LegacyGT.com

subaru vs audi tech

RShaw

I work for Adobe as a Consultant. My job is most likely vastly different than the other "true" engineers :)

I interact mainly with clients and once a month i go on site. There's plenty of computer face time which could get a little tedious but it pays 100k+ (this is my 5th year out of college).

A few words of advise before you spent all of you money towards an engineering degree: you really need to know your math and be serious about this degree. the school i went to accepts 200 EE and 200 CE every year, the year that i walked, there were 40 people. Many of them decided that engineering is just too hard and pursue computer science. I personally think computer science is harder :)

bottom line, engineering degree not only prepares you for a technical role but it also enables you to do pretty much whatever you want. People that has an engineering degree has the ability to learn new things and learn them quickly. be serious about what you are about to do and really go after it.

good luck.

Hey if you guys with engineering degrees wouldn't mind giving me a quick description of your job that would really help me decide which engineering specialty would suit me best. I've read about some of the different engineering degrees, but it would great to hear it from someone actually in the field.

Ok, so the "finish school" recommendation has been mentioned MANY times already, and I seriously hope you are going to do that. Let me give you another few pieces of information that I have found over the years (36 years old here, bachelor's and master's degree)

Getting a 4 year degree, ESPECIALLY an engineering degree teaches you a way of thinking. It teaches you a logical, thoughtful, and process oriented way to approach problems. I would argue that all jobs, regardless of background or level of importance within a company, ALL deal with problems. The TYPE of problems change (of course) depending on what company you work for, how high up you are, and what field you're in. Regardless, there are problems to solve though. An engineering degree with teach you that THOUGHT PROCESS. (undergrad in Chemistry here, that's been my experience)

In the real world, I've only experienced the work world since 1997, but that's a while. I've found that there are a WIDE range of employees when looked at through the lens of decision making STYLE and ABILITY. Again, a technical degree will teach you a way of thinking through problems that will be very beneficial no matter WHAT job you take.

More perspective on a different point. Finishing a 4 year degree is critical. Many people in this thread have recommended it. I was in your shoes back in 1995, and came very close to not finishing. Oh my Lord am I ever glad I did. I can tell you my salary would be no where NEAR where it is now had I not have finished. Certainly, the master's degree helped a lot, but without the undergrad degree, I would be sunk.

More perspective. Yes, the economy is down right now, but you're still young (heck, so am I at 36). If you retire at 65, you'll need almost FOUR MORE DECADES OF INCOME. Do you think that the relatively poor condition of our economy will STAY THE SAME for the next four DECADES? Gawd I hope not. It is likely to recover to some degree in the next 10 years. That means you'll experience 30 years worth of a relatively healthy economy. Do you want to make a decision now about your education that will put you behind your peers in 15 years? I hope not. They can NEVER take that degree away from you, it follows you wherever you go and will ONLY ever help you in whatever you pursue.

Final bit of perspective. I applied for a job within my own company back in January (looking for a horizontal move, needed a change). I met with the hiring manager for the first time for my 1st round interview. Do you know what he said? "Congrats, you made it to the second round". I was confused. I said "Uh, this is the first time we've met, what do you MEAN second round?" He said "You actually got an interview. I had to go through FOUR HUNDRED APPLICATIONS for this position, and I'm bringing in about 5-7 of the best applicants. From there, I'll select 3 to move on to meet my leadership team."

FOUR HUNDRED APPLICANTS........think about that. Assume for a MINUTE, that half of those people are WILDY unqualified. That gets you down to 200. NOW assume that half of THOSE are mildly unqualified. That gets you down to 100. NOW assume that only half of THOSE actually have experience that is CLOSE to what the hiring manager wants, now you're down to 50. That's still FIFTY PEOPLE you're competing with.........now think of that progression if you didn't have a four year degree........

Hopefully my points come across the way they were intended....to encourage you. It is a VERY competitive world out there. You need to do EVERYTHING you can to ensure success, long term. Persistence is also key.

Keep your head up, you'll NEVER regret finishing that degree.

Wow thank you, that was very informative stingray. After the 20th person said GO TO SCHOOL, i decided that I would be an idiot not to listen to everyone. Im going to apply to a local school, fairfield university, as soon as i get back home. I'm also going to work on getting financial aid.... My sister is going to school out of state right now for less than it was costing me to go to a state school.

