LegacyGT.com

How to Tune 5EAT Line Pressure

ClimberDHexMods

Anybody want to try some experimental logging parameters for RomRaider? I can't promise that these will do what they say they will do, but it's worth a try. Unfortunately I don't have an AT so I can't test them myself.

Add the XML below to RomRaider's logger.xml file, create a new log profile with all of these plus engine speed (RPM) and throttle plate angle, and log a few seconds of cruising plus a pull. You might not be able to log all of them at once depending on how many other parameters you have selected.

You can add these near the top of logger.xml, after the <parameters> line and before the first <parameter> line - the ids won't be in order, but order doesn't really matter.

<parameter id="P307" name="NSFW Beta - ATF Temperature" desc="" ecubyteindex="16" ecubit="6">
                   <address>0x00004D</address>
                   <conversions>
                       <conversion units="raw" expr="x" format="0" />
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

<parameter id="P308" name="NSFW Beta - Gear Position" desc="" ecubyteindex="16" ecubit="5">
                   <address>0x00004E</address>
                   <conversions>
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

<parameter id="P309" name="NSFW Beta - Line Pressure Duty Ratio" desc="" ecubyteindex="16" ecubit="4">
                   <address>0x00004F</address>
                   <conversions>
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

<parameter id="P310" name="NSFW Beta - Lock Up Duty Ratio" desc="" ecubyteindex="16" ecubit="3">
                   <address>0x000050</address>
                   <conversions>
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

<parameter id="P311" name="NSFW Beta - Transfer Duty Ratio" desc="" ecubyteindex="16" ecubit="2">
                   <address>0x000051</address>
                   <conversions>
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

<parameter id="P312" name="NSFW Beta - Throttle Sensor Power" desc="" ecubyteindex="16" ecubit="1">
                   <address>0x000052</address>
                   <conversions>
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

<parameter id="P313" name="NSFW Beta - Turbine Revolution Speed" desc="" ecubyteindex="16" ecubit="0">
                   <address>0x000053</address>
                   <conversions>
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
I'll give em a try. Finally got the ecu updated. It's hard to tell for sure since I went from RT of 408 to 500, but it does seem to be firmer, especially in low to mid throttle. I did some logging, so I just need to flash with the stock RT tables and log some more. Max is still the same. We all confirmed that the max didn't change when we did testing over a year ago, so no surprise there.

They are not in the experimental logger defs that I posted earlier. I Jon and I came up with them over a year ago, and I had forgotten all about them.

In theory they should work for all AT Subarus, so I'll see if I can add them to the official defs if they really do work.

• Mega Users

They didn't work. The only ones that showed up were the gear position and turbine revolution. I assume the others aren't compatible at all with the 5eat. For some reason, even freessm only shows the solenoids in current or pressure, so I assume that any solenoid PIDs in duty cycle are for other transmissions. But something similar is already in the experimental logger defs.

Here's what showed up.

Untitled.thumb.png.a9478e24dcf85e2d485c4dd6bf1dffad.png

• Mega Users
Damnit

Dont worry. The experimental defs work. All of those PIDs in that image work except the two that are selected. There is good info, its just hard to get back to back runs that can be compared. Eventually it will happen but i still need to flash the stock rt tables and compare. Still experimentation to do with making the full range of pedal angle at high rt to see what happens.

• 1 month later...
  • Mega Users
I forgot to mention this earlier. Setting the max requested torque with the added definition in efuflash didnt work. I set the max to 500 and it reduced my max throttle plate to around 60%. Back to the drawing board, but the way i had it scaled, the low to mid throttle shifts were much stronger. Im going to play with it some more and make it so the entire throttle plate map ranges from 300 to 406 and see how it works.

• 3 months later...
  • Mega Users
This has come as far as it can without someone disassembling the tcu. The wot line pressure wont change from rt, but you can mess with the line pressure at lower throttles. We still don't know how much difference it actually makes, but there is definitely a difference.

This has come as far as it can without someone disassembling the tcu. The wot line pressure wont change from rt, but you can mess with the line pressure at lower throttles. We still don't know how much difference it actually makes, but there is definitely a difference.

I hope to eventually get around to measuring the difference in line pressure solenoid duty cycle. Anyone could check it.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi ClimberD,

So I've recently encountered the common gear 2-3 shift shock/hesitation on my 08' Legacy GT. I performed the clear memory 2 with the Vag-com cable and freeSSM and it seems to be re-learning. I did this about 2 days ago. It seems like I'm beginning to see some of the shift shock disappear, but I'm still getting hesitation in certain driving scenarios and the engine is still over revving by about 500-700 rpms when it goes to shift. This usually occurs at high rpms and WOT.

The question I'm getting to is, do you think this 2-3 gear change issue could be a line pressure adjust if the relearn isn't taking? Or could it also be the issue of air bubbles in transmission solenoids that need to be purged, and if so, whats the easiest way to purge these lines? I just hope there is an easy solution because I'm actually trying to sell my Subie (sad, I know):icon_sad: and I just want to resolve this one issue before I put it on the market. The transmission has also had the torque converter, valve body and solenoids replaced thanks to the infamous torque converter lock up issue. That was all replaced under warranty and it took Subaru 3 times to get it right.

Thanks ClimberD! Your threads have been insanely helpful!

• 2 months later...

Finally got off my lazy ass and made the changes in my tune. Flashing as we speak, I'll come back with results later.

LE: only went through 3 startups and I can tell there is a subtle difference. Seems to have partially taken care of the lazy 1-2 shifts at part throttle.

I've made a 30% increase in the tables.

On a side note, nice to see I am within 1PSI of my target boost with an intake temp of 110*F

What did I miss then? There are 2 tables to modify, correct?

Maybe this is because I already have the IPT valve body mod so I'm running into a mix of TCU programmatic limitations as well as mechanical (valve body needs to be modded further).

• Mega Users

Could be from the IPT. Idunno. Could also be that you're stage 2. Small increases would be more noticeable with less power. It's in no way a major improvement. If it was, there would be more than a few of us messing with it.

Did you reset the trans? IMO, you should reset it after a change like that if you want to see a difference. Do the same when you flash back to the original maps for a decent comparison.

• 4 years later...

Archived