LegacyGT.com

(Latest)BMW Recall - Turbo models

I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong with the cars, but ABC blew that waaaaayyyyy out of proportion.

Ok, yeah, you can suddenly lose power and the check engine light comes on. So? It's not like BMW is refusing to fix the cars that break. It's also not a huge safety issue.

Well, I got T-boned because I was trying to make an orange light but my car lost power and the light turned red 100 feet in front of me and the gong noise distracted me so I coasted through instead of stopping.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong with the cars, but ABC blew that waaaaayyyyy out of proportion.

Ok, yeah, you can suddenly lose power and the check engine light comes on. So? It's not like BMW is refusing to fix the cars that break. It's also not a huge safety issue.

Well, I got T-boned because I was trying to make an orange light but my car lost power and the light turned red 100 feet in front of me and the gong noise distracted me so I coasted through instead of stopping.

I heard there is a fuel leak that is associated with this problem. If it's internal to the pump that's one thing. If it has an external fuel leak as well, that IS a huge safety problem.

Are the people blowing it way out of proportion.........yes they are.

If there was an external leak, there would be a recall

Isn't the thread title "Latest BMW recall?"

Otherwise it is just a campaign. Just guessing what is happening is that the high side fuel pressure regulator is bleeding off pressure back into the low side causing a high side fuel pressure to low condition. It would explain the lack of power since the engine isn't getting enough fuel and would possibly cause a misfire.

This has been a known problem for some time.

BMW has already offered to extend the warranty on the HPFP to 10 years or 120K miles before this negative press hit.

There have been instances where the HPFP failing has resulted in collisions. Mainly rear-end collisions at freeway speeds.

Despite this problem, the number of failed N54 motors running 400+ whp on completely stock internals and turbos is so miniscule compared to the number of bone-stock failed 2.5 turbo Subaru motors, let alone stage II grenaded motors. I know which motor I'd rather have under my hood.

There have been instances where the HPFP failing has resulted in collisions. Mainly rear-end collisions at freeway speeds.

So when the assclown trys to merge with 65mph traffic using only 200ft of road and his engine suddenly loses power when he cuts in front of someone, it's the cars fault the accident occurred?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Does anyone else think the OP's screen name is eerily close to the infamous Vimy?

I keep thinking he's back!

That's all I got nothing else. Other than IBPenguindefendingBMWsuperiority. If he hasn't yet already.;)

So when the assclown trys to merge with 65mph traffic using only 200ft of road and his engine suddenly loses power when he cuts in front of someone, it's the cars fault the accident occurred?

Yes it's actually the other driver's fault for not knowning that any BMW driver owns what ever road they are on always. That's driver's ed stuff. :rolleyes:

I've heard this is typical of BMW NA to deny that there are problems and refuses to fix them. I was in the market for a 330i or a E46 M3 at one point and read through their forums about problems with the VANOS or something. I understand every car has an achilles heel, but after years and years of complaints, you would think they would try to make there customers happy. I mean this recall only happened because ABC called them out on it. I doubt they would have done this on their own if it hadn't been for ABC and the bad publicity they gave BMW.

And clearly SOA, as a contrasting company, has always been forthcoming and accepting of any and all known issues presented.

And I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Toyota's reputation either... :)

Its not JUST SOA, BMW, Toyota, etc... Its all of them. And each and every one of them gets blown out of proportion. Sometimes its necessary, sometimes its not, just the nature of the beast.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually older. The recall was on the prior twin turbo model. They have fixed it with the new twin scroll turbo. biz77 already pointed out what BMW is doing to fix it.

I love when people try and make big issues out of the European luxury companies' issues. They're not the only people who have problems.

Look at our ringland failures. Our 2.5T failures. The Subaru stop sale. Subaru 2.5Ts spinning rods. etc

No company makes a perfect product. Not SOA, not Toyota, not BMW, nobody.

It's as current as it says it is. No one is saying that other vehicles don't have their problems. This is saying that BMW is just another vehicle - nothing supreme - and obviously failed in keeping up with the STi!

This is actually older. The recall was on the prior twin turbo model. They have fixed it with the new twin scroll turbo. biz77 already pointed out what BMW is doing to fix it.

I love when people try and make big issues out of the European luxury companies' issues. They're not the only people who have problems.

Look at our ringland failures. Our 2.5T failures. The Subaru stop sale. Subaru 2.5Ts spinning rods. etc

No company makes a perfect product. Not SOA, not Toyota, not BMW, nobody.

Archived