LegacyGT.com

Two MAJOR problems

so recently ive had what I believe to be torque bind (bad wheel hopping/scrubbing) when I make tight turns so i decided maybe its the duty c solenoid. So in an effort to fix this I put the FWD fuse in.,,, nothing, no dash light and no changes. so I also decided, hey ill mess with the tcu cords a bit, after a few different combos of plugging and unplugging I turn the car on and FWD light flashes once then gone and never flashes again.... any guesses guys on why my FWD doesnt work and if its also torque bind that makes it seem to "scrub" when I turn tight... (96 Legacy GT with AT)

doesnt a bad ball joint typically make a creaking sound??? idk ill check anyway though its such a major thing jolting thing on tight turns that I would have thought it would have gotten worse since then if it was that? hmmm,, once and a while ill get a day that it doesnt do it too lol

Lol! That's wierd dude! A ball joint doesn't always make noise. That would be nice if that's all it was. I drove on bad ball joints way longer than I should have with my Subaru. Almost a year! They never felt like they were getting worse. When I jacked it up the car to fix it, I could pull my wheel outward about an inch!! Not cool! Hopefully it's not anything to do with your trans or diff. That could be expensive!

The light for the FWD not coming on doesn't mean that you don't have fwd...that fuse is ONLY for putting the car in limp mode if something catastrophic happens to the driveline and you can only put power to the front. But that's beside the point. Did you put all the tcu cords back where they belong and start from square 1? If this has been happening from the very second you owned the car...it sounds like there's something wrong with the diffs. I've driven a few 4wd trucks, and when it's in that mode it doesn't like to be put through low speed turns, and it will bind. There's a mod on here to physically lock the center diff (I believe it's the duty c solenoid) for "fun and traction in the snow" for us 4EAT guys. On dry pavement, a way to test that the mod worked is to make a tight circle and see if there's a binding feeling as you complete more of the turn. It sounds very similar to the issue you're having...I'd put my money on an issue with the differential(s). Take out the fwd fuse, put all the wires back for the tcu, and try going over the diffs, especially the center one. Also, check out the solenoid...it could very simply be just a bad one that's causing the center to lock up all the time. But, if you've driven it like this for awhile, you've probably chewed up your front and rear diff gears...I hope that's not the case!

Our cars do have SOME drag when turning in a sharp circle, but if you are getting wheel hop it sounds like you are getting torque bind. I don't know why your FWD light didn't come on. have you checked the fuse you put in there to see if it is blown?

If you ARE getting torque bind you should get it fixed ASAP. if you let it go too long it can damage the hub the transfer clutch rides one (our 4EAT's don't have a center differential) or even shear it off the transfer gear. this makes the repair WAY more costly. you MIGHT be able to solve the torque bind, at least for a while, with a transmission flush.

If that doesn't fix it you probably have a bad Duty C solenoid or transfer valve. that is gonna require taking the extension housing off the back. if you are mechanically inclined and can get the car high enough in the air you can replace it yourself. otherwise you are gonna need to get it to a shop.

so basically it could be:

Bad Duty C Solenoid/transfer valve

bad wiring between TCU and Duty C (if FWD fuse is blown you should look into this)

trans needs flush

anyone think of anything else?

If I remember correctly, it should be a 15amp (red I think?), just a normal mini that you see all the time. Check to make sure that it's not blown first :) But...beyond that I'm not really sure. I would check the wiring to make sure that nothing's loose, or if you really want to, fiddle with the tcu wiring like you were to see if the light will pop on. Do so at your own risk though!

Someone else chime in to double check the fuse description that I gave?

Archived