LegacyGT.com

Access port/Inspection question

I'm kind of new here. I read a lot but I don't post very often.

I apologize in advance if there is a similar thread to this out there, if there is I didn't have any luck in finding it.

I'm 60 days over my inspection period and I got pulled over yesterday for having one of those clear temporary stickers. I have a 2005 2.5GT with an Invidia catback exhaust and a Invidia catless downpipe. My problem is, ever since I've installed my exhaust the Check engine light has been on throwing the front O2 sensor code. I bought one of those bungs (i think thats the word..) to screw into the DP before you screw in the O2 sensor to try and trick the computer, but that didn't seem to work. My thought is the check engine light is going to remain on because there isn't a catalytic converter in the downpipe, right?

My main question is: If I bought a Cobb access port, could I get a map to clear the codes? Is upgrading to stage 2 my solution? I really need to get it inspected and I want to make sure an AP will solve my problem before I spend the $500 I don't really have. I really appreciate any feedback.

I THINK the cel is common with the dp and can be cleared with the ap and/or map. Did you buy the car with those mods, or did you have them put on? The car should have a stage 2 map on it if you are running the dp.

I've owned the car since 2005, I put the exhaust and downpipe on myself in May of 2010. I know I should have a stage 2 map on it, but funds are pretty tight for me and I just havent had the chance to upgrade. I would be down for an open source tune, i'm just not sure of any mechanics in the North East who will do it. I'm thinkin an access port is the easier way to go so I can get my car inspected asap.. yeah?

So your main goal is to get it inspected? Why not try one of those small independent garages? I am sure they can inspect it and pass it with the cel on. Not sure if that catless dp will cause any issues on the smog test.

No offense but your first mistake was modding a car with money you don't have.

The second mistake was running a DP without a tune for 6 months. Your AFRs are leaned out which is bad for the engine.

Find out what kind of emissions testing they do in NH. If they do a sniffer test, you will not pass catless even with a tune and the cel turned off. Even without the sniffer test, they may fail you on a visual inspection.

Is the rear 02 senson installed in the DP? I have the same down pipe and when i initially installed it i couldnt get the origional sensor out of the stock pipe so i had to drive without it until i was able to get another.

I got the same code but it was cleared once i installed a new rear o2 sensor. That was before i did my stage 2 flash with the AP. Just a thought.

05 LGT Wagon STI powered

Is the rear 02 senson installed in the DP? I have the same down pipe and when i initially installed it i couldnt get the origional sensor out of the stock pipe so i had to drive without it until i was able to get another.

I got the same code but it was cleared once i installed a new rear o2 sensor. That was before i did my stage 2 flash with the AP. Just a thought.

The same thing happened with me. I couldn't get the original sensor out of my stock downpipe either so I rode without one for a week or so. I bought a bung to screw the new o2 sensor into, but the CEL stayed on (it worked on my brothers STi). Maybe the bung is making it throw the code? I'm in the process of buying an AP, and I'm hoping it will make my troubles go away.

Archived