LegacyGT.com

Installed - Aux port - 2005 Outback (long)

sullie

Props : Props to SVXdc (David Carter) for playing wet nurse to me for all my dumbass questions. I really appreciate his patience for all my annoying newb e-mails and for the wiring harness, it's awesome! Props also to everyone else that took apart their dash, radios, etc. and posted pictures. I couldn't/wouldn't have done it w/out those posts and pictures!

Background : I got a loaner which had an Aux port and I fell in love with it and I WANTED one. I had already installed a P-204UH oem head end unit I bought from car-parts.com.

Why Aux port instead of iPod? I'll get into later but I really wanted the flexibility of the Aux port. I went back and forth, David talked about both options, I have both an iPod and a Galaxy S phone so I knew if I wanted to use the Galaxy features I would need to go the Aux port route. And, baby, am I ever glad I chose the Aux port. I'll talk about that more in depth later.

Parts list :

P-204UH (to replace oem unit) - $225 (car-parts.com)

92174ag05a Legacy/Outback center "pocket console sia" or "bin" - $25.23

86257xa10a Legacy/Outback Aux pod "aux unit ay st" - $15.23

H6210FG011 Aux Cable - $34.76, i85 breakout adapter from SVXdc - link - $35 + Connect imprezza aux harness $10 + fast freight $8 = $53 total

Indoor/outdoor floor mat from Lowes for console bin liner - $3.00 (it's a thick durable yet soft fabric w/rubber backing) cut to fit.

The Install : Total time was like 2 - 3 hours maybe? I got my tools lined up, cut the bin liner to fit, got interrupted, ate dinner, carefully read and re-read the internet instructions I printed out and then spent WAY too much time taking the console apart trying to find the hidden screw. Everything else was a piece of cake really.

Impressions : I can't stress how cool this is. Yeah, it plays my classic iPod, yeah it plays my iTouch, yeah it plays songs from basically anything with an aux port. However, here's something kick ass I discovered. Okay, I had my Samsung Captivate plugged in right? Playing songs from Slacker and Pandora right? Which is like having satellite at your finger tips.

Nothing new there but that's still just plain awesome! Now, get this, I'm driving home from work, Slacker playing *bam* phone rings, it's the wifey. I just, by habbit, picked up the phone and voila - I hear my wife's lovely voice over the speakers and I'm talking to her hands free. I had no idea this would work so well, I thought there would be feedback but there's NONE!!!

But wait, it gets better. I turned automatic answering on so the next day when she called it automatically picked up. But wait, this is the best freaking part, I hang up the phone and the song (playing from Slacker) was cached and so it just picked up where it left off!!! How awesome is that??? I LOVE MY AUX PORT BABY!!!! :)

Links (gathered from an e-mail from SVXdc) :

Legacy PDF instructions for sub-woofer install but shows how to disassemble the console.

NewGTGuy's installation of his sub-woofer but also shows console disassembled.

tzdevil323's thread on 08 outback radio install in his 05 legacy

AUX mini input jack Subaru oem installation instructions.

Pictures I took of my install :

It all starts with the felt liner removal . . .

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/243.jpg

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/?action=view&current=243.jpghttp://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/244.jpg

It's pretty much standard console removal 101 from there on out like the links above describe. However, what I was confused on was this "hidden" screw. I took pictures of the console apart on my workbench so others could get a good look at where it's hidden.

This is a view of the console upside down on my workbench. I have the rear cup holder popped out and the trim piece above that popped out so you can see what I'm going on about.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/250.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/consolebinfastnerreveal.jpg

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/?action=view&current=244.jpghttp://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/consolebinfastner.jpg

Wires in place, I used 3 or 4 black zip ties piggy backed on to an existing wiring harness and I tried to make it neat and tucked in when I was finished. Tons of length from David's harness which was awesome!

