LegacyGT.com

Calling all audiofiles

Ok $1150 in upgrades this weekend.

ALpine M500 Amp for subs(switched Rockford with factory amp)

Hertz165 component(italian made) with independant crossover and tweet.

Hertz 165 Reference speakers rear.

Dyna mat all 4 doors.

Existiing Recent

Alpine CDA- 9887 with sirrius sat/ipod/imprint sound software.

Monster cables gold plated.

Rockford Fosgate 200wt amp

Rockford Fosgate 10" subs in box.

The new system is night and day compared to the factory Harmon Kardon OEM. I actually ordered the Infinity Kappa by Harmon but kicked back after I heard the difference in engineering. So I am on a quest for an amazing sub. I am looking at Image Dynamics, Ascention or RE. ANy other good ideas?

(if you ever get a change to upgrade, I would highly advocate)

I really would love to get a custom set of subs built into the side cavities of the trunk.

xx

Pics factory amp, Alpine compared to factory box, factory Harmons(I was not impressed by the Harmon badge after looking at the quality)

2010-10-25_21_21_37.thumb.jpg.e55a8e59664b85f5ce37b2389e535c0a.jpg

2010-10-25_21_22_55.thumb.jpg.2efce625e698ac0e3888b5166ab2fa72.jpg

2010-10-25_21_23_50.thumb.jpg.f8a524cf6b765c3ed16cad33ccc70f18.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
M500 is the amp I had before I upgraded to a Kenwood eXcelon XR-1S. Worked well. My question is what are you using to power the components. You need to drop some cash on a good 4 channel.

Im using a cheap Rockford Fozgate 200wt amp in place of the factory. When I replace the subs Ill sell all nix all the rockford and trade my Alpine for a stereo 500watt for the difference and find something stronger for the new subs.

Have you ever heard the older round Kicker Solobaric subs? Simply amazing for SQ. They hit tight and hard. Put them in a small sealed enclosure and they are perfect, never heard anything as good from other subs. Sure they don't move as much air as many other subs on the market, but then again you don't need to move a ton of air for it to sound good.

I've run a pair of 10" 10sd, the last year Kicker made the round solobaric subs right before they sold out and started building all their amps and speakers overseas. The old zebra style amps were made in the USA as were the round solobaric subs. I still have a ZR360 and a ZR240 amp with my 2 10"s. I've ran them in several cars over the years, most recently in my LHS which was really too large of a car for their output, but in the midsize and compact cars I had before were amazing. I paired them with a CDT component set up front driven by the 240 amp with an Eclipse deck and they sounded great.

I just sold my LHS, actually am meeting the buyer this morning at the DMV to finalize everything and then over the weekend will probably be purchasing the 06 Legacy 2.5i SE I looked at last weekend. I'll have to maybe trade my CDT midbass drivers in for a slim design to fit in the slimer Legacy doors and I haven't decided exactly what I want to do, but I don't want to take up a lot of trunk space so I'm seriously considering either selling my 2 10"s and getting a single 12" or just installing components front and rear and not having a sub.

I highly recommend round solobaric subs. You'll be hard pressed to find un-abused ones used (unless I decide to definitely sell mine) or you can contact Credence Speakers. I believe they were the original manufacture and still produce the round subs under their brand.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

i am i huge fan if image dynamics. if you don't wanna use a lot of power i would say go with the IDQ either a pair of 10's or 12's depending on preference. if power is no problem the ID Max is a great sub. i am currently running a single ID Max 10 D2 and it hits hard and sounds tight. good for rock music as well as hip hop or club style. i use a zapco studio 500 to power the sub, puts about 1200 watts to the sub. the new IDQ subs are pretty damn good though.

from my experience i will never choose anything other than memphis audio. Had it back in the day and it rocked, literally. rockford is over rated and over priced along with JL and other "big name" manufacturers. if your looking for loud and clear, i would recommend nothing else. i also had MA audio subs and amp and hated every day i owned it.

as far as head units i would never buy a pioneer again. ive owned 3 in the past and every one broke within 2 years

I was deff looking at the image Dynamics IDq subs, they look classy. Also debating on MTX subs as well. I love the doors now that they are dynamatted out, huge difference as now when they shut its just solid.

