LegacyGT.com

Rota Grids Finally ON

cbarela

Have to +1 the "too wide a wheel on too narrow a tire" sentiment. And not because of performance, I think it just looks broken with that look. That war will rage on for eternity though, so who cares.

Regardless of my or others opinions, nice looking ride! Looks amazing in profile.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're right. safety is only an issue when you're racing. how silly of me. :rolleyes:

any quality tire wont suddenly fail if it has a slight stretch. I would do a plus one stretch but that would be my limit. meaning 235/40 max, i would go 225/40. but maybe I am biased to manuf. specs considering for 5 years I communted 80 miles a day, 7 days a week doing 75 mph running 80 psi on 35 psi max tires, oh and with 2" extended upper control arms. :)

I just do not understand the purpose of doing it. Why run a set of rims larger that you should? I can understand running larger tires - in theory, more traction. But more wheel without the benefits?? I guess I just do not understand. Maybe I have curbed too many wheels in my day.

any quality tire wont suddenly fail if it has a slight stretch. I would do a plus one stretch but that would be my limit. meaning 235/40 max, i would go 225/40. but maybe I am biased to manuf. specs considering for 5 years I communted 80 miles a day, 7 days a week doing 75 mph running 80 psi on 35 psi max tires, oh and with 2" extended upper control arms. :)

Of course tire manufacturers will have generous safety factors, it is not in their interest to sell tires that might fail at high speeds and kill people.

But when you use a product like that in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer, there is a real chance that you are compromising the SF, and I doubt you know by how much. I sure don't, and when I have any doubt I just won't risk it.

Stretching the tire will induce full time bending stresses in the sidewall, not transitional ones as when you are cornering with a correctly mounted tire. This may or may not be an issue, depending on the materials and how well they remain bonded to each other. On top of that you have fatigue, the stress cycles every rotation. At 75 mph a 2' diameter tire spins at about 1050 rpm. That's a lot of load cycles, over 25 million in 30k miles. And how well does the bead stay seated when it is getting twisted by putting the tire into that geometry? Why take the risk if you don't know?

I just do not understand the purpose of doing it. Why run a set of rims larger that you should? I can understand running larger tires - in theory, more traction. But more wheel without the benefits?? I guess I just do not understand. Maybe I have curbed too many wheels in my day.

I agree and in someone else's thread a while back I was chastized for not see the view point of our resident hella flush crew. Now I see a post where most dissagree with the OP. That's just weird...

Why I personally dislike the look is from a very clear memory of where this look started. I lived through it from the beginning (or at least when it started to become more common) and it has had a lasting affect. It was born from a combination of the SoCal lowrider scene of the early 80'ies and the move from Impalas and the like to Civics and Sentras. Back then the farther you could push them out the cooler they thought they were.

This isn't a look I want to associate with. I didn't get it then and don't now. Those kids were emulating a street scene and knew nothing of any kind of racing. I was following Rally, F1, etc and had an appreciation for "performance" mods. I can't comment on the international scene.

Anyway, it should be our job as fellow LGTer's for point out the obvious in an effort to keep our friends a tiny bit safer.

This is a looks only thing, and if they know that and are aware that their driving habits should be similar to driving with a donut spare on then they are good to go.

To the OP, sorry man, some of us get where you are coming from even if it's not our thing but more and more people that do like it don't understand where we are coming from (some of old timers anyway).

Side profile looked SICK though, wider tires and more negative and in a 9" and I may go for it. If only I could find a rim in 9" and the right offset.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I actually like the setup that you have on your avatar better.

GL

X

I got them a month after I bought the car in 2005. They are the AXIS Decades with the Maxis Lip System. The offset on them is actually less than the Rotas I have now (i.e., et35 vs. et38), but only a 18x8 wide wheel.

I still have them, but just grew tired with the multiple spokes. I'm lazy, easier to clean six wide spokes than 10 skinny ones.

I agree and in someone else's thread a while back I was chastized for not see the view point of our resident hella flush crew. Now I see a post where most dissagree with the OP. That's just weird...

Why I personally dislike the look is from a very clear memory of where this look started. I lived through it from the beginning (or at least when it started to become more common) and it has had a lasting affect. It was born from a combination of the SoCal lowrider scene of the early 80'ies and the move from Impalas and the like to Civics and Sentras. Back then the farther you could push them out the cooler they thought they were.

This isn't a look I want to associate with. I didn't get it then and don't now. Those kids were emulating a street scene and knew nothing of any kind of racing. I was following Rally, F1, etc and had an appreciation for "performance" mods. I can't comment on the international scene.

Anyway, it should be our job as fellow LGTer's for point out the obvious in an effort to keep our friends a tiny bit safer.

This is a looks only thing, and if they know that and are aware that their driving habits should be similar to driving with a donut spare on then they are good to go.

To the OP, sorry man, some of us get where you are coming from even if it's not our thing but more and more people that do like it don't understand where we are coming from (some of old timers anyway).

Side profile looked SICK though, wider tires and more negative and in a 9" and I may go for it. If only I could find a rim in 9" and the right offset.

No worries here.

I have been in the car scene for over 16 years now. I know this a look that is not for everyone. But how many mods have we seen that may not be right for us personally? How many times have we been to an event that someone is proudly displaying their taste in modding, but we do not agree. Hell I have seen some interesting approaches at large events such as SEMA that I do not agree with. Probably will see some this year as well (can't wait Nov 1st cannot come quickly enough).

But, do we publicly disagree with their vehicle for all to see to prove our logic and possibly embarass them? I'm hoping probably not, because I do not and will not be a part of that.

Just a word of advice to everyone, "don't do that." Let's keep the scene civilized and mature. Let's foster friendship and interest. No one style is the best or worst. It's just style, don't take it so personal.

^^ amen to that!

Sometimes it's not easy to figure out if the one going for that look truly realizes the pros/cons and we're here to help with that to.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I personally opted for the 8.5" width Grids, because I realized that they would have a more timeless look than the low offset 9.5" wide Grids. If they fit the car, they would look a little better, like a 9" wide that someone suggested. But they do look a little too trendy for me, and trends come and go. The only thing about this trend that bugs me is the tiny stretched tires. Either way, I do kind of like the trend right now purely aesthetically, so props to a clean looking car, OP.
On the search for a new DD...

people have been drifting with these setup for years...thats going sideways at 100mph

That's enough to convince me that it's safe for normal street use

Plus its not like your putting 205s on a 11" wide wheel

Some of you are just too stubborn to open to new ideas

Agreed. I just don't see how stretching tires does anything positive, it can only put additional stresses in the tire that it may not have been designed to take. OP can put 275's or 285's on those rims, but only with some pretty serious fender flares.

Either 9.5 is too wide for the car or the offset is wrong, I don't think the rim should project past the sheet metal.

completely agree. On my STI, I had 18x9 rims and had the stock 245's on them. they were stretched and looked like crap, so I replaced them with 265's which was just about perfect. Stretched tires wear down quicker and yes, don't look right.

If you're going to run that wide of rims, get the tires that go with it. 225's on 9.5"??? :(:eek:

But it's your car and if you like it, guess who cares what anyone else thinks.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

little stretch look on a 9.5 would be 245-255

just confirming fit on struts and lowering springs? not coilovers? opie is using struts and lowering springs

Thanks

I am taking notes for future

Whats the offset, I think theres 2 offsets for this rim size??

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

spring and strut combo is not as stiff, thus more chance to rub

however you dont lower your car as much when your on springs...

with coils, you can cut it much closer

like credit card fitment

and i think theres more than 2 offsets available...i know theres one that's in the low teens...