LegacyGT.com

Muffler related questions

I'm sorry if this question has been answered somewhere already, but I cant seem to find the answer so here it goes..

Ive got an 06 LGT with cobb catted DP and a reflashed ECU (AP stage 2). I want to install a cat-back exhaust, and I have a local shop that I plan to have custom build me the pipe from the cat to the mufflers (3" to 2.5" y pipe). One of my main concerns though, is noise. I would prefer to keep things on the quieter side, and thus picking out the best mufflers is important to me. I assume that the stock mufflers are going to be MUCH more restrictive to exhaust flow than most aftermarket cans, but my question is HOW much more restrictive?

Are the factory cans breathable enough, that they could still be worthwhile to use? Or if I were to use my stock mufflers to maintain the low key look/sound that I desire, would it essentially render the upgraded exhaust piping redundant?

Also, I have been looking around for a decent sent of aftermarket mufflers, and the only ones I have found seem rather expensive. If it is possible to purchase a full CBE for $5-600, then why is it that the mufflers I have been finding are around the same price? If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it..

thanks in advance..

-Toad

Supposedly the stock cat-back really does not hold back a lot of power. Me personally I went with a different cat back just because I love the subaru sound and wanted a louder exhaust note. Another thing if you want to maintain a low key look is black out the aftermarket system so it does not look like there are bigger tips/mufflers.

Thanks for the input! I came across some universal megan racing mufflers that I like the look and sound of..

However, I have run into another issue that is giving me pause.. It was suggested to me that the bends in the custom piping from a muffler shop are created by crunching the metal, which is inferior to the smooth bends of an aftermarket CBE.. It would seem that these less smooth bends would inhibit airflow.. I cant imagine it would make a huge difference in a 3" pipe, but I suppose anything is possible..

Any thoughts on this? Would the type of bends in some custom muffler shop piping be vastly inferior to the bends in an after market CBE in terms of airflow?

Mandrel bending is better in my opinion cause it will affect airflow plus I've even heard that pressure bends can affect the exhaust note as well. Some say it will show up on a dyno. Idk how much power loss there would be if any but I would still prefer mandrel over pressure bending.

Check out the Invidia quad tip? They're not overly expensive or loud

Actually the Invidia is a loud. My brother and I both have STP and our friend has magnaflow. I've installed 2 quad tips on two different member's cars, they're a lot louder than the SPT but not even close to what your average WRX or STI sounds like.

The stock mufflers are ABSOLUTELY NOT restrictive at any kind of streetable power level, there is no need to replace them unless you are looking for a different sound.

But what about, what looks like the 2 inch pipe going into the mufflers? Would that be able to be modified to be a tad bigger?

I love the stock mufflers, I just wish they had a tad more sound and a little bit more flow. But not the offending sounds that come out of most aftermarket CBE systems. Would a resonator delete be a better option?

I searched and asked a local tuner. The general consensus is that you leave about 5-10 WHP on the table if you use stock cans. I wanted my exhaust to be near stock sound. I didn't think 10 WHP was worth the money or noise (unless I can find some prodrive cans cheap :)).

Archived