LegacyGT.com

Crap Bilstein's

NZGT

Firstly, my car is a JDM 2005 Legacy 2.0GT with factory soft Bilsteins (which I beleive are the same as USDM Spec-B shocks)

At 50,000kms (sorry don't know what that is in miles) I had my fronts rebuilt and the rears replaced with new items, the fronts had shaft play and the whole car was way too soft for my liking so i had all 4 corners revalved 20% firmer both ways. I also added some Cobb springs which only lowered the car around 20mm all round. Now after 25,000kms driving I have noticed a knock in the left rear, which could be a bush, but if it's the 25,000km old shock I'll be pretty pissed off!

Everywhere I read how Bilstein are meant the best all I've had is problems. I've had Koni and Tein coilovers in other cars and never had issues. My last set of Tein Colivers were in a car for 100,000kms and are still perfect!

Has anyone else experienced these type of problems with their Bilsteins, or is it our crappy New Zealand roads that are destroying my stocks??

50k km = about 31k miles

I had no problems with the USDM bilsteins when they were on the car. The roads are pretty rough here too...

I replaced the factory bilsteins with HDs after 55k miles (not because of wear). I think most would recommend the HDs. Although if you had your stockers revalved to 20% stiffer you probably already have HD quality ride.

lol

The roads here are some of the worst in the world, aside from third world countries :lol:

That said, I don't notice any unusual clunks with my bilsteins. You might try checking the upper mounts to make sure they haven't loosened up. Also, sometimes greasing the mounts can help reduce noise. Are you sure it isn't your sway bar that is making the clunk? The rear sway bar mounts are very weak and might be broken on your car.

You running negative camber at the rear (with Lower Adjustable Control Arms)? If so, check your lower control arm bushing as the neg camber requires the arm bushing to be tweaked to maintain the neg camber, which will typically cause the bush to wear faster and start clunking.

Beyond that, end links? or even the spring bottoms (where they're typically wrapped in rubber) are clunking on the bottom rest, or as someone has mentioned, the reassembly left something, e.g., top hat, spring perch, tightness, etc., out of spec and it's now rattling/clanking.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You running negative camber at the rear (with Lower Adjustable Control Arms)? If so, check your lower control arm bushing as the neg camber requires the arm bushing to be tweaked to maintain the neg camber, which will typically cause the bush to wear faster and start clunking.

Beyond that, end links? or even the spring bottoms (where they're typically wrapped in rubber) are clunking on the bottom rest, or as someone has mentioned, the reassembly left something, e.g., top hat, spring perch, tightness, etc., out of spec and it's now rattling/clanking.

Any idea where to buy rubber wrapping for springs? or is there such thing as a lower spring perch that will work on a Bilstein?

Archived