LegacyGT.com

5EAT IPT transmission swap + flashing AWD = … ?

aperfectlegacy

2007 5EAT with a used IPT transmission from a 2006 GT swapped in. 11/2/10 – I finally (thought) I had sorted out all the issues and I decided that the 60 degree and sunny weather provided just the sort of circumstances to stretch the legs out a bit. A 20 mile drive through deserted b-roads seemed a good place to start. I must add an aside here: I have had my Legacy in and out of shops for the previous month with additions and work to repair those additions that were incorrectly done. The month of October hurt my wallet – full built (used) IPT 5EAT w/ torque converter and valve body, QTP electric cutout welded into a Cobb SS down pipe, Cooper Zeon tyres in 225/40/18 and a coilover adjustment. Long story short – I did a couple long pulls with the cutout open on said deserted b-roads and "at speed" the car felt like it was wandering all over the place. My previous set up was higher with worn tyres and a stock transmission and felt much more stable on the same stretch of tarmac (at much, much higher speeds). After the third pull, I decide that I'm finished being a child, boy-racer and to drive like a grown-up. It was at this time that I notice a frantically flashing AWD light on the dash. "Um, $hit!" I think was uttered aloud. I pull over at the next approach, check for obvious things – leaks, overheating, etcetera – plug in my Accessport and check for codes – nothing – and finally cut the motor and let the car tick itself cool. 5 minutes later I start the car and the AWD light is gone; and it doesn't return over the next 30 minutes of driving back into town.

So what now? I had a slight leak from both the transmission and the front differential after the swap that have been addressed and fixed since. Neither of which were severe enough to cause any appreciable volume loss (yes, I checked the levels). I've read about a FWD fuse that is on certain model 5EAT Subarus. I know for a certain fact that when the shop was installing the electric cutout (the switch is mounted to the left and below my steering wheel) they had the fusebox out looking for a 12V source. The 07 GT did not have VDC. Is the wandering a function of the tyres or lacking AWD? I don't know. Any input would be greatly appreciated in helping me pin down the source of this issue.

Oh and before anyone mentions it, let me quote from the bible, book of gearheads: "Stay stock, stay happy." :spin:

Accessport is unable to read codes from 5EAT. You'll need a Subaru computer to read codes from 5EAT.

I would contact IPT with your AWD light, could be from the input / output sensors on the tranny, might had a different rpm readings. They had my wagon on the lift running in gear (checking for leaks) and triggered AWD light.

The front and rear speed sensors are part of an external harness. When mine went bad, it did not trigger the AWD light, it triggered a CEL and flashing cruise. The CEL was a TCU, not ECU.

Anywhoo, do you have a laptop? What about an OBD2 to USB cable? Get a VAG-COM cable off eBay for 12-15 bucks and there is a free open source program around here that will let you read/reset the TCU. A heck of a lot cheaper than the hour labor your dealer will want to charge you.

^ Thanks. I figured that the Accessport would not be able to read a TCU parameter, in my case, the flashing AWD light, but I thought that I would plug it in anyway. More or less, I was hoping that on the CAN bus cars (07+) I could read transmission temperature from the Accessport's "Live Data" function. No such luck. I do have a laptop, however, I do not have the required cables. I should have them anyway for data logging purposes, so I should bone down for the VAG–COM as it is. Forgive the puns. It would be helpful to read the codes coming from the TCU, but I don't think a reset is necessary as the AWD hasn't returned. Thanks for the suggestions! I do love this forum, although it has cost me more money than not.

Please don't think this is an IPT complaint thread. I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the full-built IPT 5EAT. The shifts are brutal and incredibly fast (think just shy of the Evolution X MR twin clutch 6AT). The IPT 5EAT adds an entirely new dynamic of driveability: whereas the stock transmission seems to take an eternity to drive home the next gear, the IPT 5EAT engages them with authority. I will get a video up soon of the machine in motion. Oh yes, and it sounds like God is singing with the cutout wide open and the shifts hammering down in perfect sequence. Perhaps later today, even. :)

Video is being uploaded into iMovie. Hopefully I can turn the video right-side up again from the GoPro. And to jim1969: the 05–07 5EAT transmissions are the same. The valve bodies are the same and the rest of the components are 100% interchangeable. 2008 is when minor changes were made to the 5EAT. Make your popcorn!

Doesn't the 07+ LGT have a different 5EAT than the 05/06?

Different TCU. And apparently something might be wrong with your center differential or the inputs that control it...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Different TCU. And apparently something might be wrong with your center differential or the inputs that control it...

Right. I stand corrected. The 07 TCU is different insofar as it will automatically upshift (and downshift) while in manual mode, whereas the 05-06 MY's did not. I certainly hope it isn't the center differential. I haven't seen the AWD light return since it reared its ugly head two days ago. I have not reset the TCU in any manner. Does the Legacy GT fix itself? :lol:

I bought the IPT transmission used from a fellow Legacygt.com member. The install (I also talked the shop into welding in the cutout at the same time) cost $695. The real shocking expense came in the form of Amsoil ATF. All said, I believe the total cost in fluids alone was something like $115. Directly from ITP, the full built transmission will remove exactly $4795 from your account. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaru5eat.shtml Is it worth the money. Yes.

