LegacyGT.com

A/C Compressor Clutch Replacement - DIY Walkthrough

I would check your motor mounts.

Sent from my Z71 using Tapatalk 2

What's the easiest way to check the mounts, what am I looking for? The engine was out of the car 20,000 miles ago but the mounts are probably original. The guy definitely didn't change them 20,000 miles ago. This vibration thing is new this summer.

I would check your motor mounts.

There is definitely some vibration at idle with the AC off and with the car in drive, not as much as with the AC on and not all the time. If the car is in park, I don't feel it.

Another clue. The vibration comes on like shaking and then it idles fine. And then it comes on, starts out like barely there then quickly builds, then it's fine, say every 10-15 seconds in a cycle.

Edited by clearanceman

Get under the car after properly supporting with jack stands and inspect the rubber engine mounts. One on either side (passenger/driver) of the bottom of the engine. If they appear to be torn or cracked, or if you can rock the engine back and forth excessively, replace them. It's good insurance even if it isn't your problem.

Get under the car after properly supporting with jack stands and inspect the rubber engine mounts. One on either side (passenger/driver) of the bottom of the engine. If they appear to be torn or cracked, or if you can rock the engine back and forth excessively, replace them. It's good insurance even if it isn't your problem.

Will do. I had a buddy hold the brake with the car in drive, the engine rocks side to side, it's a lot worse with the AC on, but it's pretty noticeable even with the AC off. The air cleaner is rocking side to side enough to test the flex hose from the air box. Busted mount and/or miss?

Another person suggested motor mounts or aftermarket axles. I had aftermarket axles installed in June. Guess I'll check the mounts today. Hope it's not the axles, I hate to buy new ones and I guarantee Advance won't accept a return based on vibration. FWIW, Advance axles are a nightmare, the first two were bad and both have been replaced and they still click at times. Advance says lifetime warranty on axles means one replacement so I got to pay for this this time. I sure won't buy them from Advance Auto.

I checked the mounts are they aren't very bad, the main part of the rubber looks almost new. Not sure how to check the axles. It's like no vibration then some then quickly a lot like a jack hammer type vibration then lessens then does it again in a cycle. Oh well, tough to figure out. Anyone have axle vibration, how did it feel?

Suggest making a new thread for more help

Agreed. Based on the severity of the vibration you describe, it's unlikely to be related to the A/C compressor. If it was, you'd be able to see the compressor vibrating (more like jumping around) with the hood up if it feels like a jackhammer in the car!

Sorry I missed your post. Yes, I had to beat the ever lovin shit outta the pulley to get it off. Had me worried but the new pulley just slid right on.

Good luck, the second snap ring is a bitch to get at because it's so recessed and all the stuff that's in the way.

Yep.... I already gave up on the second snap ring for the day lol. Hot radiator and trying get this cheap snap ring tool in is pita. Going to give a shot tomorrow morning when its nice and cool. At first I was going to try and solder the wires back, but I a used compressor at a junkyard for 75 bucks, so i'm going to just swap them. If I can get that second ring out, its really in there.

My ac works again!!! So I did exactly what was said and it worked out extremely well. I highly recommend the snap ring tool.

If you want to maximize room for snap ring tool. Remove driver side radiator fan 3 10mm bolts, you also have to take off the small pipe that feeds into reservoir. You can get driver side fan out by itself if you remove ac tensioner, 2 12mm bolts. Don't forget to unplug fan.

Edited by Tehnation

• 11 months later...

OK, so I just can't get the pulley off after removing the first snap ring. It will not budge... Any ideas???

I'm wondering if I even got the right compressor. On ebay it said 2002-2005 compressor... And there were no washers to remove after getting the clutch off.

Edited by leakypipe86

Sorry I missed your post. Yes, I had to beat the ever lovin shit outta the pulley to get it off. Had me worried but the new pulley just slid right on.

Good luck, the second snap ring is a bitch to get at because it's so recessed and all the stuff that's in the way.

Yep, mine was press fit on and it took quite a bit of "convincing" to get it off. I used a big screwdriver and a hammer to get that ****** off.

I have AC finally! I had to bang the hell out of the pulley to get it off on both compressors. Definitely not pressed on. Took me about 1.5 hours with the right tools. Getting the snap rings off and on are a PITA.

Thanks Solo, you saved me over a grand!!

I have AC finally! I had to bang the hell out of the pulley to get it off on both compressors. Definitely not pressed on. Took me about 1.5 hours with the right tools. Getting the snap rings off and on are a PITA.

Thanks Solo, you saved me over a grand!!

Glad it helped. :-)

-Bob

• 1 month later...

Bump and awesome walk through.

My 2005 took the dump and Ima try this out before getting the whole damn thing. My thread here ---> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bad-ac-compressor-214290.html

Anyways, since I hear that some compressors for the legacygt are different, how do I know which one do I need to get off ebay or junkyard ?

My car was manufactured in 12/04 if that helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
My CEL light came on today when the A/C was on. with the A/C on, the car had an odd vibration coming from the engine bay whenever i was idling at a light (in gear, in neutral, didn't matter). A/C works though, if the A/C works, is there any reason to do this fix? I"m just trying to diagnose the issue. Gonna either stop at dealer or autozone tomorrow to have codes read.

very weird. I just got the ac system running in my 2003 and there is a very weird vibration as well when the ac is on. comes and goes when sitting with the engine on and idling, and driving between 1500 and 2000 rpms, anything higher and its not noticeable. Its kinda like a bbbmmmmvvvvvv....bbbbmmmmmvvvvvvv, very deep and low vibration. I am wondering whether it is the clutch or the compressor.

very weird. I just got the ac system running in my 2003 and there is a very weird vibration as well when the ac is on. comes and goes when sitting with the engine on and idling, and driving between 1500 and 2000 rpms, anything higher and its not noticeable. Its kinda like a bbbmmmmvvvvvv....bbbbmmmmmvvvvvvv, very deep and low vibration. I am wondering whether it is the clutch or the compressor.

Over time, any compressor gets harder to turn... whether it's the bearings or need of a recharge with lubricant or what, I'm not sure. Could it just be that when the compressor kicks on, it's causing enough strain on the idling engine that it vibrates? I never noticed that with my Legacy, but have noticed it in other high-mileage 4-cylinders that I've owned. Do your RPMs drop while the compressor is running, even slightly? This alone wouldn't worry me, unless it was a pretty bad vibration.