LegacyGT.com

Start-Up Squeel/Grind

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine has been doing this since new when it is about 35 degrees F or colder and I am still waiting for the effing part to fail completely so I know what the hell it is. Does it about every tenth start when the ambient temps are right and the motor is stone cold.
It is still ugly.

Happens in my 05 MT and I've found if you know your car well enough and can time the engine turnover just right, you can avoid the normal, but annoying, squeel. I try to let go of the key at the perfect moment.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

7F this AM, no noise on start up.

BTW for those that are following the gas smell thread from a couple weeks back, no gas smell either since I lockwired the fuel hose by #1 injector. I put .041" lockwire on both sides of the clamp.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...
i guess i'll +1 myself on the squeal mine sounds more like gil_ong's but longer

-5F temps here though, 07 model though.... i'll check my belts when i have the chance to.

+1 for the same video. I replaced both belts and the sound didn't change a bit. Anyone try replacing their starter yet?

+1 for the same video. I replaced both belts and the sound didn't change a bit. Anyone try replacing their starter yet?

Yes, I had mine replaced when the car was in the body shop in Early Feb.

The starter is easy to replace once you remove the TMIC. The noise has not come back. For most of these noises it's the starter. Belts make a different sound.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had this squeal too. For me, it turned out to be the crank pulley. If you search you'll find that this is fairly common. I ignored it until the AC belt came off and chewed up the condenser connector and the tbelt cover.

Pulley had completely separated and came out in 2 pieces when I pulled it off.

Installed Perrin LW pulley and squeal is gone.

• 1 month later...
i guess i'll +1 myself on the squeal mine sounds more like gil_ong's but longer

-5F temps here though, 07 model though.... i'll check my belts when i have the chance to.

Older thread but mine sounds just like his video as well. Anyone have any resolution aside from the crank pulley?

I noticed my PS and AC belts are looking pretty bad. Going to replace them but I'm not anticipating the intermittently squeal to disappear

Well damn I has this squelch also, thought it was cleared up after changing some pullys and all the belts, but a few days ago it did it again. Waiting for starter to go out and I can see if its that.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Well damn I has this squelch also, thought it was cleared up after changing some pullys and all the belts, but a few days ago it did it again. Waiting for starter to go out and I can see if its that.

Let us know! I know mine isn't belt related at all.

• 1 year later...

Time to replace or rebuild your starter while the weather is still nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 2 months later...
People ...it's the starter, period ...if you have anything like noise in the video at least. I had the same issue on my mazda. It took 3 starters from crapozone before it went away. I found starter rebuild company few blocks from my home so will try that route. It's just too annoying for me and even with perfect timing on letting go the key, it will grind like a little bitch when very cold.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but mine started making this noise shortly after my AC went.....thoughts?

It tends to occur in the cold AM, and my belts are in great shape. I was reading all of the posts, and tend to agree that it is likely the starter, but was unsure of the coincidence of timing with my AC failure.

**I am unsure if my compressor is bad or just the clutch.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived