LegacyGT.com

H7 headlight LED or HID conversions

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone here has attempted to replace their H7 halogen headlight bulbs with LED replacement bulbs. I've seen supposed plug-n-play replacements on the internet, but I don't know anything about their quality, or if LEDs are bright enough to work as headlights. People on other forums have said that they're fine as DRLs, but not for night driving. On one forum someone said that typical headlight bulbs put out around 1500 lumens, whereas LED put out about 60 lumens. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Also, had anyone tried an HID conversion on their legacy? I'm interested in any tips, or hearing about issues that anyone has come across. :)

• 1 month later...
LEDS are not bright enough, go HID.

LEDs are/can be bright enough for headlights. The last Infiniti Q45 used LEDs for headlights. Also, I work for a defense contractor building armored vehicles for the military. One of our new vehicles has an LED headlight in the same large diameter round military style headlight. High and low beams are LED. Each uses multiple LEDs.

LEDs are/can be bright enough for headlights. The last Infiniti Q45 used LEDs for headlights. Also, I work for a defense contractor building armored vehicles for the military. One of our new vehicles has an LED headlight in the same large diameter round military style headlight. High and low beams are LED. Each uses multiple LEDs.

LEDs can be bright enough, but as you stated there's always an array of LEDs (Q45 has at least 7 based on pictures). Individual diodes aren't widely available with enough output for a reasonable cost. Due to the factory projector design and H7 bulbs, I'd bet money that it'd be effectively impossible to easily retrofit LEDs. HIDs on the other hand? Very easy conversion and very cheap these days.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone here has attempted to replace their H7 halogen headlight bulbs with LED replacement bulbs. I've seen supposed plug-n-play replacements on the internet, but I don't know anything about their quality, or if LEDs are bright enough to work as headlights. People on other forums have said that they're fine as DRLs, but not for night driving. On one forum someone said that typical headlight bulbs put out around 1500 lumens, whereas LED put out about 60 lumens. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Also, had anyone tried an HID conversion on their legacy? I'm interested in any tips, or hearing about issues that anyone has come across. :)

DRL is ok for leds. my fren has led angel eye. too dim. i am on some korean h7 6k hid conversion & 3k hid foglights. no problems so far. most problems will be just the slim ballast blowing. i tried 10k but it was too blue for me

Q45 did not use leds. Actually it was an hid bulb behind the 7 smaller lenses. I could tell because I took a set apart, however the new Audi R8 has the option of led headlights, which is like a $5000 option. The Lexus LS600H do come with led headlights standard.

Archived