LegacyGT.com

knocking in front area

torinalth

ok, so since the suspension is different in the LGT than the WRX that I am most used to, I wanted to double check any areas that could be causing this that are different.

Firstly, the knocking is a solid on solid hit, does not sound hollow, a strong "thunk" sound. it sounds like its coming from the lower part of the suspension. I thought it was the swaybar (since I changed to 25mm, had the rear come loose, thought it was the same, was not) but all the bolts and mounts up there are tight and nothing is coming into contact.

the LCA rear bushing looks unhappy and is on the list to get replaced soon as it looks like it is cracking through entirely. the brake calipers seem to be tight, and the same with the strut to hub bolts.

the issue with the noise is that its not always when it goes over bumps, and will some times happen when on smooth road... so its maddening to try and recreate it, but on uneven planes (like taking a driveway with one wheel first) it almost always does it (which is also why i thought swaybar first). anything else that would make sense to check?

its a 05 LGT 5mt sedan with 86k if it helps :)

T

endlinks are 4 week old Rallitek links. but I did play with them to make sure they are tight to the bar and the LCA... tried to force them to move and they were tight in the socket, so I dont think I have a bum set at this point... will remove and check them out tomorrow to be sure though

• 1 month later...

ok, wanted to bump this as I have it solved. I replaced the front and rear bushings with the AVO (offset for the rear) units, and the knocking around is gone. There is a light possibility that the bushings were not the cause since I undid and redid everything on the front end.... but I kinda doubt it since both bushings (rears) were nearly completely torn through at both connecting points...

and for those who always ask about the changes.... I have not driven it THAT much, juat around town to get some windshield washer fluid and test the bushings and axles that I fixed... but the front is much more planted. vibration has increased. harshness has not. noise... well... the car is loud anyhow, with the exhaust, turned up turbo, and the failing wheel bearing.... so I cant say its any louder.... so all in all a MUCH more solid feel, and just a little more vibration.

T

Archived