I heard also the Zapco is a great amp since they have been around since the begining of time.

*mainstream bands are just retarded. They are sort of like the Mustangs, Cobalts or Camaro's of american engineering. Enough said about that.

You took Infinity off your list because the stock Harmons are only adequate? All brand-name products are still only mediocre if they come OEM in a car. It's nothing like their aftermarket lineup. They're forced to hit a price point by the car manufacturer and the nameplate is just marketing more than substance.

You think the JBL speakers in a Ford have anything in common with their aftermarket setups? No way! The stock speaker in a Taurus shares nothing with their GTi components, I can promise that. The Infinity speakers in my Dodge Ram are good for stock but share nothing but the badge with their in-store counterparts.

As far as a woofer goes theres tons of great ones. Fi is very solid and awsome customer support. I had one of my fi BTL 18s stollen off my door step and they sent me a new woofer free of charge. DC audio is also an awsome choice. I recently purchased a TC Sounds LMS-R 12 and it sounds amazing. Ive also have RE and they are top notch I had the SX series and they got loud and had tons of spl. So really it comes down to a price vs what ever you are really looking for. SQ vs SPL and what not

I've heard good things about the TOTL Dayton fro

Parts Express too.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I didnt take Infinity off my list period, they are amazing for sure. But it did get me to do more research and Decided to get the Hertz. I was very much sold on the engineering quality and reviews. I've had Infinity before in a prior vehicle but am always seeking the next best thing.

Fi-hmmm, Ill have to look into it. I deff want something nice and tigtht, but not super ghetto sound but could be if needed. lol.

Parts express??

The only problem(s) I am having with the Alpine 9887 is that it potentially does all these great things but only so much functionality at once.

For instance its either HD Radio or Sirrius sat.

ALso blue tooth need another adapater requring yet another module (no idea where to plug in as I am out of spaces.

Ipod cable extra. Custom installed into the old aux plug in arm rest.

Kiss that old aux cord goodbye. No space to run aux outs(this space again used by sat radio). May have wanted to run a laptop thru on a roadtrip for sound(movies).

Unable to figure out how to manage bass and treble since manual and actual are conflicting even with adjust diff mx settings.

If you like to run your interior guage lights daytime as I do; the dimmer will actually make the screen unreadable with the sunroof open. No toggle to adjust per preference.

Miss the 9855 motorized multi adjustment angles and face.

NOte: The remotes reception is finicky as you have to point directly at the screen..The 9855 pretty much I could be out of the car at any angle behind the deck and control.

Does not have the slidetouch either.

FYI IMPRINT SOund )( is additional software ($250.00) which is not integrated into hard drive. You will find this out from the dealer.

Overall this unit is a massive upgrade from the factory box. In relation to the Alpine 9855 it is really just a seat change. The combo of all fixed and characteristics of the old unit with Pandora would be the girl that you marry.

(Observed today in Import Tuner OCtober issue that 3 out of 4 of the featured rides all had Alpine decks. That's a statement!)

The FI Q12 I had sounded amazing but could get loud when I wanted it to. I only had 600w rms going to it, it can handle well over 1000w. I did have it in a T-line though, it started in a sealed enclosure but I wanted more from it.......... it delivered.... I think I'll try a vented enclosure this time. It'll be a winter project.

I love my Spec.B, it was a bit blah at first. Recently went stage 2 and am a lot more satisfied.

Agreed.... I would like to maintain some trunk space but I tend to go to extremes. My '07 Civic SI had the T-line in it. That trunk was 85% enclosure. It sounded sweet though.

The spec B is super sexy and makes a massive statement sort of like an M3 or M5. Both respectable cars however I think that the entuhsiats level is equal on the Legacy level. I would enclose that b*** if i were you and had the opp. I hear Ill be without my car for up to 2 weeks for an enclosure.

Halloween, this was weird without a dime on my arm this year but super bomb as I raced a brunette at midnight in a leg Gt at midnight for half an hour. NICCEEE.

Archived