LegacyGT.com

2.5i changing to a 2.5GT tire size

06Scooby

Hi, quick question here. I read through some other posts but has anybody gone from the 205/50's on the 2.5i to the 215/45's from the GT? Pro's/Con's? Was your speedo off by much since the diameter is a little smaller?

I need new tires on my 06 2.5 Wagon (my dunlops are toast as we slid out twice in last weekends snow and were never that great anyways). I'm going with the Conti Extreme Contact DWS's that seem to be the best tire for all 4 seasons. There is a $70 price difference (all 4 out the door) between the two since I guess the GT's 215's are a more common tire. I gotta do something fast and would like to save $70! Thanks!

Assuming we are talking about 16" wheels here, the 2 sizes are only different by 1.9%, that's negligible. If you have a GPS you can figure out how far the speedo is out and simply adjust your driving to suit. Even from factory the speedo is not 100% accurate.

if you're on the 17" wheel, the size difference is still pretty negligible at around 1.8%; which at highway speeds (65mph) amounts to 1mph difference.

i'd say go for the 215/45/70 if they're on sale. for all intents and purposes the tires pretty much fit the same on the car.

yeah its the 17" wheel. I have the Special edition that actually has the same wheels as that years GT. My main concern was how much the speedo would be off and if it will ride harsher with a slightly smaller sidewall. But I've heard comments of the Conti DWS's being not as sharp so maybe a little thinner sidewall will help offset that some.

yeah its the 17" wheel. I have the Special edition that actually has the same wheels as that years GT. My main concern was how much the speedo would be off and if it will ride harsher with a slightly smaller sidewall. But I've heard comments of the Conti DWS's being not as sharp so maybe a little thinner sidewall will help offset that some.

My 2.5i came with 16's, and I switched to a 215/45/17 for my summer wheels/tires, the shorter sidewall was a HUGE improvement in every way. Sharper turn-in and handling, less sidewall roll, no real increase in harshness, etc. I use my stock 16's for winter tires now, and they feel soft and squirmy in comparison.

205/50/17 - 93W (1433 lbs) load rating

215/45/17 - 91W (1356 lbs) load rating

The 215/45/17 certainly has a lower profile, but with the 205/50 having a higher load rating the performance difference might be negligible. I could be wrong though :lol:

I have the DWS in 205/50/17 and run them at 38PSI front, 36PSI rear to compensate for the squishy sidewall. No experience with the 215/45/17 size though so I cant compare

Thanks for the help. My wife is taking it down today to Discount Tire to have the DWS's put on in the GT size (215/45/17). I'm sure it will be just fine. I actually found a calculator online that will tell you how much your speedometer will be off between tire sizes. according to it @ 80mph it will only be off 1.5 mph too fast. Which is fine with me since I can use a good fooling to make me drive slower.

I'll see how they ride tonight. I can't wait to get the Dunlop Sport Signatures off of there. They were great their first year and decent in the snow but their treadlife was not what I was hoping and the snow/wet traction dropped off dramatically and noise increased quite a bit as the tires wore.

Archived