LegacyGT.com

oil pan drain plug gasket/washer

Hi All,

Just wondering if theres any gasket/washer to use to replace the crush washer - something that doesnt require to be changed everytime i change my oil. Any of you use something more permanent for the oil pan drain bolt gasket/washer? If so, what size and what material to use? I only see people talking about copper washers, how about rubber or steel?

Thanks!

They are all of 75 cents. What's the big deal? Let's not be penny wise and pound foolish.

You can get away with one reuse, but no more.

I pray that your other purchases are not guided by the same philosophy.

O.

why would i pay 75 cents each oil change when i can pay 75 cents to a dollar once? This also saves me time from running around town just to get a 75 cent washer - closest dealer is pretty far (gas + $1 will not be worth it if i can fine a reusable washer) i just want to know if i can use rubber, aluminum, or steel instead of a copper washer..

i might consider the fumoto valve but i dont drive much and probably change oil once or twice a year..

I don't use a washer at all!

I'll bet you go "commando" too.

I have replaced my washer once in the 6+ years I've owned my car. I think this car is the first one I had to replace. I'm 56 y/o and have been doing my own oil changes since I started driving.

I went to the local auto parts store and bought a plug and washer for like $2.50

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Crush washers are designed to be used once. Just get a handful of them from the dealer, and don't forget where you put them.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Crush washers are designed to be used once. Just get a handful of them from the dealer, and don't forget where you put them.

Mine were in the ash tray before I had subs and the valve installed. That valve even w/o nipple was 95% better than the taco Tuesday splatter from the oem draining. No more pulling the plug and running for cover or oily drivers side tire/wheel.

yeah going to order mine tonight and even found a coupon for 10% off lol.. but i read somewhere that it leaves sludge due to the fumoto not able to drain all the oil out? thanks..

I'm guessing if you jack up the right front corner on the car high enough, you should get most of the oil out.

Any body ever put one of these valves in a oil pan on the bench and take a picture of how far it threads in ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm guessing if you jack up the right front corner on the car high enough, you should get most of the oil out.

Any body ever put one of these valves in a oil pan on the bench and take a picture of how far it threads in ?

on curiosity just how much old oil comes out when pulling drain plug? Then the next question is how long do you leave the plug off/valve open? I usually open the valve, ensure the catch pan plug is not closed, and walk away. Same for filter. I'm using ramps for my oil changes.

Since we are on the topic of oil changes... and using ramps came up... I always had the assumption that ramps would incline your engine back, so you wouldn't fully drain your oil. Seems logical to me, but maybe not depending on where the plug is on the pan.... any thoughts?

Yes, they are designed to be used once, but if you don't replace it every time, your engine's not going to explode. It's an engine oil drain plug gasket, not a high pressure brakeline washer...

And for you guys with the Fumoto drain valve, how low does it hang down? My car's lowered and the last thing I want is to snap off the brass valve and instantly ruin my new engine.

Since we are on the topic of oil changes... and using ramps came up... I always had the assumption that ramps would incline your engine back, so you wouldn't fully drain your oil. Seems logical to me, but maybe not depending on where the plug is on the pan.... any thoughts?

I always jack the car up on the opposite side of the drain plug, so that way I am assured all/ most of the oil leaves the pan.

Archived