LegacyGT.com

Thinking of getting 07 LGT.

I currently drive a 2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser and I love it but i need to get better gas mileage than 12 mpg when im driving because I will be lots of driving with my new job. So I have been looking at all kinds of cars and today I fell in love with a blue Legacy gt in Fargo ND. I am a little worried though because it has lots of tuning done to it but it seems to be in great shape.

Here is a list of all the upgrades:

Blouch 20g turbo with external 38mm tail wastegate

Front mount intercooler

ported and polished factory header

750cc deatschwerks injectors

custom made carbon fiber turbo inlet? not sure what this means

K&N typhoon cai

ACT street performance clutch with lightweight flywheel

Invidia uppipe

Cobb turbo back exhaust

Cobb AP

XRacing blow off valve (recirculating)

Cobb Short throw shifter

Cobb lowering springs

ENKI RPM2 wheels

So this has everything i would ever do to the car except it has a bigger turbo than i would put in it and that worries me a little. I know the owner of the dealership I would be buying this car from and he wouldnt let me buy a car that wasnt in great shape. How reliable would this car be? Aproximately what kind of hp would this car be putting out and would it be safe on the stock tranny? Also since this car has lots of stuff done to it Im thinking the old owner has been on some forums with questions, so if anyone knows this car im talking about please let me know. thanks

I guess the most important thing is the tuning they had done. I am no expert, but that is not a "ghetto" car, it looks like they spent a lot of money on it to enhance the performance, so I would think they would have taken good care of it. I know I would have.

personally idk if id purchase a car like that without knowing who did all that work, where it was done and stuff like that. Chances are the car was driven pretty hard, no one I know puts that much money into a car and doesnt push it. Based on the list of parts the prev owner had a good understanding of mods and support mods etc. Get it looked at and make sure it was maintained. Reliability and performance are hard to pair together like cheap and good.

personally idk if id purchase a car like that without knowing who did all that work, where it was done and stuff like that. Chances are the car was driven pretty hard, no one I know puts that much money into a car and doesnt push it. Based on the list of parts the prev owner had a good understanding of mods and support mods etc. Get it looked at and make sure it was maintained. Reliability and performance are hard to pair together like cheap and good.

Yea i forgot to ask who did the tuning on the car. i still have lots of questions on the car for when i go back tomorrow. they were closing so i didnt have a whole lot of time to ask lots of questions. The car has 28000 miles on it and I know the car would have been driven hard but how much longer can i expect the car to keep running? Im not sure exactly how much psi the engine is running at but with that turbo its capable of some serious hp and pressure so would this car be reliable as a dd? I am not really new to the tuner world but somewhat new to the turbo world so sorry for my ignorance.

How do you get 12mpg on an FJ?

I get 18-20 on my Tacoma. I also belong to a Tacoma forum (my wife drives the Subaru). I don't think I have ever seen anyone get mileage that low...

If you are getting 12mpg on an FJ, chances are, your driving habits will not allow you to get much better mileage on a LGT.

How do you get 12mpg on an FJ?

I get 18-20 on my Tacoma. I also belong to a Tacoma forum (my wife drives the Subaru). I don't think I have ever seen anyone get mileage that low...

If you are getting 12mpg on an FJ, chances are, your driving habits will not allow you to get much better mileage on a LGT.

First I drive the 6 speed manual which is full time four wheel drive so that really hurts mileage. next I have a cai on it that really hurt gas mileage which i was suprised by that and it has a 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires on it so I see 12 mpg in town and maybe 14 on the highway.

Second i dont care about my city mileage because i dont do much city driving so as long as i can get above 20 on the highway i will be happy.

The gas mileage on these cars can go up with mods (providing you stay light on the foot). Like others have said I might have trepidation about a nodded car I don know the history on. On the other hand, if it was done properly, there is no reason a car with that mod list won't run for a while and be reliable. There are a number of members on this site with similar mod levels that daily drive them without.

I would def find out who did the tuning on the car and look I to their reputation for tuning subarus. Could also call said shop and inquire with them about the specific car. Any good shop should keep records/dyno numbers and backups of tunes they created. If you can't get tuning info on the car and do end up buying it it would be with the extra few bucks to take it to a good tuner and have it looked at. Could even request they let you have it inspected by a 3rd party before you purchase. I used to sell cars and had that happen once or twice on used cars, and they weren't even modified...

Finally, I will say that mod list seems to have all respectable and quality choices for parts and that is pretty low miles. May I ask what they are asking for it?

One thing to remember is nodded cars aren't worth more on the market than stock cars. While the parts are worth more the inherent risk of the mods counteracts that increased value...

The gas mileage on these cars can go up with mods (providing you stay light on the foot). Like others have said I might have trepidation about a nodded car I don know the history on. On the other hand, if it was done properly, there is no reason a car with that mod list won't run for a while and be reliable. There are a number of members on this site with similar mod levels that daily drive them without.

I would def find out who did the tuning on the car and look I to their reputation for tuning subarus. Could also call said shop and inquire with them about the specific car. Any good shop should keep records/dyno numbers and backups of tunes they created. If you can't get tuning info on the car and do end up buying it it would be with the extra few bucks to take it to a good tuner and have it looked at. Could even request they let you have it inspected by a 3rd party before you purchase. I used to sell cars and had that happen once or twice on used cars, and they weren't even modified...

Finally, I will say that mod list seems to have all respectable and quality choices for parts and that is pretty low miles. May I ask what they are asking for it?

One thing to remember is nodded cars aren't worth more on the market than stock cars. While the parts are worth more the inherent risk of the mods counteracts that increased value...

Yea i am going to make sure that it was tuned somewhere close by and a good shop and they are asking 22k for it. That price will come down a lot before i consider it but all in all it seems good. I am a little worried because I know evos are known to backfire but i havent heard about too many subarus back firing and like I said earlier I dont know a whole lot about turbos but when shifting or letting off it didnt make the pshht sound it did more of a whewwhewwhew sound, is that normal?

Hey Notilloc!

Crazy, I was just reading posts and saw your OP, I'm in Fargo, ND myself. I bought my dark bronze metallic 2008 2.5i Limited from Muscatell back in fall 2007. I have homelink, Astrostart, VDC, OEM sub, deleted spoiler. It's been a great car and I have had Muscatell do most of the service (but I did the 30K myself).

Is the car you are talking about located at Muscatell? Don't worry I won't buy it... I'm looking for a 328 or 335xi myself :-)

Andy

Getting an LGT to save $$$ on mileage may not be the best "excuse" to get this car... spending $10-15K on a car to get ~5-10mpg more will take forever to see any real cost savings. You wanna get a beater and get 35-40mpg... get a crx or something.

I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler and i get 17-18mpg mixed driving (bone stock)... im looking for a spec B just for the fun/comfort factor involved... kinda sucks driving a wrangler for 60 miles each day then working in the restaurant bizz... I could use a quiet drive to and from work lol

Yea i am going to make sure that it was tuned somewhere close by and a good shop and they are asking 22k for it. That price will come down a lot before i consider it but all in all it seems good. I am a little worried because I know evos are known to backfire but i havent heard about too many subarus back firing and like I said earlier I dont know a whole lot about turbos but when shifting or letting off it didnt make the pshht sound it did more of a whewwhewwhew sound, is that normal?

Sounds like compressor surge to me. Anybody else?

Sounds like compressor surge to me. Anybody else?

or is it because the wastegate is hooked up to the down pipe? or is it because its a recirculating bpv? Would that make a difference? Im learning slowly but turbos add a lot of new info for me so not sure on quite a few things. Thanks for a response to this, I was really hoping someone would chime in.

Archived