LegacyGT.com

'08 legacy GT made in '07??

Hello, I am a new member here and this is my first post. Long story short, I had a 2005 Stage 3 Supercharged Cobalt SS/SC. Notice how I said "had?" Well I was involved in a not at fault car accident 2 weeks ago that totaled my Cobalt. So I decided to try my luck with a Subaru and with a turbo car ( I have never owned either, my last 2 cars where both supercharged ). I picked this up @ my local Dealer used with 50K ( I opted for the extended 100k warranty ;)), so I popped on here and started looking around to see what info I could find out from the Forums, and noticed a couple people saying they had problems with the 08 GT's weak internals. Further investigation relieved that it was one's made in feb of '08 on, and I got worried. So I went outside to check my particular Legacy's production date and was shocked to see "04/2007" on the sticker in the door jamb. So my question is this - is my car really an '08 Legacy Gt, and do I have to worry about weak internals???? Was considering doing some light mods, but nothing to crazy as I am out like $3-5k in mods on my Cobalt now that it is totaled.

This isn't uncommon for auto manufacturers. Auto manufacturers do not follow a calendar year like we do. Notice how we have 2011 out when it's still 2010? It is not uncommon for a "2008" car to be built in 2007. Your car is more than likely a 2008, so don't worry about it :)

As for weak internals, I haven't heard about this from reading on these forums. Usually it's a blown turbo problem but that is usually MY 2005. But that all could be a coincidence based on its age, time, etc.

Here is a recall for 2008 MY:

SEP 11, 2008 | Recall ID# 39147 Hide Details

Recall Reason ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Recall Date SEP 11, 2008

Model Affected LEGACY

Potential Units Affected 16715

Recall Summary

SUBARU IS RECALLING 16,715 MY 2007-2008 LEGACY SEDANS AND WAGONS, MY 2008 IMPREZA SEDANS AND WAGONS, AND MY 2009 FORESTER VEHICLES. SOME VEHICLES MAY HAVE THE CYLINDER HEAD-SIDE OIL SUPPLY PIPE AND TURBOCHARGER-SIDE PIPE IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED.

Consequence

VIBRATION WOULD OCCUR WHILE DRIVING AND, OVER TIME, COULD EVENTUALLY RESULT IN CRACKING THE PIPE WHICH WOULD ALLOW OIL TO LEAK. IF LEAKING OIL CONTACTS COMPONENTS OPERATING AT HIGH TEMPERATURES, AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE COULD OCCUR.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL INSPECT FOR CRACKING OR AN OIL LEAK AT THE OIL SUPPLY PIPE AT THE CYLINDER HEAD-SIDE. AN ADDITIONAL BRACKET WILL BE INSTALLED TO INCREASE RIGIDITY OF THE PIPE AND THE PIPE ASSEMBLY WILL BE REPLACED WITH A MODIFIED PART. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 20, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783.

Notes

SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. WVF-16

But in only the 4th month of '07?

I guess my main concern is if I fall into the possible bad internals thing I was reading, I mean if mine was made in '07 I would have the Subaru made internals, not the outsourced ones I assume.

Again, the 2011 Legacy has been out since, like August 2010, so see how that works?

Keep it stock if you can't afford upgrades right now. Stage 1 at the most.

The ringlands are a pretty common failure point. Keep a VERY close eye on your oil levels.

My '08 was also built 04/2007 and was stage 2 for about 20k miles before the ringland on my #2 piston went south.

Now I'm finishing up a 2 month motor build I never really planned on... pay to play.

Keep it stock if you can't afford upgrades right now. Stage 1 at the most.

The ringlands are a pretty common failure point. Keep a VERY close eye on your oil levels.

My '08 was also built 04/2007 and was stage 2 for about 20k miles before the ringland on my #2 piston went south.

Now I'm finishing up a 2 month motor build I never really planned on... pay to play.

Wow, good to know. what is the stage 1 option on these Legacy's? Would it void my warranty? I am new to Turbo cars, so I should keep an eye on the oil level? Check it what, every other time I fill up with gas? I got a service book with the car from the dealer. Car was traded in for a newer model by a business man who trades in every 2-3 years or so. Every single scheduled maintenance procedure was done @ the dealer from day one, car is LOADED with every option exc the in dash GPS and is bone stock / super clean other than a little rim rash on the passenger side rims, but I will probably be getting nice summer rims / tires from tire rack next summer and using these rims for snow tires ( Winters can get bad in New England )

Yes... but I still want to attribute that to poorly made pistons, or a combination of the both.

Though I did notice some oil consumption issues somewhat shortly after going stage 2. Also, the knock correction was disabled at certain RPM ranges, so even though I didn't have a perfect tune, the motor should've at least lasted longer than it did.

Archived