Right. I stand corrected. The 07 TCU is different insofar as it will automatically upshift (and downshift) while in manual mode, whereas the 05-06 MY's did not. I certainly hope it isn't the center differential. I haven't seen the AWD light return since it reared its ugly head two days ago. I have not reset the TCU in any manner. Does the Legacy GT fix itself? :lol:

I don't know enough about the TCU learning logic to say anything. I suspect the only member who does is utc_pyro. That said, I see no harm in going to a dealership and having them use the Subaru Scantool to reset the TCU. The big differences are of course the VB pressures, and the torque converter no longer behaving in accordance with the TCU's settings.

If you can somehow bump forward our painfully low level of understanding of the 5eat, that would be very helpful for both you and all of us :)

Edit: My biggest hope for the future is still the MegaShift that Frankster is using to control his 5eat in his 3.8 buick-swapped legacy. He has addressed every problem I can think of related to the 5eat being rather sophisticated vs the old GM trannys that the Megashift most notably is used for. If you can confirm your problem to be just a software issue (and it could be anything), then that is a hugely under-utilized option for making the 5eat do what people actually want. It is very DIY intensive, but the rewards appear to be worth any hastle. I personally am just waiting for Frank_ster to push it a little more. If he continues to be successful, then it will be a very likely mod...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I bought the IPT transmission used from a fellow Legacygt.com member. The install (I also talked the shop into welding in the cutout at the same time) cost $695. The real shocking expense came in the form of Amsoil ATF. All said, I believe the total cost in fluids alone was something like $115. Directly from ITP, the full built transmission will remove exactly $4795 from your account. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaru5eat.shtml Is it worth the money. Yes.

Hmm, spending all that money, I think I would rather swap into a manual, and spend a little more. That is if I actually get to that point. Though, having a fast auto Legacy that has a tranny to hold solid power numbers would be coo too. How much power can the IPT hold on avg?

Hmm, spending all that money, I think I would rather swap into a manual, and spend a little more. That is if I actually get to that point. Though, having a fast auto Legacy that has a tranny to hold solid power numbers would be coo too. How much power can the IPT hold on avg?

The member I bought the transmission from went that route. He said that given the same turbo set up on E85, the car was faster with the automatic transmission than it is with his current 5 speed. I'm not here to get into a 5EAT versus the world argument; my daily driver is a standard 5 speed and I love driving it. However, there are some serious modifications and (from what I understand) some fabrication work required to properly convert a 5EAT Legacy to a 5/6MT Legacy. There will always be some advantages gained and some lost when you start talking automatics versus manual transmissions. I love them both, and to be honest if I hadn't bought the IPT transmission used at a fair price, I may have just waited and gone the 6MT route as well. Am I glad things worked out as they did. Yes. Am I going to swap for a 6MT unit down the road? not a chance (as long as the 5EAT doesn't grenade). In terms of power-holding capacity, no one really knows. It seems so few people have broken into that 400 awhp mark and even fewer of them are 5EAT people that no one is certain at what point even IPT's transmission begins to stress. I hope to be one of "those people." Next spring will see the E85 modifications and tune. After that, turbo… etcetera. I would imagine, however, that the STi 6MT (aka the Spec B 6MT) can hold more power than even the mightily built IPT 5EAT. I hope I prove myself wrong :cool:

Just watched the vid, man, the motor sounds awesome. By the sound of it I can already tell the full-modded IPT tranny shifts quicker than just the VB mod. Very nice!

Does the QTP make a noticeable difference as far as how the car pulls? I'm assuming it's hooked up right after the downpipe?

Just watched the vid, man, the motor sounds awesome. By the sound of it I can already tell the full-modded IPT tranny shifts quicker than just the VB mod. Very nice!

Does the QTP make a noticeable difference as far as how the car pulls? I'm assuming it's hooked up right after the downpipe?

Thanks fishbone. The QPT cutout is welded into the downpipe. So, alas, my Cobb SS downpipe has been hacked up severely. However, the shop that did the install specializes in building race cars (they even built a 9.xxx second Camaro for my ex-girlfriend's dad). There are no leaks whatsoever from the downpipe when the dump is closed. The only difference between opened and closed is probably a 100-200 rpm quicker spool on the turbo when the dump is open. Oh, and the volume :spin: !!! I should get a video of the tachometer up later tonight of the actual speed with which the IPT full built transmission shifts. I think I may have some :eek: 's at how brutal the 5EAT can really be. I will try to keep the video limited to empty roads (not hard to find in North Dakota) and as close to the posted speed limits as possible. :lol:

Wow that is amazing. It sounds like a DSG. If I had got anything like those shift speeds with the VB mod I would have been stoked.

Ultimately I felt the VB mod was not worth the money - maybe it improves the long term reliability, but I felt it was certainly not much of an improvement in shift speeds.

Archived