LegacyGT.com

90 legacy no spark, no CEL.. lost

My 2.2 blew a head gasket, i replaced the gasket, timing belt, etc, put everything back together, double checked, turns over great, perfect compression, but wont start, i tested the spark with a tester, and it shows no spark on 1-4. No check engine light, i went back and checked fuses, all connections for the cam, crank sensors.

I can probably rule out the coil packs as its hard to believe both failed at the same time.. what do you guys suggest i should do next?

I also tried connecting the diagnostics connectors to see if i get any codes, and nothing...

Double and triple check the cam position sensor and crank position sensor. Replace if necessary. Without either sensor the car won't get spark.

It is highly unlikely that the coil pack died during this repair. Start with the cam and crank position sensors then work your way down the list of other vital sensors and wires. If all else fails then replace the coilpack with a junkyard unit.

It usually does set off a check engine light but stranger things have happened. From my personal experience (I can't speak for everyone) this car seems reluctant to throw CEL codes. On OBDII cars you can throw a code for not tightening your gas cap enough, but my first gen Legacy has never had a single code that stuck.

Have you made any progress with the issue?

Archived