LegacyGT.com

Bilstein Japan to stop making Bilstein BTS 5056J Kit

I want to be mad about this, but the reality is I could never really justify the cost (Maybe if I had an XT I'd feel differently), so I guess I have no right to be. Sad news for those who are willing to spend that kind of money though, as it seems like the best 'street' solution to the Outback's wallowing suspension..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

We need someone to buy one of these kits, and get it re-created by Bilstein US (or Germany).

But if you want my 2 cents: it was greed by the middlemen that killed this kit. 5 times as many would have sold (maybe more) if pricing hadn't been highjacked by middlemen. When Schneider bought his, he paid 128,000 yen. The exchange rate was more favorable too. Now, just try to find a a kit for 128,000. Then the markup on top of that is significant. You know, sometimes things work out better if there is a price cut, as more people buy the product. Getting 20% margin on $1mil is better than a 40% margin on $200,000 revenue. But, I guess the dealers and "exporters" saw things differently.

Then again, if I were an unscupulous dealer, I would spread FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) to promote gouging.

Anybody try working with Cheam (UK) for a Euro version?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 1 year later...

Say it ain't so! Why just today when taking the wifes OB XT around the block the thought was the Bilstein BTS was worth every penny; 128,000 yen IIRC. Transforms the XT wagon.

I'd contact Bilstein USA years ago (2009) about replicating the JDM BTS 5056J kit... they could give a shit. That was then.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Price in yen went way up and exchange rate went to heck too. Now a $2500 - 3000 proposition by the time you add other needed parts & shipping & labor

I sure wish bilstein usa had the specs. Then I could get my hacked bilstein's re-valved to match

Does anyone have back-to-back comparison of bilstein hd to these bts's?

Seems as though the Euro Bilstein B6 (HD) shocks/struts have been fitted to the USA MY2004-2009 Outback chassis? Great. Before importing the JDM BTS kit, I cast around the idea of fitting Germany sourced Bilstein B6 Sport units with the Outbacks XTs OEM stock springs: never got any where with the idea. In the end, the JDM BTS kit with its progressive springs matched and coupled with essentially re-valved B6 Sport units won out.

What is needed to fit B6 Sport units to the USA Outback XT ...? IIRC the USA Outback, specifically the XT model, has the highest ride height; SUV/truck class in EPA terms I believe. F, K-ing Subaru for making the Outback with an amalgam of suspension & brake parts....

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

well, the re-valving is important. But I think the Legacy HD's (B6's), the only B6 sold in US, have shorter bodies and shafts than your BTS, or my hacked Bilsteins.

Easton (see above) has one of the best arrangements for an Outback that utilizes the HD's, and I believe his ride height is lower than yours. I can't remember if he also added spacers or not.

Price in yen went way up and exchange rate went to heck too. Now a $2500 - 3000 proposition by the time you add other needed parts & shipping & labor

I sure wish bilstein usa had the specs. Then I could get my hacked bilstein's re-valved to match

Does anyone have back-to-back comparison of bilstein hd to these bts's?

Bummer, glad I got mine before this happened.

Like Impatient posted it's mostly the uber crappy exchange rate than anything else. Importers had to bump the price up 50% just to cover the yen-dollar funk. Put an already high priced kit outta reach for a vast majority of the USDM market.

If I had to start from scratch I'd go the HD/spacer wagon route.

Archived