LegacyGT.com

Anyone with FULL CATLESS turboback exhaust? Question...

dsmith

To those of you that are running a full turboback CATLESS exhaust: how bad is the smell? Do you get a lot of exhaust smell when you drive with your windows down/moonroof open? Ideally, I'd like to hear from someone with a Perrin DP and catback. Anyone?

Thanks,

Doug

what I remember from the WRXs, it's not bad at all when you are moving.. sitting at a light with backdraft is where it gets you.. you can always retune the car with a UTEC to lean it out a bit.. but I love the smell of a rich running engine so it doesnt bother me a bit.

Keefe

Keefe

only really noticable in a confined space, like idling in your garage. never notice it inside the car. the thing that bugs me the most is all the black soot. the exhaust tips blacken up in a couple of days after you clean them. and a buddy of mine who has rode behind me says the exhaust always burps black smoke when I really get on it. probably because the Cobb AP stage 2 map runs fuel rich.

No experience on any Scoobys with such a mod.

Extensive seat-time with DSMs with such mods, though - nothing when car's moving moderately.

Whether or not that distinctive smell is noticeable when sitting still while outdoors seem to depend on ambient conditions, including just sheer luck.

The only time the smell truly came out was when the driver really put their foot down on the happy pedal.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Are there any issues passing emissions if you have catless and black smoke/smell at idle; i.e. especially when you go to get tested.

Depends on how emissions testing is done in your area. In Portland its ODB-II testing so they don't run any sniffer tests. I'm pretty sure that some of the WRX guys down there have passed emissions with no problems because there weren't any ODB-II codes from their computer. And once your car is warmed up you really shouldn't be kicking out black smoke at idle even if you are catless. Plus its not that hard to throw the stock downpipe on the car for emissions testing if you really need to.

Are there any issues passing emissions if you have catless and black smoke/smell at idle; i.e. especially when you go to get tested.

Not a snowball's chance in hell of passing, in a state with a sniffer test. You will also fail in some other states which perform a visual inspection.

Well, I will be running catless after next saturday. I have a full straight through catback (magnaflow) and a Lachute catless DP and a DC Sports catless uppipe.. I will also be upgrading to a stage 2 map, so i'll have more feedback for you then. hmm so maybe I should have spent the extra $100 and gotten the catted DP from Lachute?

sounds like my car is REALLY gonna stink eh?

-Tronix(peee you)GT

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

Yeah, I know. Mine did it too when stock. But now the amount is five times worse. Not happy about the little puffs of black smoke on acceleration. Planning to change to either Cobb catted DP (whenever that comes out) or Stromung catted DP (whenever that comes out).

I've heard stories of people passing sniffer tests while running catless, and I'm sure they are true, but definately the exception, not the norm. I think that emissions standards change according to model year, so older cars would stand a far better chance of passing as opposed to newer cars. That probably explains how your MR2 passed. I just cannot see how a catless car that is supposed to meet 2005 emissions standards could pass without a cat.

besides NOx, the cat's purpose is to break down carbon monoxide and unburnt fuel (hydrocarbons) which result from incomplete combustion. so the cat isnt doing a considerable amount if the engine is running close to stoich. or so i've gleaned.

for us californians... there's a visual inspection (so that hampers things), but unlike the MR-2, alot of places dont have double roller dynos (for awd) so they just hit the gas a bit in neutral which produces less emissions than when under load.

Archived