LegacyGT.com

09 6MT Tranny Fluid

Hello...

Looking for some opinions on tranny fluid. Looking to replace the fluid in my 09 spec.b soon. 16500 on it now, and the sti tranny is anything but quiet (especially with kartboy bushings in it). I have heard that a better fluid may quiet things down, and can never really hurt.

So, is the current consensus to go with the subie S stuff?

Also, is there a pictorial anywhere? I saw one for the 5MT on here for the 05ish model year. Is it roughly the same?

Thanks in advance.

anyone else have an opinion here? read some older posts... between the rediline, amsoil and extra s, seems i cant go wrong. looking for something to protect and do its job, as well as quiet the 6mt a bit.

thanks!

i did the fluid change about 3 months ago on my spec. I used Lubro moly; changed the transmission, and rear diff. I have the sti short throw, but still rocking the oem busings. I dont have a noisy transmission. I read reviews on this gear oil at bobistheoilguy and it has some good ratings. i, getting better mpg's now, and the shifter is buttery smooth even when its cool out.

http://www.europaparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/cd6085ca2ccd08373d4b6de971808fb4/l/u/lubro-moly-75w-90-gear-oil.jpg

I love ExtraS. Use it in all the cars we service.

Once again we agree.

Actually we use either the Extra S or Amsoil 80w90.

From our experience, we have found that the Extra S is especially good in the 02-04 WRX 5MTs in quieting down the grinding. On the 6MTs and newer 5MTs the Amsoil is as smooth or smoother than the Extra S.

-mike

• 1 month later...

just to report back, had the dealer put in Extra S at 17k miles... at first, i didnt notice any real change in the noise level of the gearbox, but on the second day - WOW. It got much quieter. Still has some chattering noise in second and third (dealer confirmed it was normal btw), but it certainly quieted it down.

Had to get the oil via Fred Beans, as my dealer didnt carry extra s, and wouldnt order it unless i bought 5 gallons. LOL

Yeah, very pleased... nice to have some of that chatter noise gone!!

thinking about going redline 75w90ns in the rear diff (R180) when time comes. I have also heard good things about that for the diff... thoughts?

Jason,

Wish you told me you were ordering from Fred Beans I would have ordered some with you. How many quarts did you order BTW? I am thinking about seeing if the dealer I get my stuff from can get me the extra S for the Tranny to quiet things down and use regular 75w-90 in the rear diff.

I am curious to see what people use in the rear diff in our cars also.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

yeah, we could have combined s&h...

fred beans was all about the redline 75w90ns. i have heard good things about it as well.

I gave the dealer 5 liters, as the car requires 4.1 i believe. and they didnt open the fifth.

the rear diff is 1.1 liter i believe. or like 1.3 quarts. or vise versa.

Well there is nothing wrong with running synthetic in the rear diffy. In fact it is encouraged. I am not sure Extra S is synthetic though, it's just a special formula that Subaru came up with.

-mike

wow i thought it was synthetic, oh well just as long as it works good im all for it. I am also gonna get motul brake fluid and do that at the same time. I got the car at 32k miles its now got 42k miles and all the previous owner did was plugs and engine oil.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Archived