LegacyGT.com

Dual HVAC Double Din Kit: Completed Install Thread

ksnh

seriously folks, read the first line of the first post in this thread... questions belong in the other thread.

Those who have already completed an install probably wont check the other thread. I posted my comment HERE for a REASON. It was a thought for those who have done the install to try for better fitment. Unless someone else has already tried it. It's a message board, try not to take the place so seriously. It's one thing to post a new thread about something that has been discussed to death, and it's one thing to post something on topic about others installs.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those who have already completed an install probably wont check the other thread. I posted my comment HERE for a REASON. It was a thought for those who have done the install to try for better fitment. Unless someone else has already tried it. It's a message board, try not to take the place so seriously. It's one thing to post a new thread about something that has been discussed to death, and it's one thing to post something on topic about others installs.

The only reason they did that is because this is the thread for questions. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html

This is just thread to show actual install.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The only reason they did that is because this is the thread for questions. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html

This is just thread to show actual install.

exactly and a lot of us still read the questions thread. dunno how many answers the lot of us have answered already.

Car:

- 2005 GT

Installed electronics:

- Replaced OEM radio

- Sony CDX-GT930UI

- JL W3 with Kenwood Amp.

Parts used:

All parts from avojdm.com minus the wiring

- JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (part #H6217AG911) - $358

- JDM Hazard Switch (part #83037AG001) - $24

- 2 Din Cubby Box from (part # 6612BAE0) - $18

- 14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter (AE64.com) - $40

Install:

Pretty Straight forward with all the help with the install thread.

Plan from here is to paint the middle console to match the face plate and keep the sides silver.

304409527_1(Medium).JPG.fe5ad4e41511438a1ed627b8387444a2.JPG

246984698_2(Medium).JPG.3a6ea665d4680e0d9f874e269058a6ea.JPG

1109744386_4(Medium).JPG.59cc7d9404020e84ac990e59d1e5501f.JPG

Edited by jssmith6

• 2 weeks later...

Add another one to the completed list. I'm using a Pioneer AVH-P4300 with my JDM Dash kit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/rjs5689/1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/rjs5689/HUnight2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/rjs5689/HUNight.jpg

Edited by RJS5689

have any of you guys noticed that the temp display (and everything in between) is not as bright as the before? maybe it's just me.

It's not just you. The other day I thought my display was in the dimmed mode, but it wasn't. The display is actually pretty hard to read in bright light.

Car:

- 2007 GT Wagon (since sold)

Installed electronics:

- Replaced OEM radio

- Eclipse AVN6610 w/XM module

- JL 300/4, 500/1, 10W6V2 in Stealthbox

- JL Mids/Tweets, Full Streetwires cables

Parts used:

All parts from Japanparts.com

- JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter

- JDM Hazard Switch

- 14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter (AE64.com)

Install:

Took 4-6 hours, but I was routing of all new cables for the amps.

Sold everything to another member before I sold the car. Went easily back to stock thanks to SVXDC!

After trying both the Cleansweep and RF 360.2, I can tell you this i the best way to go. Pure, clean sound with no interference or multiple knobs to mess with.

DSC00525.thumb.jpg.64dd9152586cec1afae52c76ddfaac0d.jpg

DSC00526.thumb.jpg.2420e23e034d526e236d8a702d77829d.jpg

DSC00060_sm.thumb.jpg.4ab87d6ce0fe9c31fd86375dcfde14bb.jpg

DSC00061_sm.thumb.jpg.d9db52ba9889fff0e235ddc530adeffa.jpg

Edited by str8dwn

• 5 weeks later...

Here's my install. The shifter bezel doesn't fit like I would like, but ill file the tabs later and make it look right. I need to paint the side pieces and shift bezel anyway.

Car: 05 legacy gt

Hu: Kenwood Ddx418

No navigation with bluetooth ~405 after tax.

I used the part number from the original install thread along with the jdm hazard switch. I think it was like ~440 for both pieces shipped. Then the harnesses from svxdc. I think it was like ~85 shipped, but I also bought a steering wheel control module and plan on buying a new steering wheel with audio controls out of a newer one. I think it took me two hours total to install.

uploadfromtaptalk1310073424320.jpg.e57aafa33efcf9c353f21f9233039962.jpg

Edited by 1454

Car:

-2006 LGT Spec. B 5MT

-Cobb CAI

-Cobb DP

-Cobb Stage II

Factory electronics:

-Factory NAV (with movement hack)

-Stock speakers (hoping to change that soon)

Parts used:

-JDM Dual HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from japanparts)

- SVX Dc parts (AE64.com)

(14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter; i85)

- JDM Hazard Switch (from japanparts)

Comments (include make/model of your aftermarket head unit if any specific integration issues):

-Shout out to the godfather(s) for making it all possible

-Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD with Sirius and iPod (Sirius add-on down underneath the passenger seat and the iPod cable (w/ video capabilities) is run through to the glove compartment; I like this due to a key lock capability on glove compartment)

-Pioneer's Sirius add-on caused me a bit of hiccup when I connected the proprietary cable incorrectly which cost me 30 minutes due to tech support being no help...figured it out myself after I RTFM'd closer

-I found the best place to mount the Sirius antenna was behind the rear seat passenger on rear deck near D pillar barely noticeable) see below

http://i53.tinypic.com/10r5wrm.jpg or http://i53.tinypic.com/157fb6p.jpg

-It is quite amazing how much the stock speakers are brought to life from this new stereo proving the stock HU is worthless!

