LegacyGT.com

First subie

So, yesterday I purchased my first (94) Subaru legacy, bought it from a friend who's wife used it as a daily driver. I knew ahead of time that there were some issues, but in all it's a really clean car. The three problems it currently has, #1-clicking relay behind glove box, I found it and replaced it, it's still clicking speradically, not sure what it purpose is but what I've noticed is that it clicks when the motor idle speeds up & down ( idles ok, then all the sudden it's high and then low, and a little rough, and the fans kick on), #2-his wife said once in awhile on the hill climb before there home, if she has to slow down for slow traffic, she said the car doesn't want to pick up speed (she said it kinda sputters), #3-about 5 months ago we changed out the front cv axles, and at that time the rear end was making noise, so we talked to a local Subaru mechanic and he said it was probably the differential as opposed to being the rear cv's or wheel bearings, so we replaced the diff, (the old one had good looking oil, and the magnetic plug had hardly any metal on it). Come to find out it was the wheel bearing, so we replaced both of them in the rear, now it is making a noise back there again, kinda sounds like a clothes washer spinning out of balance, and most the time it when there's a load on it, (not coasting). We are both fairly mechanically incline, fords and chevy's, were just starting to get burned out, need help, advice or suggestions?

Give it a tune up. Including the fuel filter. Sounds like the relay clicking could be an A/C relay. When you turn your A/C on the cooling fan turns on. That would also give you a small powers loss. The wheel bearings could have went bad again if you just tightened them without a torque wrench. The most common cause for a wheel bearing to go bad (especially new ones) is because they were not tightened to the correct torque spec. To tight is just as bad as not tight enough.

a/c or vent relay definitely, try and get that checked out. I'm almost positive it's one of those; I had a buddy who had the same exact problem when he switched from recirc. to outside vent.

As far as the rear problem, get the rear of the car up on jacks, put a stop in front/behind the front tires, and throw her in neutral with the parking brake off. Gently rotate the rear tires, and see if you can't pinpoint the problem by listening/seeing. I had a bad front driver cv, and when I put it up on jacks and rotated the tire, I saw the cv boot popping back and forth and hearing a click/grind. Obviously you're talking about a different sound here, but we'll see what happens. Good luck.

Thank you for the input, we have given it a tune up a couple of times, and changed the fuel filter, it was on a regular maintenance schedule, my friend stayed on top of it, because he didn't want to buy her a new car which is what she has now and how I ended up with the legacy, and the relay I changed out was clicking, just don't know what it's for. When we did the wheel bearings, we did use a torque wrench, not sure if they knew the correct torque specs

Have you tried to drive the car After removing the relay? Or at least start the car and turn things on and off to see what the relay is for. There is probably a short somewhere if its turning on when its not supposed to. As for the running rough problem, that could be many things. Try to clean the intake out with some seafoam. Maybe pull the egr valve off and clean the carbon build up out. It could be sticking open. That will cause it to run rough.

I have a couple questions, I just realized don't have the owners manual, all I know is it's a maroon, 4dr, has options, 5-speed, I think it's a 2.5. So in your forum's page I don't know if it's a 1st gen. Or 2nd gen. and don't know what the two letter codes stand for. Also something is not going good on this site for me, when I change pages, sometimes it shuts down and tells me it's unable to retrieve the cellular data or it says the browser couldn't open the page,and also how do I login and logout? Some how in the upper corner it knows the last time I wad logged in but yesterday I joined and logged in, wrote a question for the forum and upon submitting, was told I wasn't logged in, I had to log in 3 more times all in the same visit and never logged out? What's going on?

Archived