LegacyGT.com

Just my luck....

Learn something everyday I suppose.

Down here in West Florida, its been a steady downpour for two days straight. Today, it cleared up, and I had an appointment with a local tuner to tune my LGT. I decided to get some good Shell gas, as I planned to embark on yet another long trip once the tune was done (I travel extensively for my job).

What happened next was not fun: The car cranked and didnt even make it out of the gas station without shutting down. After getting both the tuner and the dealership involved (I just had my 90K service done yesterday), it was concluded that bad gas was the problem.

Of course, when talking to the service attendant (Some lady), they tried to put it on my not taking care of my car and whoever worked on it. (and subsequently, tried to claim I flooded the car....like she knew what she was talking about). The manager as well, said the same thing. After threatening him with calling an inspector out to test the gas (He claims the station had tested the gas in the last hour), both him and his maintenance guy check the regular and premium tanks for water.

Guess what: water in the premium tank. And LOTS of it. The dealership got a sample of it, and a good deal of the sample was water. The station/corporate will be paying for the repairs, as they have claimed full responsibility already. The dealership thinks no major damage has been done, but I'm not super convinced yet. Is there anything I should be aware of when I pick up my car tomorrow? (hopefully, that is?)

Cliffs:

1. Its been raining alot lately

2. Car isnt running well after bad gas.

3. Manager claims no water in gas

4. Manager eats crow, when he tests gas and realizes water significantly contaminates tank of premium gas.

5. Help?

Well its very weird to have your gas/water cause a problem that quick. For water would have had to fill the lines rander quickly and I would think you had gas in your tank and lines and fitler before filling up... wierd problem. But hey anything is possible oil does float on water and gas is made from oil. Wierd problem.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Learn something everyday I suppose.

Down here in West Florida, its been a steady downpour for two days straight. Today, it cleared up, and I had an appointment with a local tuner to tune my LGT. I decided to get some good Shell gas, as I planned to embark on yet another long trip once the tune was done (I travel extensively for my job).

What happened next was not fun: The car cranked and didnt even make it out of the gas station without shutting down. After getting both the tuner and the dealership involved (I just had my 90K service done yesterday), it was concluded that bad gas was the problem.

Of course, when talking to the service attendant (Some lady), they tried to put it on my not taking care of my car and whoever worked on it. (and subsequently, tried to claim I flooded the car....like she knew what she was talking about). The manager as well, said the same thing. After threatening him with calling an inspector out to test the gas (He claims the station had tested the gas in the last hour), both him and his maintenance guy check the regular and premium tanks for water.

Guess what: water in the premium tank. And LOTS of it. The dealership got a sample of it, and a good deal of the sample was water. The station/corporate will be paying for the repairs, as they have claimed full responsibility already. The dealership thinks no major damage has been done, but I'm not super convinced yet. Is there anything I should be aware of when I pick up my car tomorrow? (hopefully, that is?)

Cliffs:

1. Its been raining alot lately

2. Car isnt running well after bad gas.

3. Manager claims no water in gas

4. Manager eats crow, when he tests gas and realizes water significantly contaminates tank of premium gas.

5. Help?

well, it happened to me before, the gas manager didnt pay for the damage, even my dealer has the sample of their gas water.

geico paid for me, $3500 total damage,

I paid $500 deduct..

good luck with yours :)

As long as you get the water out of the system quickly it shouldn't be a big issue.

Adding some extra ethanol may help too. Like a one or two quarts on a tank since ethanol mixes with water. The ECU may be a tad confused by the change in mixture but that should be a passing problem.

In my opinion it would have done them good to get an unplanned visit from an inspector.

453747.png

As long as you get the water out of the system quickly it shouldn't be a big issue.

Adding some extra ethanol may help too. Like a one or two quarts on a tank since ethanol mixes with water. The ECU may be a tad confused by the change in mixture but that should be a passing problem.

In my opinion it would have done them good to get an unplanned visit from an inspector.

my suggestion is to stop driving as soon as possible, tow ur car to the shop and let them take care of the job,

I tried to add "water remover" product, and some clean gasoline, didnt work..

If water got into that tank then something is very wrong with it. And if that much water got in then that gas station is facing some major EPA fines. Not to mention if water can get in then fuel vapors can definatly get out so its also a very dangerous situation to.You car should be fine. The water would have been pumped thru the fuel stations system and that is filtered, so the water shouldnt have any major contaminants.The fuel system in your car would need to be drained and alowed to dry out. The fuel filter would need to be changed and I would def do an oil change. The chances of the injectors shooting out enough water to hydrolock you car are very slim so there shouldnt be any major damage as long as this is all done pretty quickly. Still I would pull the plugs and the IM and make sure there is no water build up and alow those time to dry as well.

I too am surprised that recently aquired gas/water mix made its way through the whole fuel system before the car even left the gas station. You must have a VERY short fuel line (is the gas tank on top of the hood?).
It is still ugly.

Yeah I found that kind of odd myself. I was told onnce that even some small cars post tank fuel systems can hold 2-4 liters of fuel. I would think you would have to have driven almost 10 miles or more before there would have been a problem. I dont know a ton about fuel systems. Is it possible the fuel could wash back into the tank and then the water get sucked in right away? I guess the answer to that would have to be yes being that there are two people here claiming to have had this happen to them.

Since water is heavier than gasoline and the pump sucks from the bottom the result is that water goes first through the system.

And there isn't much volume past the tank. Also consider that the fuel pump always pump max flow and the pressure regulator feeds the overflow back to the tank in the return line.

453747.png

Update:

I did some research and found that issues like these have happened within the state before. Luckily, the article I read had the number in which I could call to register a complaint.

I made a call this morning (to the State), and an inspector went out to the station. The inspector did record that there was water in the tank, and a report will be made available to me to help secure reimbursement.

Both the Inspector and the dealership separately confirmed that it was nothing but water at the bottom. Again, the sample the dealer received from the tank was nearly all water DESPITE me having a quarter tank of gas in the car prior to the visit to the Shell station. (I would imagine this is because water is denser than gas, and the gas floated to the top.)

With the timing between the time the station got gas, and me stopping at the pump, its quite possibly that I am the only car affected.

Not trying to get anything out of the station that reimbursement for the damages (which wasnt very costly, thank goodness). The only thing that bothers me now, is that I had to drive the G35 instead of the Legacy, and will prob put a good 2000 miles on that car instead of the wagon. http://www.acurazine.com/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif Not what I intended to do.

Side note: being that it was nothing other than water pumped into my tank, it wouldnt take very long to cause a problem. Of course, the car was towed to the dealer. I also filed a complaint with the EPA.

Archived