LegacyGT.com

New brakes for my Outback XT

DAVES XTOUTBK

So I went for my 30,000 mile tune-up at the dealership and they suggest new brakes at my next oil change; around $650 for OEMs. This does not include rotors since they said they only need mild refinishing but the pads are real thin.

Anyway, I want better than OEM performance for the street and I gather from some of the posts here that Carbotech Bobcats are a decent way to go since I haven't heard any complaints. Any thoughts on my summation??

dave

BTW, car is 2008 Outback XT

I like Hawk pads, personally.

$650 is absurd. Brakes are REALLY easy, especially if it's just pads. You can get pads and new rotors for less than $650.

KNS Brakes is a good source, as is MSprank/Infamous Performance.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Mega Users
I haven't used the carbotechs on my OBXT, but on my former mini, I used hawks and the bobcats. There was no comparison. The carbotechs had more initial bite than oem with really good temp tolerance and almost NO dust. They were very easy to modulate and were a great upgrade. The Hawks were exactly like stock with less dust. I will definitely be getting the bobcats when my oem brakes wear out!

hawk hps pads and centric premium rotors are going up front tomorrow morning on mine.

talk to Joe at KNS

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

They definitely screwed us. All outbacks have the same brakes as the NA legacy. The swap to LGT brakes is pretty simple though. They are definitely too small for a 3800 lb turbo car!

You're a few hundred lbs over there :lol:

I don't have any front end damage on mine yet so they must be doing the trick.

• Mega Users
You're right...it's 3500 without passengers and the brakes are not so inadequate as to kill you on a regular basis...but they do not match the weight and power of the car like they do with the LGT wagon which is the essentially the same car with different suspension and brakes.

Archived