LegacyGT.com

FLYWHEEL is it dual mass or not?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, the only real question is JDM = single or dual mass? All our stateside Leggies came dual mass for 05/06 as far as I know.

Thats the question all right!

OP what the hell is that on your Avatar?

Thats a WRX STI prototype concept car. freekin awesome lookin!

I have an 05 JDM 2.0GT and yes they are dual mass. I am currently looking into replacing the stock setup with a WRX style solid mass flywheel and new HD clutch

Thanks mate :)

Can you PM me so we can keep in touch about this? Im keen to do this also but im keen to talk it through.

Dual mass are smoother and apparently more economical on fuel. The disadvantage is they give a more spongy pedal feel, can't handle power upgrades and expensive to repair/replace

AND they weigh a heap more, like around 8KG MORE. Which slows your car down when accelerating.

I'm changing out from dual mass to single mass next week (in my Leggy) . I have an idea of the differences since I have a WRX with single mass. I'll report the change on the Leggy.

That would be awesome mate! thanks... look forward to hearing about it.

PS I have a billet light weight earlier model of WRX flywheel clutch combo that I could try on mine but dont know if it would fit? can anyone shed some light of which year flywheel clutch would fit mine?

06 WRX Single mass FW and ACT HD clutch kit will work for you.

But, understand that the SMFW gives up much of the quiet smoothness (on engagement) and NVH (while driving/decelerating) that the DMFW mitigates.

I went the route of the WRX SMFW and ACT setup and I'm at Stage 2+ and 100K miles when I converted. Figure if the stock setup (which I liked over the SMFW setup) can hold for 100K miles, including towing, then, that's what's going back in.

You'll benefit from this thread

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have an ACT clutch/flywheel kit [WRX style] and while it may hold more torque it is nowhere near as smooth as the stock DM set-up. I plan to reinstall my stock DM set-up very soon.

Unless you have big hp/tq numbers or beat the shit out of your car do not go with the WRX style flywheel/clutch there is a reason why the factory didn't.

Good luck.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

The more i think about it, the more it makes sense. Bosco and Subietonic, you helped make up my mind. I'm returning to my original idea of replacing with stock clutch components. I really did not like my WRX's Chatter and always prefered the smoothness of the LGT clutch. Thanks guys

I have an ACT clutch/flywheel kit [WRX style] and while it may hold more torque it is nowhere near as smooth as the stock DM set-up. I plan to reinstall my stock DM set-up very soon.

Unless you have big hp/tq numbers or beat the shit out of your car do not go with the WRX style flywheel/clutch there is a reason why the factory didn't.

Good luck.

Bosco... is it that bad??? I've ran 4 different in my Honda back then worse was 4 puck sprung + ACT street light set up. can't think a WRX fw+ACT or Exedy stg1 clutch would be krazy bad...

Bosco... is it that bad??? I've ran 4 different in my Honda back then worse was 4 puck sprung + ACT street light set up. can't think a WRX fw+ACT or Exedy stg1 clutch would be krazy bad...

It's bad enough to notice that it's not a stock clutch meaning it's not as silky smooth as the stock DM.

My ACT/WRX clutch still has a tendency to chatter at times even after thousands of miles of use. The feel of the clutch when depressed at a stop is not as smooth as the DM this could be a throw out bearing issue but i doubt it.

I still have my stock DM and it's going back in soon. It's been my experience that any thing up to Stage 2 the stock DM will work fine. My car at one point had 324whp and a stronger clutch was needed but now the engine is back to stock and i'm not willing to continue with the trade-off.

Your results may vary.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

It's bad enough to notice that it's not a stock clutch meaning it's not as silky smooth as the stock DM.

My ACT/WRX clutch still has a tendency to chatter at times even after thousands of miles of use. The feel of the clutch when depressed at a stop is not as smooth as the DM this could be a throw out bearing issue but i doubt it.I still have my stock DM and it's going back in soon. It's been my experience that any thing up to Stage 2 the stock DM will work fine

For me I cant imagine a SMFW being that bad :confused: its surely not that bad on the WRX???

Anyway its more of an issue with performance for me as the DMFW is spongy, or as you call it "silky smooth" and WEIGHS nearly twice that of a light single mass.

can you confirm the weight of the DMFW?

06 WRX Single mass FW and ACT HD clutch kit will work for you.

But, understand that the SMFW gives up much of the quiet smoothness (on engagement) and NVH (while driving/decelerating) that the DMFW mitigates.

I went the route of the WRX SMFW and ACT setup and I'm at Stage 2+ and 100K miles when I converted. Figure if the stock setup (which I liked over the SMFW setup) can hold for 100K miles, including towing, then, that's what's going back in.

You'll benefit from this thread

PS thanks for the link mate :)

Archived