Hopefully this thread will be helpful for some of the other lgt members in my position. The main reason i haven't been able to pick a trade and stick with it, is because i feel like i have the potential to do more. Its not because i wouldn't have fun in a trade, or make a decent living.

Wow thank you, that was very informative stingray.

My pleasure.

After the 20th person said GO TO SCHOOL, i decided that I would be an idiot not to listen to everyone. Im going to apply to a local school, fairfield university, as soon as i get back home.

Wise decision.

The main reason i haven't been able to pick a trade and stick with it, is because i feel like i have the potential to do more. Its not because i wouldn't have fun in a trade, or make a decent living.

More perspective. Remember I said I applied for a job in January of this year? Want to know the reason why? Because I thought I could be contributing a LOT more to the company I work at than I already was. I wound up not getting that job, but that's not the point. In discussions I've had with other people in my group, there are MANY people who feel that they could be doing more.

I know you feel that way too (like you could be doing more). Keep in mind that business in general has an old heirarchy to it. Meaning, there has been a lot of structure that has been built over time. Roles and responsibilities (vertically) across organizations are pretty defined. That is changing as the generations that occupy those roles changes, but it is a SLOW change.

What I'm trying to tell you is that you are NOT alone in thinking that you could be doing more. MANY people think that way. I would encourage you to try for a blend of keeping that attitude with not getting frustrated because you can't make a wholesale improvement in it overnight. Follow my meaning?

Long term employment is all about balancing your wants with the organizations ability to deliver against them.

Personally, I find that achieving my potential can also be balanced with hobbies where you are MUCH more in control of your own destiny. Food for thought.

Hey if you guys with engineering degrees wouldn't mind giving me a quick description of your job that would really help me decide which engineering specialty would suit me best. I've read about some of the different engineering degrees, but it would great to hear it from someone actually in the field.

Depends on the day.

I've written then performed then published my own test procedures. I've developed analysis tools, and designed processes to ensure accuracy and compliance of our products. I've done structural evaluations for building modifications "on campus", and I've implemented them when my designs got approved. Some days, I set up and instrument tests and launch 600lb chunks of metal across half a football field. My job is pretty "catch all" and I credit my experience in so many different fields.

I only work part time though. I'm working on a masters degree in Mech. Engineering at the moment.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

A little hard work for the next ~4 years will pay for the rest of your life.

Hallelujah!

Get your degree. CE will still be a great field for years to come, no worries. Take whatever 'green' courses are available, as environmental concerns are becoming increasingly important in just about every field.

(ME here.)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I am a EE, but I spend most of my time as an embedded software engineer.

Basically we write software that runs in devices besides PC's.

We are always working on a wide range of projects.

We are currently working on communications devices to work with railroad radios. We have helped design emergency call boxes, Cable modems, IP-phones, networked printers and other things. The fun part is our projects usually last 6 to 9 months so you dont get bored.

Plus as side projects you have the skills to do crazy custom electronics for your car.

For fun, I designed an electron ignition system for my old corvette

and designed an electric motor system to drive the mechanical speedometer.

Pay wise, you should make $100K per year after about 8 to 10 years of experience. Assuming you go to a decent school. I went to Ga Tech. The starting pay for a GT engineer is about $55K. I am sure others schools are similar, I just dont know what they are.

The down side is you have to keep your engineering skills up to date. In my area, I am using 50% new stuff every 3 or 4 years.

Im one of those people that does not believe in college degree's although I do plan on going back and getting one because I want one for the future.

My wife graduated college with a high GPA and shit there is no work out there for college students without any experience no one will hire you anywhere. I think work experience is the most important. My wife is currently employed by a company that only requires a H/S diploma I believe. I dont look down on people with a H/S diploma but take every job you can because in the end all that counts is WHO YOU KNOW, and sometimes only WHAT YOU KNOW.

• 2 weeks later...
+1 on engineering. I did my time as a mechanical engineer and now I do civil work. It's the most generic degree you can get in terms of job potential. Get your paper and find a job -- wrenching won't get you that far.

I'm an unemployed aerospace engineer who's just about given up on engineering! I just scored a 710 on the GMAT, which I think is a pretty solid score so hopefully I can get into a good business school to pursue an MBA...

