LegacyGT.com

More speed out of our stage2?

So for us who have the basic stage2 legacy GT ( turbo back exhaust, possibly an intake, and a stage2 tune) and want some more speed without a bigger turbo, let's hear some ideas!...Especially if you have done it yourself and have seen the benefits. ie: lightweight flywheel, e85, etc!

Up pipe, tmic and a good tune, is all you need. A good clutch is something to add also.

I'm happy with my catless up/dn pipe, tmic, Spec 2+ and a good tune. I spent a hour with my Tuner tweaking the street tune yesterday. At 135,000 miles the car pulls great. I can feel the skin on my face getting pushed back in 2nd gear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

06 lgt. Did the complete sti conversion. Connected the sti tmic with an sti hose (had to cut it to make it fit). Has come off 2x. Is there a better hose or one that is molded to exactly fit this conversion? Just added a spec stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel and a vf43 turbo. Faster than the former vf39 but there is a new harmonic at 37-40 mph in 5th gear. Must be the new flywheel.

^You shouldn't be driving in 5th gear at those speeds. I found the same thing a stage 1, when I went to stage 2 that mostly went away. Yes, it is caused by the LWFW.

Also when I was at Precision Tuning in Lakewood NJ on Saturday, on there shelf I notice a blue hose that looks like it would fit from the TMIC to the TB. Give them a call, tell them the guy who picked of the tranny on Saturday with the black 5 speed wagon sent you.

The hose was out in the area where you first walk in, it's still in the bag.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Max, so I shouldn't even be coasting in 5th gear at that speed?

Sure you can, it just depends on which philosophy of "engine bogging" you subscribe to. Im not sure how different the gearing is on the 6MT vs 5MT, I'm pretty sure your 5th is my 6th, but I can be in 5th at 40 with absolutely no problem.

I constantly tach below 2,000 RPM with no problem also. The car doesn't buck around, doesn't struggle and doesn't need to be mashed on to go in that RPM range.

Some people tell you that you shouldn't be taching that low, that it's bad for the vehicle, and you should tach higher and be in a lower gear, but I'm not too sure about that.

The issue for me with my ACT HD clutch/pressure plate, lightweight flywheel and solid bushings is all the chatter/vibration at the super low RPMs though.

^You shouldn't be driving in 5th gear at those speeds. I found the same thing a stage 1, when I went to stage 2 that mostly went away. Yes, it is caused by the LWFW.

Also when I was at Precision Tuning in Lakewood NJ on Saturday, on there shelf I notice a blue hose that looks like it would fit from the TMIC to the TB. Give them a call, tell them the guy who picked of the tranny on Saturday with the black 5 speed wagon sent you.

The hose was out in the area where you first walk in, it's still in the bag.

Did you get your car tuned there?? They are about 2 hours or so from me.

Getting the max out of any turbo is the same. Increase flow and cut drivetrain losses. How much you will gain with a VF40/46 is questionable due to the size of the turbo, but here goes:

Intake

Port and polish VF40 with ceramic coating

TMIC upgrade if goal is response, FMIC if goal is as much power as possible

headers/ Grimmspeed ported & coated outlets/x-pipe/up

Coated catless 3" straight through turboback exhaust

LW Flywheel

Lighter Rotors

lightest tire/wheel/lugs set-up you can find

Custom Tune with Torco blend or race fuel.

Really silly things:

inlet

TGV deletes

EWG

custom lightweight driveshaft

coilpack upgrade

LW underdrive pulleys, (yeah it will probably ruin your engine with the LWFW, but as they say you got to play to play)

IC cryo setup, IC sprayer, or just move where it is really cold all the time.

Strip all extra weight from the car

Beyond stage 2:

Fuel pump and Upgrade injectors to run E85

stoker 2.7L rebuild with P&P heads

Are all these things going to make a difference, no but you would never know until someone did them all and tested it on a known dyno or quarter mile with the right driver.

:lol:

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Did you get your car tuned there?? They are about 2 hours or so from me.

No just picked up a rebuildable 5MT. I use Mike at Tuning Alliance.com to do my tuning.

As far as *practical* weight reduction goes for a daily driver I have heard things like taking out the spare, buying a lighter battery, taking out noise insulation in the trunk.... What other practical things would everyone suggest?

Btw, just to clarify I am talking about legacys which are already satage 2. ie: my stage 2 with a catted downpipe, cat back exhaust and a custom tune from infamous via accessTuner. Just looking for an extra edge to push things a little faster w/o dropping 4 g's on a larger turbo.

As far as *practical* weight reduction goes for a daily driver I have heard things like taking out the spare, buying a lighter battery, taking out noise insulation in the trunk.... What other practical things would everyone suggest?

take all the useless crap out of your car and lose some weight yourself...lol

My plan is simple.

CNT catted downpipe.

IPR TMIC

AVO TB hose

Grimmspeed Heat Shield

PTP Turbo Blanket

Custom catback

That is all I intend to do for power mods. I'll probably have Infamous tune it. I'd be happy with ~250whp and ~280ft-lbs, which I don't think is unreasonable. I just want something quick enough to stay interesting without being harsh, or aggressive. My ultimate goal is to simply smooth out the drive, especially the low-throttle, low RPM jerkiness. I don't think I'll sacrifice anything in terms of reliability with the above setup.

I have a bunch of other stuff waiting to go on the car also, but they'll just make it faster in areas unrelated to power production. They are mostly suspension and brake mods (Bilstein HD's and Brembos).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived