LegacyGT.com

5EAT; Funny noise

RedHorizon

I have a funny noise coming from under my car when I first start it and drive in sport mode between the first few gears. When I put the car back into Drive the sound goes away. Normally I do not drive in sport mode. The sound is metallic/zippy sounding. I check the exhaust. Any insight? thanks!

• Mega Users

In an 05 there is D and sport and you can move it forward or back for manual mode. If it is only in manual mode, then it may be he internal brakes. But I think the brakes are only used during engine braking.

I'd check the simple things first though, like the trans fluid. Maybe there's a leak. When was it changed last? Does it go away when warm? Or always in first through third in manual mode?

If the oil is OK, and it is always there in manual mode, then definitely have someone look at it. There are a few diagnostic tests in the manual, but if there is a problem, I'd be worried about the tests making things worse.

Edit: Manual mode (other than engine braking) uses all of the same parts in 3rd through 5th. It is only different in 1st and 2nd for manual and D.

Have you changed the filter at all? Worth giving a shot. It's very easy to do, looks just like an oil filter and it's under the battery. Take it out and replace it.

When the tranny is cold, 1-2 shifts are always hard and firm the first time around. The line pressure is high and tapers off fairly quick.

I bought the AT filter when I did my 60k service, but my local Subaru dealership said not to change the filter. They pointed out to me in the manual that it is not listened in the maintenance. I do have the filter so I'll go ahead and replace it.

• 3 years later...

sorry to bring this back up but im having the same like the issue . I want to say it started about a week ago, thought it was my breaks but just changed them and the noise is still there. it only happens in 1st 2nd and a little in 3rd, mostly in 1 and 2 between 2000 and 800rpms and only when slowing down. never does it in normal drive or in sport mod only in manual that's why im leaning towards an engine braking noise.

is that a common issue? is there any fixes for it? I have read mixed things on replacing the AT filter so not sure I want too.

what do you all think?

redhorizon did you ever fix it?

He's probably long gone now with only 106 posts and 4 years since this.

Go back to the post by Seabass. Have you checked everything is up to level. Regardless of what the FSM states about filter replacement it's painless... But be ready with a filter wrench. Those things are on TIGHT!.

Is the noise a whine or a clunk?

I had a whine for a while after doing a pad change while breaking at slower speeds. Figured it had something to do with the ABS and ignored it. Went away after a while.

Main thing about the 5EAT is keep the fluid fresh and turn it over more than the FSM is calling for. This will keep the viscosity up and remove clutch pack debris from the system. Keeping it clean helps avoid gunk building up in the valve bodies.

First time I pulled fluid it was shimmery and grey. This was after a full blown and expensive 105K service that was supposed to flush the transmission... I think they didn't do it... So I do my own work these days if possible.

thanks for your input.. its not when Im braking its an odd noise I never heard it before. it only does it in 1st and 2nd when the car is decelerating in manual so "engine braking" nothing to do with the actual breaks themselves it sounds like a whine/ chirping. I bought the car use so im not sure when the fluids were last flushed or changed in the tranny.

Pan drop... Have about 5q on hand. Drive it for a while... Pan drop again and change the ATF filter. You'll need about 11 to 12 q. I use the subaru ATF specified for this transmission.

Then you know it's clean. I used Lucas Transmission Fix on my last round. It did seem to help but As you may have noticed on the other thread I'm skeptical since I was dealing with head gaskets starting to fail.

Check your drive shaft! It's an easy check could be the increased line pressure causing extra load on carrier bearing or your u joints could be starting to fail

Also make sure your fluid level is perfect. As ClimberD taught me the 5eat hates to be low, but also hates to be overfilled. Approx 1/3 a quart made the difference in my trans doing stupid things. Drained it, measured it, added back 3 full quarts. Drive around. Measure again when warm and running, added back 1/2 quart. Drive around. Measure again.

Let cool then drive around and measure warm again added about 3-5 more ounces. And perfect tranny stopped all stupid activities

She would whine, hiss, gurgle some times, torque convertor lockup would kind of sputter as well.

I think the 5eat likes 3.7 quarts not 4 on a drain and fill

Depends... You can jack the passenger side up on a pan drop and get more out.

But your right. measuring what comes out gives you some indication of how much at minimum to put back. More if your running low.

don't drive in manual mode until the car warms up. i think that's in a manual somewhere. or, is commonly suggested around here. i used to and had crappy shifts until the car warmed up. i wait now. these cars warm up quick, should only take 5-10min.

there are special brakes in the transmission for engine braking in 1st and 2nd gear. i never downshift into first, but that's just a personal preference and also coming from initially learning how to drive a MT (at least, way back then, i was taught first was only for take off).

Thank you all for your help ill will be changing about half the ATF fluid to start and going from there.

The engine braking in 1st and 2nd I believe is difently the issue, if it is, is there really any way to fix it? It should also be noted that I have moded the car and have it tuned so it has more hp and alot more torque then stock

Also I never drive in "manual" till its warmed up, but thank you

Archived