LegacyGT.com

P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch

Recently my 2005 LGT started throwing the CEL and going into limp mode. It can happen just happily cruising down the freeway or during a slow trip through a parking lot. There isn't much information on this forum about this problem. Has anyone had this happen and what did you replace to fix it? The car going into limp mode on the freeway is getting a little old.

The code I pulled is:

P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “D/E” Voltage Rationality

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the code has reset and come back around a dozen times , i'll try cleaning the pedal connector and see if that helps, the other sensor is only sold with the throttle body for $650.00 , my warranty guide says that's covered by the 7/70 california emissions warranty so it will go to the dealer for that

• 1 month later...

has anyone got an update on this issue? My wife's car just started doing this, about 1x per week. Very annoying and dangerous. Since it's so intermittent, I can't get it to a repair shop before it clears and I worry diagnostic won't turn anything up and they will have to start throwing parts at it. It would be nice if others have found a solution...

One new piece of info for me - it did it the other day while in cruise control so I can't see it's got anything to do with the pedal positioning sensor...

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone else checks this thread - I appear to have significantly reduced the occurance of this problem by seating the connect on the accelerator pedal assembly. I was looking for potential places were there could be a loose connection or frayed wire. I noticed that the plug had backed off a ways on the connector, so I pushed it back down.

Was happening 2-3x per week before doing this. Hasn't happened since doing this, and its been about 4 weeks.

I'm not saying I cured it for sure, only time will tell since it is intermittent.

Tom

• 2 years later...
i had this happen over the last week or so. I took apart the connectors at both ends, the pedal and the throttle body. Sprayed with electrical cleaner, and added some dielectric just for ha ha's. Now we wait. I'll report back if it fixed the issue.
It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

• 2 weeks later...
If this happens again, I have a spare accelerator pedal assembly that I'd be willing to lend out... that means, I'll send it to you on your dime, and if it works, just send mine or a functional one back. I'd prefer to see a reasonable iTrader feedback rating before shipping, though.
Tits mcgee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I didn't exchange any parts I just cleaned under the plastic cap of the throttle plate and so far so good been 3 days

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey guys I just got this code last nite, as cold weather hit..sorry for the ignorance but where is the connectors your checking? There is lots of connectors under dash near gas pedal but it was dark and cold wen I looked. Will check again today thanx

i'm 3 months .. had zero instances of this happening again.

^ there is a connector going to your gas pedal and one going to the throttle body.

the throttle body will be difficult to get to.

i recommend taking the cover off the side of the throttle body and cleaning it out with brake cleaner and compressed air. its simple no parts come flying out..

clear the codes and see what happens .. if they are still active i'm sure it takes 5 seconds of cranking to actually get the car to fire up.

it might be a ground issue or the big plug connector next to the turbo is loose. unplug and plug it back in