LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

I looked at that midnight tab, let me know how it works out.

Looks like it has GPS, but was wary of the "Slide me" app store ?

You can always tether your phone as wifi hot spot, and have network access, so as long as you can get Google Navigator to work, and Pandora, and Torque, I think for most of us, that is like 80% of what we need.

If it checks out, and you can run all of the above, Ill jump on that too.

Grumbles at losing reverse cam though. (Though I am working on cheap composite to IP video box, testing it works, but its not automatic of the reverse wire )

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Methinks it has full android marketplace access, but even if it doesn't that handy checkbox to install from outside sources will be verrrry useful.

yeah, also you can use AppBrain and Applanet too :)

Have you decided on what you are going to do with the screen? Take the entire thing apart and mount it, similar to what people do with the Xenarcs?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Haven't yet physically held the unit in hand. I'm hoping it's fairly easy to take apart, as this seems to be the most logical assembly method at this point. Still perusing though and I'm basically sitting on my front porch waiting for the delivery.

Subscribed.

I am currently using a Fujitsu Stylistic tablet for datalogging. It is by no means integrated in the car, only comes with me when I need it, but it's very nice to use, MUCH nicer than a laptop.

IMHO, the key is integration. Once that's nailed down, I think there are a lot of tablets to choose from, either iPads or Android-based ones.

MIDnite above is nice. So is the Galaxy Tab.

What sort of OBD2 apps are in the Market?

Edited by fishbone

Hopefully I'll get the unit in the mail this week. From there my friend Bryan and I will form a plan and execute.

I haven't seen any other OBD2 apps other than torque, but then again I haven't really looked either. I loaded up both that app and the CoPilot navigation on the droid to take it for a test run, but the holiday weekend is not leaving me with much spare time.

Spare some patience for me, friends, as I get my schtuff together.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Nemo,

Got the unit in the mail, i'm tinkering with it software wise. I'm just being bombarded at work and then I have to head down to see the family for 8 days around christmas time.

So far the navigation software has been promising and wi-fi tethering is also showing hope, but it's a bit more cumbersome. The unit itself is adequate in it's responsiveness. I'll post up a new thread when integration and fabrication begins, but unfortunately that's probably not going to happen until the new year :(

Running with copilot live for a navigation solution, and so far it run's alright. I only have the North East maps on it so it takes up less space on the SD card. I'm having a bit of trouble with tethering from my droid, but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it either. I'm guessing you have the WITS A81E+ or did you get the Nationite house brand?

What are you gonna use to power it? Hard wire it to a 12v source like the cig lighter?

and how about sound? 3.5mm aux jack? i guess these wouldn't be so hard to figure out.

But, i was also wondering, will be be able to have our phones, connect to the tablet via bt and use the phone hands free? -would we need some sort of app to do this? or do the andriod tabs do this already? i just wonder if we would need to place a mic somewhere in the car, but is there a mic output on the tablet?

I've been considering picking up a cheap-o tablet from China to try something like this.

Unfortunately, my ideal setup is limited by circumstances beyond my control (lack of hardware availability, mainly).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What are you gonna use to power it? Hard wire it to a 12v source like the cig lighter?

and how about sound? 3.5mm aux jack? i guess these wouldn't be so hard to figure out.

But, i was also wondering, will be be able to have our phones, connect to the tablet via bt and use the phone hands free? -would we need some sort of app to do this? or do the andriod tabs do this already? i just wonder if we would need to place a mic somewhere in the car, but is there a mic output on the tablet?

Hit the nail on the head with the power and sound. I'm basically designing a dock that I can mount/unmount the tablet with, while still maintaining a flush clean look. Once I get some more time I'll post some pictures of the design, but as you can tell it's 12am and I'm still working :(

As for phone use, there is no Mic on the tablet so I doubt it supports it on the BT profile. There must be a way to finagle some kind of hands free system though.

I've been considering picking up a cheap-o tablet from China to try something like this.

Unfortunately, my ideal setup is limited by circumstances beyond my control (lack of hardware availability, mainly).

Try this tablet! It's cheap pretty cheap. It goes by the Nationite Midnite or the WITS A81+e

$200 is a little more than I want to spend to "try it out".
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

$200 is a little more than I want to spend to "try it out".

Not going to get a lot cheaper than that, and if they are there is some MAJOR functionality missing like wi-fi, bluetooth, slow as balls processor, no real android market, etc etc. The galaxy tab which is the closest available in spec goes for $600.

Quick estimate for this whole trial build is probably going to be about $350 total in parts and software, labor not included. That's a bargain compared to most other CarPC's (if it works that is).

• 3 weeks later...

WAAAAHHHH sorry guys, I have been a total flake. I promise I haven't forgotten, I've just been super busy. I'm looking for a donor cubby in my spare time, but long story short I've been having girlfriend and work issues to deal with.

I pinky promise to make a new detailed thread as events warrant! There will be something before the end of the month.

• 4 weeks later...

Unwarranted Update: I'm actually swapping out the unit I have for the new one with capacitive touch screen. I won't be able to use it with gloves or anything, but methinks between the jostling of the ride and stupid fingers I wouldn't want to recalibrate a resistive touch screen every time I started up.

I've got a paper mockup of the way I plan to dock the unit, but it involves cutting holes into the drivers side vent so I may have to change that.

Can I get the award for slowest progress ever now?