LegacyGT.com

What would you do with a 87 Cutlass Supreme

So my grandpa has been thinking about giving me his 87 cutlass. i may have to end up paying a couple hundred for it but idk for sure. its a 2 door, bench seat up front i think but its solid. hes got low miles and its in great condition. my thoughts r if he gives it to me i would make it a project, maybe paint black and throw in a v8. what would u guys do with it?

Sell it to me! LOL.

Do a 442 resto, those were sharp, get an ol' olds 455 and a turbo 350. 3.73 posi and you'll have a great cruiser.

This, except put a th400 in it. Make sure you also put a better cooling system in it too. You may want to run an aux trans cooler as well. Reason I know this is because I helped a guy put a 455 in a 87 Regal. He had built a th350 for it, but it only held up for a few months before it needed to rebuilt again. It also had a tendency to overheat if you weren't careful.

This, except put a th400 in it. Make sure you also put a better cooling system in it too. You may want to run an aux trans cooler as well. Reason I know this is because I helped a guy put a 455 in a 87 Regal. He had built a th350 for it, but it only held up for a few months before it needed to rebuilt again. It also had a tendency to overheat if you weren't careful.

Thats crazy because turbo350s can be built to hold 1000hp. But yes a trans cooler is a must and should be installed on any peformance car. There are so many 350-455 lates 80s culass aroudn here, i would put T-type engine in, or a more modern v8.

One way or another, you have a great platform for going fast. A small block fits like nothing. A big block is not a stretch. There are multitudes of bolt in rears like 12 bolts or the more common 9" Ford. Hell, you could build the entire car from a catalog. Drivetrain, interior, electrical, suspension, everything. If it were up to me and I had the $$$, I'd like to see a mild NOS small block car. Keep the compression in check (maybe 10.5:1 or less), a forged assembly can be had for next to nothing anymore, healthy cam but nothing outrageous. Set of AFR's, 125-150 plate kit, 3000RPM converter, Turbo 350, and a pair of 10.5 radials. 9" with 3.73's and a locker. Shoot for a low 11 without much effort.

- Restore to original condition, it will probably classify as a veteran in a few

It's sad to know a car as old as I am classifies for Veteran status :(

But back on topic, I would use it as a cruiser. That bench seat is perfect for road trips and nice long naps. Guess I'm not a blue blood racer like the rest of these gents.

One way or another, you have a great platform for going fast. A small block fits like nothing. A big block is not a stretch. There are multitudes of bolt in rears like 12 bolts or the more common 9" Ford. Hell, you could build the entire car from a catalog. Drivetrain, interior, electrical, suspension, everything. If it were up to me and I had the $$$, I'd like to see a mild NOS small block car. Keep the compression in check (maybe 10.5:1 or less), a forged assembly can be had for next to nothing anymore, healthy cam but nothing outrageous. Set of AFR's, 125-150 plate kit, 3000RPM converter, Turbo 350, and a pair of 10.5 radials. 9" with 3.73's and a locker. Shoot for a low 11 without much effort.

Sounds like a nice streetable setup. Best part is price of parts. I paid 1200 for my turbo 350 built from a speed shop to handle 700trq. You cant even by 1/3 of a subaru auto transmission for that price and they can only handle 300hp lol. I built my entire 355 for less than 4k.

But back on topic, I would use it as a cruiser. That bench seat is perfect for road trips and nice long naps. Guess I'm not a blue blood racer like the rest of these gents.

11 second cars are cruisers in the world of muscle. ;)

Sounds like a nice streetable setup. Best part is price of parts. I paid 1200 for my turbo 350 built from a speed shop to handle 700trq. You cant even by 1/3 of a subaru auto transmission for that price and they can only handle 300hp lol. I built my entire 355 for less than 4k.

What would make it even better would be adding a Gear Vendors under/over drive on the end. They can easily handle some big power, add little weight and add in some cruise comfort. 2500RPM or less at 70mph.

What would make it even better would be adding a Gear Vendors under/over drive on the end. They can easily handle some big power, add little weight and add in some cruise comfort. 2500RPM or less at 70mph.

Yeah but I never minded cruising in my 79 malibu with a turbo 350 and 3.73s. Sure it was no mpg master but it wasnt meant to be. Although i never took it anywhere more than 2 hours away from home.

But back on topic, I would use it as a cruiser. That bench seat is perfect for road head and nice long naps. Guess I'm not a blue blood racer like the rest of these gents.

Fixt. ;)

Go for the stout V8, drivetrain work and suspension like others have said. These cars have strong affordable aftermarket support and are super easy to work on.

Thats crazy because turbo350s can be built to hold 1000hp. But yes a trans cooler is a must and should be installed on any peformance car. There are so many 350-455 lates 80s culass aroudn here, i would put T-type engine in, or a more modern v8.

I'm far from a GM expert. I didn't help rebuild the trans either so you are probably right. He actually got lucky sort of. He bought the engine from a guy who said it was a 350. I helped him take it apart and measure it out. Our measurements came out to 455 specs so he got a deal. I helped with some of the rebuilding of the engine and that was about it. I know his car was originally a V6 car and he never upgraded the radiator which was one reason why it would heat up super quick.

I'm far from a GM expert. I didn't help rebuild the trans either so you are probably right. He actually got lucky sort of. He bought the engine from a guy who said it was a 350. I helped him take it apart and measure it out. Our measurements came out to 455 specs so he got a deal. I helped with some of the rebuilding of the engine and that was about it. I know his car was originally a V6 car and he never upgraded the radiator which was one reason why it would heat up super quick.

Yea, doubling the size of the engine usually needs some cooling upgrades lol. My 79 malibu was also a 6 cylinder when i got it. Old v8s are cool and can make some decent numbers but once i got into modern v8s i never looked back. They can make more power, be built to rev to higher rpms, more reliable, lighter and even built they usually get more than 8mpg like my malibu did. But for price old v8s cant be beat. With 5k you could build an engine that could make 500whp.

Archived