LegacyGT.com

Start-Up Squeel/Grind

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Add me to the list as well. The sound in the video sounds very similar to mine, but in the vid the sound kinda skips whereas mine is a consistent squealish noise that starts loud and tapers of to silence in about .5 - 1 second. I've had my LGT 5MT for 2 1/2 years and and so far both winters when the weather drops below about 35 degrees I occasionally get this noise. It's not every morning...it just kinda picks and chooses when it wants to act up. If I start the car and it makes the noise..immediately turn it off and restart it, the noise doesn't happen. I was thinking it may be a starter problem too but like others have said, if it was the starter and it's been doing that for a couple years you'd think it'd be dead by now.. So I'm just gonna leave it alone until if finally decides to give. I am pretty interested to know what really is causing the noise tho, if anyone can figure it out for sure let us know!

That's exactly what mine does as well. I found directions for cleaning and lubing the starter and was set to do that while I had off for Christmas, but it was fine the last couple weeks. Then when I started my car this morning it made the sound again. :-(

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

mine did it once at 7 degrees but after the engine warmed up was fine..not to worrried about it as my old car (mazda suk(6)) no offense to anyone...use to squil every start up cold, hot, warm, hurricane, blizzards, tornadoes, tsunamis, name it...thats why i drive a LGT :icon_bigg

lol. i bet having the temps drop from 50s yesterday to 20s today didn't help!

where in WNY are you?

I'm a little over an hour south of you near Letchworth State Park.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I also get the squeal when starting up but it's not the only time I hear it. When turning the wheel at very low speeds it squeals like a pig and the engine RPMs start to drop. I can't figure it out.

That'll be a belt slipping.

Its a 00-04 thing too... Mine does it now once i leave my car outside in the cold for hours, i thought it might be some grease freezing inside one of the pullies/bearings in the surpintine or timing area or a belt just slipping due to some frozen moisture on the belt.

It may just be a strange coincidence or it may be a solution to the problem...I originally started this thread because of hte strange sound my car was making on every "cold" start-up below 40 degrees....Well about 3 weeks ago my car became due for it's first oil change since me owning it, being an avid AMSOIL user in everythign I own, and with the Turbo Engine considered, I figured might as well cough up the dough and put Amsoil in the Scoobaru. Mind you it has been Winter (below freezing temps) here in Western PA since about mid November....Well kinda funny and unbelievable but ever since I fed my car some Amsoil the strange morning screech has vanished!!!!! Not once have I heard it since the morning before I changed the oil and the temp has ranged from 5 degrees to 50 degrees wit hit currently in the twenties all day everyday recently...This may back the theory that the noise is hte bendix in the starter not retracting fast enough in the morning, in which case the fix would be better lubrication from the Amsoil allowing it to retract fast enough when cold, maybe??? IDK exactly, it may just be a coincidence, but all I know is I havent heard that god awful screech ever since the Amsoil transfusion :)

your starter does not get lubrication from your engine oil.

on a diff note, i sent the video to a few people. i had several replies of "tighten your belts," but my mechanic called me a few days later and told me it's the bendix. looks like i'll be checking the belts' tensions this week no matter what.

POST #100! yay!

Guest PeteAWD
I thought it was my belts. I tightened them up slightly. It stopped, but eventually started to make that noise again. I was hoping it's not the turbo bearing.

The engine oi doesn't lube the starter motor? If I may ask what does then? and like I said it may have been a complete coincidence, but even this morning (17 degrees and 2 fresh inches of snow) NO SCREECH/SQUEEL and my car has NOT done it since putting AMSOIL in the motor...and mine made the sound EVERY morning with temps below 40 degrees from about the end of OCtober up through mid December when I changed the oil

the solution is to replace the starter. But in my case with this noise happening on/off for a few years now. I see no need to spend the cash.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived