LegacyGT.com

Everything you wanted to know about a hitch install...

3tones

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about trying to get my hands on the hitch for the outback. I am not going to mess with a wiring harness because it would be only used for a hitch mount bike/ski rack. That is, if I can ever afford it.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

If i were to do it again, I would just buy the Outback hitch with the included waring harness. I probably saved about $20 buying the hitch and harness from Hidden Hitch, but then I had to spend the time adapting the generic harness to the plug in the car.

Then again, if you just need a hitch without needing a wiring harness, getting a hitch like Hidden Hitch will save you about $100.

Ron

3tones, thanks for the walkthru. I put in a hidden hitch myself last summer with the aid of your thread. FWIW, the Outback install is a bit different, and yea, the HH instructions are not the greatest for figuring out what spacers to use, and what not to use, so I did my own walkthru based on my experience and differences that I figured out from your install. If you have an Outback instead of the Legacy, you might find it helpful:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2812

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Just did my hidden hitch install on LGT LMT sedan and was able to install the hitch ABOVE the tow ring or whatever that is called. It took some time, but I found the trick is to not put the bolt through the tow ring until you have everything else secure. Also, I put the spacers on facing out, so the actual hitch is bolted to the surface of the car, but the spacers are just there to keep the bolts from going in too far. I can post pics if you want. Definitely like it better above the tow ring than below.

Jason

Can you buy the Subaru wiring harness to go with it? Sounded like the subaru harness is "plug and play" and the hookup for it is in by the spare tire?

I have a wagon and thought of getting the subaru hitch and wiring harness. Thought I may save some $ getting the hidden.

Can you buy the Subaru wiring harness to go with it? Sounded like the subaru harness is "plug and play" and the hookup for it is in by the spare tire?

I have a wagon and thought of getting the subaru hitch and wiring harness. Thought I may save some $ getting the hidden.

The hidden Hitch is nicer IMO.

Yes to the Subaru wiring harness.

As of mid 2005, you could not buy the Subaru harness separate from the hitch. Could be worth checking, in case things have changed.

Ron

gah! im interesting in towing a small trailer with my lgt wagon, and in the small trailer would be my matco tool box . estimate 1500lbs or so and a trailer is about 400lbs minimum. thats 2000lbs or so. id need a trailer with brakes. ick

Why? I woudn't worry about brakes for anything through Class 2 (3,500 #s).

Granted, brakes are nice, but not really required.

If that's a tall toolbox, I would worry morre about weight distribution, and making sure that it's (the toolbox) snugged down.

Ron

• 1 month later...
I towed two motorcycles to montana (about 3000 miles round trip). The car sagged a little, but otherwise there was plenty of power (both gas and brake).

I'm not very familiar with motorcycles, but how much would you say the tow weight is of the trailer and cycles? The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering buying a LGT and would love opinions about the ability to tow 2 waverunners with it. They probalby weigh ~1400 plus 300 for the trailer.

If you could at least give me a ballpark on the weight of the cycles and trailer, that would be great, but any opinions on the waverunners would be appreciated as well.

Does subaru even 'condone' towing with a LGT, or just with the Outback version?

Thanks,

Doug

Read your Owners Manual. All Legacies and Outbacks have a recommended 2,700# towing limit. Of course, the Class II hitches are good to 3,500#s

I wouldn't sweat anything below 3,000 #s gross weight. My utility trailer with a Dway dish on it is "maybe" 300#s and it's ike there's nothing back there (which is bad....because I forget sometimes!!)

Ron

I'm not very familiar with motorcycles, but how much would you say the tow weight is of the trailer and cycles? Doug

I estimated we had about 1500 pounds total with about 150 pounds of tounge weight. We had the trunk and back seat loaded and it sat quite low. See the pic attached.

Pulling was not a problem, the car has plenty of power. It is obviously a little harder on the clutch. Things like uphill standing starts are a little tough. I had a few cases of STS (stinky clutch syndrome). I personally wouldn't launch a small boat or jetskis with a manual, but it could be done.

tom

DSCF3530.jpg.78f6873c5b2bf172455b9fb14282631a.jpg

• 2 months later...

If your trailer requires brakes, and is relatively light, you could opt for surge brakes which will mean you dont have to wire an electronic brake controller. If the trailer is relatively light weight, that is probably fine. It also is more important to make sure the trialer load is balanced properly, w/10-15% of trailer weight over the hitch.

The nice thing about electronic brake controllers is that you can brake the trailer independent of the car, which is nice for sway conditions, but loading the trailer carefully should minmize that possibiltiy (but not eliminate it).

If your trailer requires brakes, and is relatively light, you could opt for surge brakes which will mean you dont have to wire an electronic brake controller. If the trailer is relatively light weight, that is probably fine. It also is more important to make sure the trialer load is balanced properly, w/10-15% of trailer weight over the hitch.

The nice thing about electronic brake controllers is that you can brake the trailer independent of the car, which is nice for sway conditions, but loading the trailer carefully should minmize that possibiltiy (but not eliminate it).

IMHO, surge brakes suck.....

If you are getting into a > 2,000# trailer, go for true electric brakes. Surge brakes are a cheap way out, and can have their own issues

Ron

• 3 months later...

Hey guys -

I finally got myself a LGT yesterday. I got a 2007 Diamond Gray Metallic...I love it!! So now I have to get the hitch. I think I may have found a round tube Hidden Hitch, but if that falls through I'm going to go with the Subaru setup.

The question I have is will the Subaru wiring harness (p/n - L1010SS030) work on my sedan? I haven't dug around the trunk too much yet, but there are 2 access doors by the taillights in the trunk lining, so wiring wouldn't be too difficult, but I'd prefer to just plug something in.

Let me know and thanks!

Doug

• 6 months later...

Hate to bring up a old post, but has anyone had any luck with 07 LGT Sedans? I really need a hitch, but dont want one that is scrapping or sticking out. =)

Thanks for any input..

Ps.. I have used the search feature for endless hours only to find out the pictures are not showing up ;-)

Thanks again,

Raini

• 2 weeks later...
If I were to do it again, I would just go with the factory hitch and wiring harness. The p/ns are listed in these threads, and you can do Google searches through the various Subaru parts vendors for the best price.
Ron

Archived