Pay wise, you should make $100K per year after about 8 to 10 years of experience. Assuming you go to a decent school. I went to Ga Tech. The starting pay for a GT engineer is about $55K. I am sure others schools are similar, I just dont know what they are.

The down side is you have to keep your engineering skills up to date. In my area, I am using 50% new stuff every 3 or 4 years.

I was definitely underpaid during my time at Loral working as a satellite engineer, but that was my fault for staying with the same company for too long (including through Loral's Chapter 11 re-org). My base salary was only $65k, most I ever grossed in a year was under $100k even with bonus. (BS Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech)

I should've pursued an advanced degree long before now!

Obviously "GET THE DEGREE!" is a given, but I want to add my $.02 to the engineering piece of it. Be sure to do an internship or co-op also. I have a Mech Engineering degree and an MBA, but didn't do an internship because I couldn't afford it. I had a lot of trouble finding a job in engineering (in part to the lack of internship and fact my ex-wife wouldn't move to an engineering rich area)

Have said that, I ended up working in Banking as it was abundant in NC. Within 3 years I went from walking into an Asst Manager position (something I couldn't have done without the MBA a a couple years supervising a waitstaff) into a Branch Manager position. As stated by stingray, the degree also teaches you a way of thinking and rationalizing information (something very important in a financial/business field) I am not making near what I thought I would, but I also decided to stay closer to home (WV) where jobs aren't as abundant, however, I know I wouldn't be where I am now without that piece of paper showing a prospective employer, "Hey this guy can put forth the effort to finish what he starts"

And +1 to civil engineering, ALOT of state and federal jobs are gonna be up for grabs in the next 10 years when all the baby boomers retire from their positions, just in time for you to be in line to get one.

... and if you do decide to go the business route, I scored in the 93 percentile on my GMAT without studying.. just by applying the basic logic and math skills I learned in my engineering degree....

I'm still leaning towards civil because I've been around construction for my whole life. But instead of installig the drainage system I could be designing it... I have some time to decide because it looks like I'm only going to get in part time for this semester.

I keep on hearing experience is key, always get some experience before going out and doing something so you have a first hand look, whatever. I chose my school (northeastern) because they require the co-op; 3 separate stints for 6 months, and the money I earn goes back into paying for my tuition (I want to pay for my own education). I'm so glad I took that up, and can't wait to come out with not just a bachelors in mech. engineering, but with experience. I'll soak up as much as I can :)

And audi vs. subaru tech: my legacy hasn't given me a single hiccup besides an exhaust leak and a bad front cv, both of which I knew about before I bought the car at 140k miles with an unknown number of miles on the engine. And, my dad's A4 that he bought brand new in 02 has had multiple failures, most of which are electrical. Right now he's dealing with a bad heater core and a leaking cam seal with 120k miles. Enough said, I'll stick with subaru for now!

So I was one of them guys that worked at VW Lexus Audi and Porsche and left the auto industry after a short time. I was even a breath away from Ferrari but the problem was not the $/hour but the volume. I love wrenching but it is something I do at home now. I am back in school and got a Govt job now and don't have to worry about what is going to roll in or my turn in the pecking order. Truth is the senior guy will get the $$$ jobs and you will get the oil change especial for 6/10ths. Auto industry is turning around but so is the car culture people expect 100k waranties and many like BMW's service plans. As a tech that is just crap warranty pay. I miss the new cars but not fighting for work daily. Good luck and stay I school.

I keep on hearing experience is key, always get some experience before going out and doing something so you have a first hand look, whatever. I chose my school (northeastern) because they require the co-op; 3 separate stints for 6 months, and the money I earn goes back into paying for my tuition (I want to pay for my own education). I'm so glad I took that up, and can't wait to come out with not just a bachelors in mech. engineering, but with experience. I'll soak up as much as I can :)

And audi vs. subaru tech: my legacy hasn't given me a single hiccup besides an exhaust leak and a bad front cv, both of which I knew about before I bought the car at 140k miles with an unknown number of miles on the engine. And, my dad's A4 that he bought brand new in 02 has had multiple failures, most of which are electrical. Right now he's dealing with a bad heater core and a leaking cam seal with 120k miles. Enough said, I'll stick with subaru for now!

I wrenched on many a euro car and Audis are like strippers, only show you love when you throw money at them!

That is frist hand experience

Archived