_20120712_204706.thumb.jpg.0efccfe6546205f44bf31c8b17061fef.jpg

Edited by HellShadow70

• 2 months later...
Car:

-2005 LGT 6MT STI swap

Factory electronics:

-No Nav23

Parts used:

- Appradio 2 ($320)

-JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM Parts) ($440)

Comments:

1. Need to finish the vinyl wrap on the shift boot console. Also learned when using vinyl in the car make sure you use "Cast" type vinyl so it doesn't shrink when it gets hot.

2. Also need to file those damn tabs down from the hvac unit, the gaps are driving me nuts.

3. Reinstalling the Kuda Mount for Accessport, but instead going to use it for the galaxy nexus.

How did u get the gauges on there

• I Donated Too
Google Appradio 2 - it's just reflecting a smartphone device in this case an Android. Plenty of apps for gauges on cars with the bluetooth OBD connectors. There's some threads on this forum on carputers that cover a lot of this...

If you aren't familiar with the AppRadio 2 unit, basically it mirrors your android phone if you have the ArLiberator app. An alternative to hacking up the dash for a tablet install.

The app on the phone is 'Torque', if that's what you're asking.

torque app running on the galaxy nexus + blue tooth obd2 plug;

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Unfortunately if you plug in the bluetooth OBD2 you can't run your Cobb Accessport at the same time. I just leave the OBD bt plugged in all the time (It does drain some current). Also torque doesn't seem to be as responsive, I see a slight delay on the gauges when in use.

Google Appradio 2 - it's just reflecting a smartphone device in this case an Android. Plenty of apps for gauges on cars with the bluetooth OBD connectors. There's some threads on this forum on carputers that cover a lot of this...

Pioneer,not google.

Also just to add it's not just displaying the image, it's actually mirroring the device -- meaning it can be controlled on the touchscreen instead of the phone.

Car:

-2005 LGT 6MT STI swap

Factory electronics:

-No Nav23

Parts used:

- Appradio 2 ($320)

Comments:

Y was it 440? Men was only 359 shipped to Alaska.

Car:

05 Legacy GT 5sp

Electronics:

Pioneer 8400

autotek amp

JL 8w7 HO BOX

bypass module

ebay wireless reverse cam

Parts Used:

JDM Dual HVAC Double Din

SVX 14 pin audio cable and i88 adapter

JDM Hazard switch

Plastic Dip

Comments:

I Plastic Dipped the mid console and the wood trim to match the jdm benzel. (iphone photo)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/cheeriox5o4/IMG_1419_zps2b78456f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Car:

-2006 LGT 5spd

Factory electronics:

-Standard radio, no sub

-No Nav

Parts used:

-JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM Parts) $348

(14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter) $35

Factory hazard switch(for now)

Pioneer double din avh-4300bh $250

Pioneer 6.5" speaker in all doors $100

2 12" duals subwoofers in custom box. For free! Impressed with quality!

So $733 for everything. It is a great Improvement over stock that's for sure! Will post pics soon!

Edited by Sicotic

Looks good! What do you have to bring the gauges up on the screen? Been looking for something like that to connect to a pioneer nav unit I'm buying shortly.

Car:

-2005 LGT 6MT STI swap

Factory electronics:

-No Nav23

Parts used:

- Appradio 2 ($320)

Comments:

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

• 3 weeks later...

After reading all the applicable threads on here and eventually deciding on a suitable head unit I've completed my install this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for their extremely useful information on here!

The car is a 2006 Outback 3.0R - a JDM car imported into NZ as so many are, so here are my notes and lessons learned for any others from down under reading this.

Lessons:

1) Before rushing off to order the replacement facia and climate control panel from Japan, check with your local dealers of importered vehicles if they can get it through their parts suppliers because I found out afterwards that they can probably get it for $100 cheaper. The import duty and fees was about another $150 once it landed in NZ so you're looking at $450 or more before you buy your new stereo!

2) Head units with built in Navigation are twice the price the next model down, similarly if you're looking at a separate built-in navi unit that plugs into your head unit then you still double the price. It is cheaper to contact an outfit in Christchurch which *may* be able to retro-fit an opensource NZ/AU GPS map in English if your model is roughly this age. Even that is still way more expensive than a decent current model Garmin/Navman/Tomtom portable device or GPS software on your smartphone. Car Audio brands doing navigation have lost the plot.

3) As some other people have mentioned, you don't need any other harness than an off the shelf Subaru-to-ISO adapter. Perhaps I should cover myself with "for this car". The existing air con i88 wiring works fine with the new dual zone module. I've tested the guages brightness dial and it behaves correctly.

Notes:

1) Right hand drive cars don't need to hack out a space for the hazard switch as that is in the same position as before.

2) I've bought a basic reverse camera and added the RCA cable at the head unit now so I don't have to pull it out again later. Not that it is a big job but avoidable.

3) I've replace the door speakers with mid range Alpine 6.5" some weeks ago and I think that was more work than the head unit.

4) A set of plastic trim removal tools from Jaycar or an auto shop are about $20 -$30 dollars and make this sort of work much easier than using screwdrivers, tape and such.

I chose this model Kenwood DDX-4031BT as it not only covered the A/V and bluetooth features I wanted but it claimed to work with OEM steering wheel controls No other adapter needed. They live up to that claim. There is functionality built in to the setup menus that lets you configure what each button press is for.

So the original OEM 6-stack in dash unit:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/damwhee/Outback%20stereo/OEMstereo_zps859d1886.jpg

The OEM Navigation/Media/AV unit is different from the US market in that the brains and the maps are in a unit the size of a computer DVD drive in the glove box. Yes the menus and button labels in the software are mostly in Japanese and the map is only of Japan. Aparently they don't consider the fact that a good propertion of their 2nd hand cars end up in New Zealand - an *English* speaking country! There is no option to switch it to English.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/damwhee/Outback%20stereo/DSCF2470_zps46207c6d.jpg

Thankfully I know a few people who are reasonably fluent in Japanse and we'll translate some of it later.

Also the time seems to be based on the GPS clock and there is no place to change it or the time zone. The clock in the dash cluster is linked to it too. So I always can tell what the time is in Japan.

So here is the new install:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/damwhee/Outback%20stereo/Kenwoodinstalled_zps62e3e684.jpg

The work was pretty simple. Splicing into the steering wheel control wiring was the only permenant change, everthing else is plugged and so is reversible when I eventually sell this car.

Before installing I did one other thing. Updated the firmware. I put the latest firmware (downloaded from the Kenwood support web pages) on a USB stick and powered the head unit from a PC power supply on a bench as it needs uninterrupted power for just over 30 minutes while you do this, then a reset.

One downside with this head unit I've just found is that it does seem to need an optional special cable to interface with some ipods. It will detect it if you plug it into the USB socket on the front and control it, but no sound. The special cable (KCA-iP22F) has a headphone plug as well as the USB which we thought was just if you were playing movies but aparently is needed for music too.

Plugging a USB stick full of music in there works fine though so I'll probably just do that anyway.