LegacyGT.com

New New Jersey Exhaust Law "Tampering"

squiddmonster

Found out about this today. I went to inspection and was told my car was failed for "tampering". Modifying the cars exhaust from stock. I was told that any aftermarket exhaust is now illegal in New Jersey. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it. I have a hiflow cat and yes it is louder than stock but so are thousands of other cars, trucks and motorcycles. :spin::spin::spin:

I don't know how that law EVER passed.... Any "Aftermarket replacement" exhaust is NOT stock technically... Do they expect you to run OEM only?

I wonder if the law states that you can't use "for offroad use only" items... Which unfortunately most louder aftermarket exhausts carry that tag.

Time to get an OEM setup to bolt on for inspection and then put the aftermarket back on later. Or find a better shop. I know depending on which shop my father in law takes all his British cars will vary what they even look at. Some just say the brake lights work, the horn works, the windshield isn't broke... here's a sticker.

Only thing I found online for recent law was a 95 DB limit... did it change from then?

this stuff is absolute horse shit.

Harley's roll down the road with open ******* straight pipes and I cant change the muffler on my car. How the F is this bullshit legal in a free society for crying out loud. I get the no DB above a certain point, but that shit needs to apply to everyone or no one.

Harley's roll down the road with open ******* straight pipes and I cant change the muffler on my car. How the F is this bullshit legal in a free society for crying out loud. I get the no DB above a certain point, but that shit needs to apply to everyone or no one.

Well put my friend. Besides the fact I hate Harley's, those straight pipes are just rude and obnoxious.

you should never take your car to free inspection stations if you mod it. now you have to go back with oem parts and pass. next time pay a private shop the $70-$80 they charge for inspection and avoid the hassle.

dont try to just avoid the hassle of swapping parts now and go to a private place because no one will pass you with a fail sticker. they aren't going to risk their license now that their is a record of your car with illegal parts. you must now swap your parts and go back to a state place.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

If NJ is emissions only inspection then they should NOT be able to fail you for modifying the exhaust unless that has compromised the emissions output such as catless... That I can easily see them failing you for... Even if your code isn't present they could say that you visually have no cat installed.

CT is Emissions only and no inspection... They do a walk around and give me a piece of paper showing what SHOULD get replaced, but they can't fail me for say bald front tires, or the exhaust that I put on there... As long as it passes their tests and it appears to have a cat installed.

I know there is a DB limit in my state too, but they don't check that either. I think it's more like a, "well you did it so you'll get the ticket" deal...

And I agree with the above on the Harley statements.

Someone should start a petition about that. Put a DB limit on them or remove it for cars, since they are ALL motor vehicles.

How the F is this bullshit legal in a free society for crying out loud. I get the no DB above a certain point, but that shit needs to apply to everyone or no one.

Here is where you are unfortunately mistaken... We aren't a free society, certain political groups only lead you to believe you living in a free society. I just applied for my handgun permit before they take that away from us...

-mike

I have an Invidia turbo back and Invidia equal length header. The down pipe has a high flow cat and the header does make it all louder. That was not the argument though. It started with one inspection agent then two then three and finally the supervisor all huddled around my engine bay. I walked over and said whats wrong? The reply was you have no catalytic converter. I pointed to it and said yes I do its right there. I was of course out voted. Im going back today with paperwork stating its a high flow cat. and if I can get a copy of that page in the law book I will and post it.

That's complete BS... It was there and you were out voted... WTF do they know.

I would have put up more of a fight and told them there is NO way they can fail you unless they have 100% proof that what you are pointing to is NOT a catalytic converter.

I also would have told them to put it on the sniffer to prove that its out of spec, that is if your positive the cat there would bring your emissions levels within spec.

Okaayy. Its was considered tampering because they thought I had no cat on the car. My mechanic called the state and got clarifacation of said 'Tampering". Since it does have a cat im good to go and can get passed. I will post that page of the law though for all thta are interested. Mike ill be down to hit that kegerator this afternoon and front pads.

cut-offs on any vehicle using a public raod are illegal in NJ

$25-$1,000 fine

good luck getting the cops to enforce it but, you can take the offender to court

Well put my friend. Besides the fact I hate Harley's, those straight pipes are just rude and obnoxious.

i dont care that you hate harleys. but i own one. if it werent for the loud straight pipes i would have been killed already. not everyone pays attention. hell, 2 cars crash. why? one didnt see the other. but mostly likely they will both live. if a car hits me cause he cant see or hear me, then im a dead man. my LOUD ass pipes have saved my life several times.

Archived