-Completely happy with the new install

-Busted a mean fart while installing and it took close to 30 minutes to clear and as such my install took forever :mad:

016.thumb.jpg.45a150cb136039f922a448be78acc78c.jpg

Edited by brthtkg
adding tinypic.com references

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

This is my install in an '08 LL Bean Outback. I didn't like the idea of painting everything black, so I found a local paint and body place that custom mixed me some metallic gray/silver. The match was pretty darn close, but was different enough that it would have been noticeable next to an OEM part, so I painted everything. I used and OEM Subaru cubby below the radio since I chose a single DIN HU. I am pretty happy with the results.

Some tips for painting:

Pretty much everything comes apart so no masking is required. The knobs and buttons can be removed from the JDM AC controls, the gear indicator (P,R,N,D, etc.) pops out, the SI Automatic plate can be removed, etc. I still had to mask the "guts" of the ash tray and cubby assemblies to just paint the door and not get overspray on the mechanism. I even took the clear window out of the JDM AC controls to get a totally clean paint job. It is held in place by two sided tape, but it can be reassembled without the tape. Makes sure you don't leave any dust inside!

Some tips for alignment:

The JDM parts aren't a perfect fit, and IMO cannot be made to fit perfectly without tremendous effort and skill. In addition to the already discussed issues, the top of the JDM surround slope slightly in the wrong direction, leaving a small wedge shaped gap between the surround and bottom of the dashboard. The whole JDM assembly wants to sit shifted slightly to the left in the opening. The lower left corner of the JDM assembly will line up too deep compared to the trim pieces. Below are some of the things I did to improve the fit, but all said and done, it isn't 100% perfect and the side trim pieces took some effort to reinstall.

I cut and filed the tabs on the lower original part of the shifter surround/ashtray assembly. I also enlarged the holes in the metal mounting brackets that the JDM surround and radio bolt to. I used some washers to push the left lower corner of the JDM AC controls out flush with the side trim (this also necessitated a longer screw).

The alignment really is better than what it looks like in the picture. The flash really highlights the gaps in the trim. In normal light, it is not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Huge thanks to SVXdc for the quality wiring harnesses and expert advice and to those who tried this first!

Adam

photo.thumb.jpg.be6055069424c97916f61ae16f1508f5.jpg

-It is quite amazing how much the stock speakers are brought to life from this new stereo proving the stock HU is worthless!

I fully concur with this statement. The stockers sounded so much better after my 920bt. I had a whole setup ready, separates in front, coax in the back, with amps... but the stockers sounded so decent that the desire to swap them out was abated.

Nice work. What HU did you use from Kenwood?

cholmes1,

Thanks! It is a KIV-BT901. I really agonized over the choice of HU. My priorities were good sound, a clean look (no front hook-ups for my iPod) and quality blue tooth cell phone performance. I don't want to get into an off topic in-depth review, but despite getting what I wanted (looks good, sounds good and call quality is great), I don't like drilling into menus for nearly every other function (radio presets, audio tweaks, etc.) Also, the BT does odd things if you turn the car on or off while a call is in progress.

Adam

• 2 months later...

Car:

-2008 Legacy GT Limited 5MT (Bang the link in my sig block!!!)

Factory electronics:

-All removed, but had the OEM 6 Disc Changer integrated with HVAC (Subaru = t3h fail for that crap) and stock speakers.

Parts used:

- 07+ JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter and JDM hazard switch (JDM part #H6217AG912 from avoJDM Parts) *Color matched to shifter surround at local body shop

- SVX.dc adapters

- Pioneer AVIC-X930BT

Comments:

First I want to give a HUGE shoutout to SVX.dc and Dwolson2. This can be a rather daunting undertaking and with the information they've both provided the install has gone much smoother. The biggest issue my friend and I had was finding the time to do everything. Running the cables was a breeze since I removed all the seats. I ran power through the opening right behind the glove box, which was actually a nice clean run. Sound deadening was only applied to the trunk, but I may go back eventually and do the doors. I'm not sure if the controller module is different (Kenwood) in the JDM kit I have, but the HVAC display was the same brightness as all the other items in my car. It also dimmed correctly so I'm wondering if the dimming issue is fixed in the 07+ version.

PICS!!!

JDM double din (still working out some of the gaps, but this is as good as it's going to get for now)

IMG_0334.JPG

Amp/cap/distro block mount

IMG_0312.JPG

Edited by mr.hicksta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
You can put something in big bold letters, they still won't read it. Maybe I should put it in fine print too...lol

No, it was my fault I gave him the wrong link. Blame me.:redface:

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 1 month later...

I cant find a filler for my single din install on the 2005. I saw someone used a

"2 Din Cubby Box from (part # 6612BAE0)" however I can not find this item. Does anyone know of a good "filler". I installed a pioneer 6300 touch screen and I bought a kit hoping I can use the panel with it, however its not a fit. :/