LegacyGT.com

09 6MT Tranny Fluid

Good call on the brake fluid. 3/30k it should be flushed.

Here is what we suggest/do on our 30k services:

http://azpinstalls.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=79

-mike

looks good thanks. I am however going to wait until 60k to do the coolant. Do you think I could do a drain and fill on the brake fluid or is a flush needed?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

A flush is a drain and fill on the brakes. There is no such thing as a drain and fill on the brakes unless you mean sucking out the resivoir stuff and putting new fluid in. If so, that doesn't accomplish anything because the fluid that's in the lines back to the calipers is the important fluid which is likely to overheat and cause a brake failure v. the fluid in the reserve.

Any particular reason why you are waiting to do the drain/fill on the coolant (other than it's cold as anything out now?)

-mike

A flush is a drain and fill on the brakes. There is no such thing as a drain and fill on the brakes unless you mean sucking out the resivoir stuff and putting new fluid in. If so, that doesn't accomplish anything because the fluid that's in the lines back to the calipers is the important fluid which is likely to overheat and cause a brake failure v. the fluid in the reserve.

Any particular reason why you are waiting to do the drain/fill on the coolant (other than it's cold as anything out now?)

-mike

I am not doing the brake fluid change myself the dealer is and I honestly dont know how they change it, lol.

I know you reccomend the coolant at 30k but my 04 WRX I did it at 60k without any issues. If there a big diff between the 2 liter and the 2.5? Is the coolant really need changing at 30k?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Make sure that the dealer does a flush, watch to make sure they actually do the brake flush where the fluid comes out through the bleeders, a lot of dealers will suck some out of the tank and re-fill, then the custy THINKS that it's been flushed/bled but it actually wasn't at all.

30k Coolant Drain/Fill is as per the Subaru manuals. 2.0/2.5 should all be drained/filled every 30k, except for the 08+ Imprezas and the 10+ Legacies which use the new blue-coolant that is good for 105k miles.

You can get away without doing it, but you may have premature failure of the coolant system if you don't.

-mike

good to know on the coolant, i thought it was inspect at 30, and replace at 60. But i just checked, and youre right - 30 for the replacment. If its still rated for temperature, shouldnt it be good to go though?

also Mike, do you recommend a high performance (DOT 4) brake fluid, like motul on the stock brake systems? my spec b braking system is essentially just LGT brakes... nothing that fancy i guess. I mean, the price difference is minimal, but im not sure if there is ANY benefit to going with a motul, etc on my setup.

So jay - i would R&R the coolant when it goes in too.

We use the ATE Superblue on all our customers cars, even 2.5i cars that little old ladies drive. It's just a higher quality fluid that will withstand more heat. It also will help to start with a really good fluid in the event there is breakdown due to moisture that gets in the system, you get that extra margin of error for very little entry cost.

-mike

Mike,

In speaking with my guy at a local dealer he normally sucks the brake fluid out of the resivour and fills it with new fluid. I told him I didnt want that he said he can bleed the fluid from the bleeders in the calipers (while the wheels are off the car obviously) he refill the new brake fluid (I got the Motul RFB600). He also said the coolant is a drain and fill along with the tranny and rear diff fluids. Is this the correct/proper way to do this job? I want to make sure they do it right.

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Jay,

The drain/fill of the coolant and diffy and trans is what we do as well. It's a good method and hasn't let us down.

On the brake fluid, he would need to extract the fluid in the resevour AND bleed them until the new fluid came out of each wheel and that will get all the brake fluid out.

Too bad you are so far away we could do the whole she-bang for you! :(

-mike

Jay,

The drain/fill of the coolant and diffy and trans is what we do as well. It's a good method and hasn't let us down.

On the brake fluid, he would need to extract the fluid in the resevour AND bleed them until the new fluid came out of each wheel and that will get all the brake fluid out.

Too bad you are so far away we could do the whole she-bang for you! :(

-mike

I only purchased one quart of Motul for the brake fluid that I was told would be enough. Yes that is what they are going to do the same things you guys do. I know it sucks your far away but this dealer is close and the guy is only charging me $150 (I supply all parts/fluids except coolant, in $150 price) for oil change, tranny, rear diff, brake and coolant.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

That's actually an amazing price. At dealer rates thats only about 1.5hrs of labor time so I would definitely take advantage of that. 1 Quart should do you on the brake fluid.

-mike

Its a local dealer, I have helped out the service manager in the past so i guess he is taking very good care of me. ;)

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Archived