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/253.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/254.jpg

Bench testing w/an old iPod to make sure it all worked before I put it all back together for final assembly.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/255.jpg

Homemade bin liner! :)

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/267.jpg

iPod classic

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/269.jpg

iPod touch

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/264.jpg

Android phone

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/275.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/263.jpg

Thanks again to everyone on legacygt.com, this is an AWESOME site for information and great folks! I lurk, don't post much, but I LOVE this site!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an exploded diagram of the center console parts from OpposedForces:

1163854516_20052006Legacycenterconsolebox.png.4c16a8a7cb82ad714fd728740c1ab499.png

(click to see larger image)

Link to their page with part numbers. The "hidden screw" is number 6 on the right side.

Page with similar diagram for 2008. The aux jack "pod" is the un-numbered part at the far left, just below the "22" label.

The OEM bin liner is part number 19 and runs just under $10 from the online Subaru parts places. Sounds like the $3 floor mat may be a better deal. :)

Instructions for Subaru's Aux Mini jack kit (PDF, P/N H6210AG000, for some 2007-2009 Legacys/Libertys/Outbacks outside North America that do not include the aux jack from the factory)

Also see this thread:

This kit is not available in (or applicable to) North America -- HUs in models outside NA use a different type of socket for the aux and SWC inputs (similar to the one used on 2008-2010 Imprezas and 2009-2010 Foresters). But the install procedure for NA is the same, and the harness is functionally similar to what I custom build.

ADDED: See this page: Legacy/Outback Gen4 HU Transplant.

• I Donated
Any way to get a blank plate for the aux-in port location? I'd like to get one, then drill a hole and run my iPod cable and an aux-in cable through it. It would be more elegant than my current solution (hole drilled in the bottom of the console) and would relocate the power outlet to a more convenient location for my phone charger. And maybe I could even put in a switch to turn my power outlet on and off when the car is off (I'd still have it come on with ACC power, like it does currently, but also wire up constant 12V through the switch).

Dumb question #1:

I'm assuming that female aux in jack runs to the back of the head unit (brilliant, eh?)... I'm also assuming it's hooked up with RCAs in the back of the head unit... my question is, how do I know if my stock head unit has RCA inputs in the back of it?

I'm assuming it doesn't because on the input dial on the head unit, there is no "aux" mode I can switch to.

I have a 2.5i SE FWIW

• I Donated

Your assumption is incorrect. There is a special harness that is needed for aux-in, and it only works on the radios from 2007-2009 Legacies/Outbacks. Both sullie and I bought 07+ radios. I have not purchased the special harness yet, but plan to (I'm currently using an iSimple Gateway for iPod and Bluetooth input).

The good news for you is that because you have manual HVAC, you have a lot of options to upgrade. The best one is probably to get a new dash faceplate adapter and install an aftermarket stereo in it.

The good news for you is that because you have manual HVAC, you have a lot of options to upgrade. The best one is probably to get a new dash faceplate adapter and install an aftermarket stereo in it.

One of the few redeeming factors of owning the non-LGT

And yeah eventually down the road an aftermarket HU is in order, but it's so low on the priority list.

For now, the crappy FM modulator will have to do. :(

Any way to get a blank plate for the aux-in port location? I'd like to get one, then drill a hole and run my iPod cable and an aux-in cable through it. It would be more elegant than my current solution (hole drilled in the bottom of the console) and would relocate the power outlet to a more convenient location for my phone charger. And maybe I could even put in a switch to turn my power outlet on and off when the car is off (I'd still have it come on with ACC power, like it does currently, but also wire up constant 12V through the switch).

I don't know of a blank plate but that aux port piece does just pop out. Don't know if that helps you or not?

Any way to get a blank plate for the aux-in port location? I'd like to get one, then drill a hole and run my iPod cable and an aux-in cable through it.

The part definitely exists, but may not be available in North America. I don't know the part number.

Some Legacys/Libertys/Outbacks outside NA ship without the aux jack (they have the blank cover in its place). In those markets, Subaru sells an accessory kit with the aux "pod" and harness to connect to the OEM HU. The HU's aux socket is the same type as the aux socket on 2008-up Imprezas and 2009-up Foresters.

