LegacyGT.com

Why does the spec B have bigger diameter tires?

So, stock tires on an LGT are 215/45-17. Stock tires on the Spec B are 215/45-18. These tires have notionally the same sidewall height, making the Spec B wheel-tire package larger in overall diameter.

Why doesn't the Spec B come with, say, 215/40-18, or 225/35-18?

TireRack says 225/40/18 are the optional for us non-Spec B owner. But also says 215/45/18 for Spec-B

Maybe Subaru put larger tires to compensate for the shear force and extra G's the Spec B generates under acceleration? I hear that Unicorn under the hood also causes more strain on the tires....

Isn't the speed sensor a part of the tranny? They would have to calibrate it anyway since it is a different tranny, so tire diameter really doesn't matter.

speed sensor on our cars is the abs/wheel sensor. it would still have to be calibrated in the overall wheel diameter was changed significantly.

i think the speed sensor argument was meant as "they are using a different tranny for the Spec-B, therefore they will need to use a different speed sensor and calibrate it irregardless, so whatever tire size they pick won't matter, so long as it's the same for all Spec-B's"

I'm guessing the larger sidewall is to compensate for the firmer suspension a little bit.

It seems wrong-headed to me. I'm thinking specifically of the '06, which is geared the same as the regular GT.

The only reasons to go up in wheel size would be to clear larger brakes and/or to allow a shorter sidewall tire for better turn-in and more precise control, etc.

The way Subaru did it would actually make the car slower. Taller gearing, more weight. No increase in power.

Marketing BS and jewelry bragging rights.

Pretty much. They wanted to go with 18" wheels for marketing reasons, but didn't want to sacrifice ride quality, so they stayed with the same sidewall size on the tires.

Not that big of deal, though; I actually wouldn't mind the taller gearing.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I'd rather have 17s. Does the turning radius suck on all 4th gen Legacies, or did they have to shorten the turns lock-to-lock to accommodate the larger wheels? Of all cars, SUVs, and trucks (including U-Haul), my spec.B has by far the worst turning radius. I need to cross a full 3 lanes to make a u-turn.

Agreed, my 05 is just fine in the turning radius department. Not as good as my WRX was, but nowhere near as bad as the S60R I was debating on buying before I got the LGT. I was also half contemplating getting a set of Spec B. wheels that were being offered at the same time, but not at 28lbs apiece.

mine was tight when I first got her, but has since loosened up, probably from all the hard repititive driving and pushing from all angles..... wait wait we're talking turning radii aren't we....

In that case, I am happy with my LGT, plenty tight enough for my needs :dm:

i think subaru picked those sizes because they are the more popular tire size given the dimension of the wheels. for the GT, 17X7, i think a 225 would be just a smidge too wide, which is why they went with a 215. same thing for the spec b with 18x7. as for sidewall, it was probably for comfort and popular sizes.

and i think the speed sensors are the same. the margin of error should cover all tire sizes. plus when i went to 235/40/18 vs the stock 2.5i 205/50/17, my speedometer is actually more accurate now according to my GPS.

Archived