LegacyGT.com

Electrical wiring help

Need some help on adding a relay to turn OFF auxiliary LED lights when I turn on my parking lights. The wiring for the aux light is a simple two wire setup, low amp draw and located close to headlight bulbs. Figured there must be a way to have the headlight voltage trip a relay to interrupt power to the LEDs. I have basic soldering skills, but haven't worked with relays.

FYI - 99 Outback wagon with JDM headlights.

A relay is pretty much just an automatic switch, with an electromagnet and a ferrous metal switch. when voltage is applied to the magnet circuit it either switches ON or OFF. That being as it is there are two kinds of relays, NO - normally open, and NC normally closed. your going to want a NC relay so that when its in the neutral position (no power applied to magnet) voltage will flow across the internal switch.

You would use this relay by connecting your headlight or corner light power source to pins 85 and 86 of the relay which control the magnet, and pins 30 and 87a to your LEDs. I'm sure someone else on here has a diagram, If not I'll make sure to check back to help you out

That's cool. In the cars that have that type of DRL's when one of the turning signal lights is on blinking the LED's turn off on the corresponding side to see the signal light better.

I am afraid this is the next wave of rice-a-roni. I saw a 06 Honda Accord with the same thing this week.

X

---

Finally got them installed and wired. Decided to wire to come on with low beams - picture attached. Still trying to track down replacement bulbs for the JDM daytime running lights. They are a wedge based LED similar in size to US 194 but produces a MUCH whiter light. Any ideas where to look for the bulb..??

IMG_0465.thumb.jpg.c61881f25b5b688ed2a1d40a5588e755.jpg

• 5 months later...
Got both sides done, wired and ready to install. Just need to find some time after work to get r dun.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92547&d=1289850777

Back from the dead.

David E., I'd like to know about the blue 9007 male connector you used in the image above. I just converted to JDM projectors on my wife's LGT, but could not find any plugs to match either the USDM female 9007 harness, nor the JDM square 4-connector harness. I picked up some female 9007 connectors (same as are on the USDM car) at NAPA, and tried to make a female-to-female connection with a trio of jumpers, but it wasn't happening. Despite my reservations, I ended up cutting the USDM 9007 harness off the car, soldered insulated female slide connectors directly onto the the car's three headlight leads, and connected each wire right up to the JDM male harness. It works perfectly, but I would have preferred to do it your way with the male 9007 adapter for a no-cut solution. That one kicks ass and takes names.

I searched and found them online - www.autolumination.com - website is not particularly user friendly. I would try emailing them direct sayying you want 9007 MALE sockets. In doing a search of their website there is not a picture of the 9007 male sockets, but they show up in the drop down selection box (http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm).

NOTE: they sent me the wrong plugs first as that's what most folks want. Replaced it no problem except I was out the return shipping. So be VERY clear which one you want.

I searched and found them online - www.autolumination.com - website is not particularly user friendly. I would try emailing them direct sayying you want 9007 MALE sockets. In doing a search of their website there is not a picture of the 9007 male sockets, but they show up in the drop down selection box (http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm).

NOTE: they sent me the wrong plugs first as that's what most folks want. Replaced it no problem except I was out the return shipping. So be VERY clear which one you want.

Awesome info, thanks!

So you obviously were able to disassemble your JDM headlight assembly for your LED project. It looks like it would be a very delicate procedure to disassemble and reassembly the fixtures, is there a big risk of cracking the housings or reflectors in this process, or are things pretty sturdy? I will probably be going with Amber LED version of the 1157 2-contact parking/turn indicator bulb (the one used on the USDM parking/turn harness, fitted into the JDM housing). In your photos, it looks like your turn signal housing is completely amber-colored, or is that a trick of the camera angle? On the JDM projectors I've just installed, there is merely a transparent plastic amber globe fitted into the otherwise clear turn signal housing. It looks easy to remove once the housings are disassembled. I'd like to go with the all-clear look, and let the amber LED parking light show the color only when illuminated.

Pretty easy to open and close. There is a full procedure on the site somewhere including one on converting the light pattern from right to left hand drive. Basically preheat oven to ~200 F, with all clips (4?) /bulbs / harness removed put assembly on a cookie sheet in oven for ~7 mins. This should soften the glue so you can separate the assembly - just be careful not to get any of the glue "stringers" on the chrome reflective part. I decided to leave in the amber globe, seems to make the turn signals brighter, not sure why.

Link to the DIY:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-jdm-headlight-blackout-and-usdm-light-pattern-conversion-127120.html?t=127120&highlight=headlight+conversion

• 3 weeks later...

Bookmarked! And I know this is a tall request from a newbie like me, but is there a possibility of detailing which wires (colors or pin numbers or orientation based on the connectors) from the JDM harness go to which wire on a 9007 male connector? Did you end up connecting the JDM city lights to the DRL on the turn signal connector like this post had mentioned: (http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3383480)?

Thanks again David!

I wired the JDM city lights to the low beams. I did not want to cut any wires and it was much easier to keep the running/turn signal lights separate.

I did not use the diagram you reference, there's another diagram somewhere on this site.

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the info. Thought you might be interested in what I'm working on.

Hey guys, was thinking of getting a pair of JDMs and putting them on my 98 LGT. Is there a link on the adjustment. Are there any issues with the cutoff since these are JDM's and not USDM's?

Link to the DIY on converting to USDM pattern.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ght+conversion

Thanks DavidE, bookmarked this thread.

However I couldn't find the link to the place somebody got the pigtail to attach to the JDM to make it plug and play for the USDM 98 LGT.

Not sure if I would be able to get it here in Toronto, ON. CAN.

Archived