LegacyGT.com

Installed - Aux port - 2005 Outback (long)

sullie

I did mine slightly different, due to the fact that the original part numbers the original poster had left, are no longer valid or are now very expensive by this time.

So my angle was to buy a P-204UH for $200, and also buy the Impreza cable / Aux recepticle kit H6210FG000 for $60.

Then I just modded the i85 connector myself. Pins 1, 2, and 5 (L, R, Audio Ground, respecitvely), were unpopulated already, so I only needed to pop out Pin 6 with a tiny pick (Pin 6 is for the brown aux enable switch from the aux plug). Then I popped out all the terminals from the Impreza kit's harness connector and popped them into the i85 plug on the vehicle.

... I simply cut a hole in the console and mounted the aux plug right there.

Finally had a chance to reply to this. The terminals on the Impreza aux cable's HU plug are not the proper type to fit Legacy/Outback's i85 plug. Obviously it worked adequately for Samsonite801, but they really aren't the correct size and won't lock properly into the i85 shell.

If you're going to mount an aux jack on the outside of the center console (or really any other surface in the car, either inside or outside of the armrest console), you might as well just go with one of several different aftermarket surface-mount 3.5mm jacks that are widely available (eBay, etc.). The housings are much smaller and usually require a round hole -- easier to install.

I'd still recommend getting one of my i85 transplant adapter harnesses to plug that into, or at the very least, salvage some wires with the proper terminals to fit your car's i85 plug. All of these plugs use the same terminals:

• i85 (aux)
  • i88 (auto HVAC controls)
  • 20-pin plug that fits the OEM HU's "SIE bus" expansion port (for various OEM accessories: satellite radio tuner, iPod interface, USB, etc.).

Now that I think about it, I had mainly said what I said before just to simplify things for the reader (as I did not realize the crimp terminals were different).

In my particular case, when I purchased the P-204UH radio from the recycler, it already had an i85 connector installed with around 1 inch long of wires coming off it. So I had popped out those ones out of the i85 shell, then de-crimped the stubby wires on a few of them and I cut the old connector off of the Imprezza harness to the proper length (it was a little longer than I needed), and re-crimped the new harness to the i85 terminals and popped them back in into the correct pin numbers.

I guess I never paid much attention to the end off of the Imprezza harness when I clipped it off, so when I wrote the post before, for simplicity sake I just stated to use those ends that were already on the cable... My bad, sorry for any confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Samsonite801 thanks for the update, I like what you did there. For me, I like the aux port tucked inside the console, I just run a long wire and tuck it away in the cup console when I'm not using it but I do like the way you mounted it outside there, it's handier than having a long cord but, honestly, either way I use the aux port every day. It's easily my favorite mod on this car or at least neck and neck with the STi short throw shifter.

I was thinking about this thread and I couldn't have done it without David's (SVXdc) assistance, I bugged the living hell out of the poor man and he was always responsive and helpful to my endlessly nagging him about this or that before and after I purchased things from him so thanks again David!

So it's almost 5 years later, everything still works as the day I installed it, I've put around 115k miles on my Subie since I purchased it new back in Feb. 2006 and I exclusively use my Galaxy S5 (with the aux port) which I've had for a while now. I mostly use Pandora but I use google maps for navigation and that's pretty cool in that you get turn by turn navigation for free plus it's always up to date, includes traffic and it costs nothing which is awesome.

I was just thinking about this mod this morning, how useful it is and how grateful I am for the forums here.

• 4 months later...
Hey guys I was wondering if SVXdc is still selling the cords. Me and my dad are trying to get an AUX port for my car and my dad has emailed him twice to see if we can get the part. We have already order all of the other stuff for it and we just need the cord. Anyone know what's going on with him these days

Hey guys I was wondering if SVXdc is still selling the cords. Me and my dad are trying to get an AUX port for my car and my dad has emailed him twice to see if we can get the part. We have already order all of the other stuff for it and we just need the cord. Anyone know what's going on with him these days

Having same issue ordered a usb cable and havent heard a thing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Having same issue ordered a usb cable and havent heard a thing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah I have a feeling that he is more than likely on vacation since this has happened to people befor in the past and when he did get back he did respond. Hopefully it will be soon because my radio and console parts have already come in And this is the only part that I need to get my AUX port

Archived