LegacyGT.com

making sure my oil is full but not too full

wut up?....im kinda new to this whole thing so sry if this is a stupid question. I checked my oil the other day and its 3/4 of the way full on the front side of the dipstick, and full on the backside of the dipstick. I pulled it out and wiped it clean many times. jus wondering how to get the most accurate reading becuase i wanna put just the right amount of oil. Also the manual says to put in 4.2 quarts. Any help would be appreciated.

measure out exactly 4.2 quarts and dump it in.

but seriously, as long as it reads in between high and low you should be fine. just read it directly off the front side with the markings and it will be as close that will matter.

INSPECTION

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. Remove the oil level gauge and wipe it clean.
  3. Reinsert the level gauge all the way. Be sure that the level gauge is correctly inserted and properly orientated.
  4. Remove it again and check the engine oil level. If the engine oil level is below "L" line, add oil to bring the level up to "F" line.
  5. After turning off the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan before checking the level.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V190367371~C42417~R0~OB0~P3R0H~N/0/115013665/117253666/117253857/117253861/34853741/56180732/57395821/34855441/34855448/120289080/120289081

1. Just after driving or while the engine is warm, engine oil level show in the range between "F" line and notch mark. This is caused by thermal expansion of the engine oil.

NOTE: To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not add oil above "F" line when the engine is cold.

Why do our dipsticks suck so much? I've used ones that make perfect oil lines. My Subaru stick is just as bad as everyone else's - unclear lines, and different on both sides. I never know which one is right.

I round up and do 4.5-5 quarts per change. Any extra oil touching the windage tray goes down anyway when the pump sucks it up on startup.

Archived