See scans of the installation instructions in this thread on ausubaru.com:

People who installed the kit may still have the blank cover available to sell you. Otherwise you can try avoJDM and JapanParts (once you have a part number).

I added a PDF of the instructions to my post #3 (above).

• 1 year later...

i have an 05 lgt with the auto climate control and 6 disc. my girlfriend has and 07 limited with the aux port and different head unit.

my question is if i get a donor car like hers, how much additional work am i looking at besides this write up?

thanks again!

i have an 05 lgt with the auto climate control and 6 disc. my girlfriend has and 07 limited with the aux port and different head unit.

my question is if i get a donor car like hers, how much additional work am i looking at besides this write up?

thanks again!

Ping SVXdc for additional options for the aux-in part. He can supply a cable with a universal jack that you can mount somewhere else in the console if you want. I just installed a 2007 radio in my 2005, using the 2007 console bin and jack, with one of his adaptor cables, just like the OP. The only problem with that is the jack part has become stupid-expensive from Subaru. Maybe you could find used parts, but my gut instinct is that a wrecker will want to sell an entire console, not just the bin and aux-in jack.

-- Steve

• I Donated
I just ran a 3.5mm audio cable from the back of the headunit into the console. Thus, my total cost was $175 for the P-204UH, $35 for the SVXdc adapter, and $10 for the cable = $220.

I just ran a 3.5mm audio cable from the back of the headunit into the console. Thus, my total cost was $175 for the P-204UH, $35 for the SVXdc adapter, and $10 for the cable = $220.

Yup, that was pretty much my point. David mentioned that he had "other alternatives" available for the aux-in if I didn't want to spend the $$ for the console bin and factory aux-in.

I had a hard time finding my P-204UH, but finally snagged one from a member here.

-- Steve

• 1 month later...

@sullie: Nicely done... I went with the iSimple gateway route for the ability to charge my iPhone. I'm most likely going to get the aux port from SVXdc as well so that friends without iPhones can also plug in.

Anybody else able to contact SVXdc? I sent an email and a private message and havent heard back. The adapter is the last peice i need to get this radio working for the aux jack

I'd give him a few days. I messaged him on here as well as emailed him in the past and he's always good at responding, even if it takes a few days.

well the problem is, i did this almost a month ago...still no response

ahh, got it. i would try sending him another email. i emailed him a few weeks ago and he responded within a couple days. are you using the email on his website... ae64.com?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I realize this is an old thread and that there are lots of other threads with similar instructions, but since I did find this one easily by Google, and it proved be one of the most complete set of instructions and have a wealth of info in it, I decided to post my little tidbit here.

I mainly just wanted to say that I did mine slightly different, due to the fact that the original part numbers the original poster had left, are no longer valid or are now very expensive by this time.

So my angle was to buy a P-204UH for $200, and also buy the Impreza cable / Aux recepticle kit H6210FG000 for $60.

Then I just modded the i85 connector myself. Pins 1, 2, and 5 (L, R, Audio Ground, respecitvely), were unpopulated already, so I only needed to pop out Pin 6 with a tiny pick (Pin 6 is for the brown aux enable switch from the aux plug). Then I popped out all the terminals from the Impreza kit's harness connector and popped them into the i85 plug on the vehicle.

So the big kicker for me where I saved all the other money on the other hard to find parts for the console mounting is that I simply cut a hole in the console and mounted the aux plug right there.

I just thought I'd post it here in case others also find this a more suitable location as I did. I don't really like the idea of having it inside the console because I usually have a bunch of junk in there and it is a pain to have the plug in the very bottom.

So I then bought the elbow cord off of eBay to act as the connecting cable since the elbows on both ends help keep it out of the path of other things.

Hope this helps.

Here the below pics showing the aux port mounted in between the armrest and brake lever:

IMAG1565.jpg.6f4ef0023a82175e811366ef550068b6.jpg

IMAG1566.jpg.edf48345a0e34f0bfb47608295b262bb.jpg

IMAG1567.jpg.dc38a01b785a396c898f2b8ae939c8b6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived