LegacyGT.com

Brake bleeding order

Hi,

My girlfriend owns a 1993 Legacy. I am trying to determine what the brake bleed order is. I know some cars don't use the common 'furthest first' method because of proportioning or diagonal valves.

Can anyone tell me what the proper bleed order is from a service manual?

Thanks in advance!

For non-ABS brake systems the order is...

Front Right

Rear Left

Front Left

Rear Right

I myself am used to the traditional "Furthest First" method of brake bleeding since I am so used to working on older American pickup trucks.

I've had to bleed the brakes on the Legacy many, many times so far. I can tell you from experience that the above order is the only way to properly bleed the brakes. I've also realized that the E-Brake must not be engaged or the brakes will not be properly bled. I have no idea why, since the E-Brake on the Legacy is a separate drum brake built inside of the rear rotors and is cable operated, but for whatever reason the brakes never bleed right for me unless the E-Brake is disengaged. I have no explanation for it nor do I have evidence to back up my claim. All I can tell you is that the E-Brake must be disengaged while bleeding the brakes. It might have just been a coincidence, but everytime I've tried to bleed my brakes with the E-Brake engaged I get a squishy pedal and inconsistent response from the brake pedal until I repeat the process with the E-Brake down. I know most people with automatic cars don't use the E-Brake, but from all the manual cars I've owned I just sorta got into the habit of using the E-Brake. Plus the added sense of security and the reduced wear on the parking pawl is more than worth the extra 0.5 seconds it takes to engage and disengage the E-Brake when parking the car. Plus the E-Brake cable doesn't lock up nearly as often if its used regularly. I apply the E-Brake in every car, auto or manual, purely from habit.

Thanks,

That is just what I needed, and just in time!

I bled them and they are much better. I was just noticing the condition of the brake hoses. They aren't cracked or anything, but they are quite hard, and possibly brittle. Do you guys recommend replacing them? I don't want them to fail under hard braking.

You could. I only had one break and it only seemed to rust because of that stupid rubber grommet thing that Subaru uses to keep water out of the interior. The rear lines run under the rear seat and exit the car via a hole in the chassis. The hole is sealed with rubber, which traps water and rusts the lines. I replaced about a foot of line and used compression fittings to hold the repair in place.

I do have to give Subaru credit, however. The brake lines that run under the seat still have their factory finish on them. It was a good idea to put them there, but I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be to bend up new line and have it travel through the interior of the car. :lol:

Personally I just bleed them in the order that happens to be convenient.

When the spongy feeling disappears they are good. And car brakes are usually easy to bleed compared to motorcycle brakes who are really sensitive to that "last bubble" syndrome.

453747.png

Archived