LegacyGT.com

How to Tune 5EAT Line Pressure

ClimberDHexMods

• Mega Users

I think the only way to get valuable info from this is to change maps on the same car and compare the two. I'm willing to try it when I can find the time. I'm also fine tuning my stage 1 map, so my limited time is even more limited.

I got it to work. The file was somehow corrupted. I downloaded it again and it works perfectly.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
Yes, it's one of those hidden relationships. On the one hand high requested torque may call for increased line pressure in the 5EAT trans. OTOH it can restrict throttle angle to less than 100% in 1st and 2nd gear in a manual. There are still a lot of undefined tables in the ECU logic... what may have no side-effects for the MT guys may be horrible for the 5EAT, and vice-versa.

I'm wondering if I'm getting this side effect from these tables or if it is something else with my map. I punch it at 2500 rpm in 3rd and the logs show 85% throttle open angle and it slowly climbs with the revs to 95% at 5500 rpm. It is still much faster than before, but there is definitely something funny going on.

Has anyone else logged TPA with these changes to their map?

It seems like the car won't exceed around 416 requested torque, so it is not letting the throttle plate go higher. Just a theory, so I changed it to a 30% increase over stock. Hopefully I can flash it this evening.

• Mega Users
Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a chance to do some pulls with stock RT and TP maps, then with them increased by 30% and 40%. I'd like to log all of the solenoid pressures for those with freessm as well. I need to pinpoint this. Hopefully I can find the time!

Maybe cause of the diff tcu for 08+...

Also no problems with boost psi, but I can see how RT effects boost targets

Can you summarize what you've done to your 08? I'm looking for clear instructions so I can work with my tuner on my ROM.

Just to share, RT affects boost targets due to the wg tables and target boost table using Torque as its X. So if you ask for a higher torque request via dbw, it wll ask for higher wg and a higher target boost as per the target boost table.

I havent come across any proof via logged data that increasing torque request values will have any kind of improvement. Merchgod over romraider specifically posted before not to exceed the highest torque requested value found in your oem map.

Its easy to graphically see how the edited dbw map will look like using the workbook made by Airboy over at romraider. Here's the link http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic957.html

• Mega Users

So the strange anomaly I am getting is that when I log RT, at WOT it only goes up to 408 no matter how much I increase it. The throttle plate then follows what would be 408 on the TP map. So if I increase it 40%, the throttle plate will start at 85% and go up to about 95 at redline. If I increase it by 30%, it will start at 95% and go up to 98%.

With stock RT and TP tables, the throttle is at 99.8 no matter what RPM at WOT.

I logged manifold pressure with both maps. I did two runs with everything the same except the RT and TP maps. The yellow line is with stock RT and TP, the red is increased 30% with the header for the TP increased 30%. These are as back to back as you can get when stopping and re-flashing. The IAT were within 1 deg on both. It only goes up to 5200 rpm in this comparison. I had to slam on the brakes...I never expected a cop to be on a private road:lol:

The thing to remember is that even though these are close, the red line starts at 93% throttle and gradually goes up to 99 at 5200. The yellow is 99.8 all the way.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=766&pictureid=4056

http://legacygt.com/forums/album.php?albumid=766&pictureid=4056

• Mega Users

Can anyone with a pre-08 ecu confirm that they can only log RT up to 408? Or confirm the throttle angle reduction?

My next step is to do a 27.5% increase over stock which will put the max at exactly 408. I think that will fix the throttle problem.

One thing that is becoming clear is that in addition to the extra maps on the 08+ ecu's, it is calculating things differently.

so i gave this a try,

results

shifts are crisper and pick up off part throtle is much better

on a side note if you put in 1.30 in the value box after selecting the entire graph for RT and hit MUL button it will make all the values 30% higher, anyway still loging to see if boost and what not so will report back

On logging in FreeSSM, log the following: 1,2,3,4,6. Do this in AUTOMATIC mode, and look at the P/L solenoid pressure the closest. If you can get it above 1370kpa in a 05/06, you have managed to raise the line pressure. If the apparent throttle travel just goes to 100% early, then you hadn't done anything to help full throttle.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92532&d=1289796611

Quick and dirty way to see if you have bumped up the max pressure:

Start FreeSSM with you cable hooked up to your laptop and car. Engin off, ignition on.

Click transmission.

Click measurements

Click the "+" sign

Add "P/L Solenoid Valve Pressure"

Add "Accelerator Pedal travel"

Click "Add"

Click "start"

Put car in "D" with the motor off and parking break on.

Push the throttle to 100%

Record the pressure.

Flash new throttle/requested torque map.

Replete.

If you have a higher pressure, this actually works, and you know how much you added.

Thank you.

But... the pressure we are arguably looking for is the amount during a shift. This would require logging. The pressure during steady state cruising would always be around mechanical maximum, no?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Thank you.

But... the pressure we are arguably looking for is the amount during a shift. This would require logging. The pressure during steady state cruising would always be around mechanical maximum, no?

No, it selects the setting based on throttle (or requested torque), not what it's capable of or just when it's shifting. Watching it shift, it looked like it only bumped up the pressure if it was below some threshold map. Otherwise, it just stayed at whatever it came up with for that throttle position in "steady state".

There ins't an an analog pressure sensor in the transmission anywhere that we can measure. We can just look at what the TCU is TRYING to do, and see if changing the requested torque makes the TCU try harder.

Speaking of which, it is entirely possible to hook up a pressure sender to a trans port that is plugged, and log system pressure. I suspect it is the one on the front driver side, but need to check. Either way, it would be a logable representation of the TCU target.

Either way, thank you for the write-up and information!!!!!!!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived